Thread: Clutch engagement/disengagement point adjustability?

Country
    United States

Clutch engagement/disengagement point adjustability?

Having just finished replacing my stock clutch (Brammo Ecotec) with a GM Performance model, depressing the clutch pedal feels normal. Releasing the pedal allows the clutch to grab about a half-inch off the firewall which is a little quick in comparison to what I was used to, both in this car and other cars.

I'm assuming that the nut on the pedal-to-master cylinder threaded shaft is there for adjustability in this situation. Has anyone else done a clutch swap and run in to this same side-effect? I'm going to bleed it one additional time and then will likely see if the rod/nut will allow the adjustment I'm looking for.
    Ariel Atom 2, Ecotec 300, owner since 2007. Drive, Detail, Improve, Repeat. Visit my website.

Country
    United States
    Hydraulic clutches index,or "adjust" to the height of the installed (loaded) pressure plates fingers. As the clutch disc wears,the fingers retract away from the flywheel face,or their "new disc" starting point,and the point of pedal engagement rises.A worn out clutch will engage almost at the top of the pedal travel. A new clutch setup usually will start with a low engagement point.and over time move up slightly.An organic disc wears much faster than a ceramic/metallic disc under the same use (or abuse) and engagement height will rise accordingly. I would leave it like it is,unless it really bugs you.
    The power of an Atom is a terrible thing to waste! Atom owner/operator since 2007. The more you chase perfection,the faster it becomes. John Force for President! (I asked him once in person...he laughed)

Neutron
    Country
    United States
    Brammo once made these pedal extenders for us short people (before changing to the sparcos I had to tippytoe the clutch pedal to get it far enough to disengage with the seat all the way forward). Perhaps TMI has some of these left over you could use until the clutch wears a little.
    the high profile toy thrower

Country
    United States
    Great info Max, thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by MadMaxAtom View Post
    I would leave it like it is,unless it really bugs you.
    It works just fine, but it really does bug me - the engagement point being so different from other cars and being very touchy so close to the floor.

Quote Originally Posted by bolus View Post
    Brammo once made these pedal extenders for us short people...
    I could accomplish the same by moving the pedal box or seat, but that's not quite the issue that's providing the annoyance in this situation.

I ended up loosening the jam nut on the rod that connects the clutch master cylinder to the clutch pedal. The rod then spun freely, and a total of 3 turns (maybe an 1/8 inch change at max) was all that it took to make the pedal feel exactly as it should. Took 3 minutes and couldn't be an easier adjustment. It's stuff like this that makes me appreciate how easy this car is to work on. Most of the time.
    Ariel Atom 2, Ecotec 300, owner since 2007. Drive, Detail, Improve, Repeat. Visit my website.