Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: To Atom or Not to Atom???

  1. #1
    n00b
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    3
    Country
    United States

    Cool To Atom or Not to Atom???

    Well, that's really not the question. I think everyone would if they could. I am new to the site guys. I just recently discovered the Ariel Atom and fell instantly in love. I have typically been a big motorcycle/muscle car guy. I currently own a 2008 Suzuki GSXR1000 and 2006 SC Saleen as a few of my toys. Next on the list...... an Atom! Well, hopefully. I must have spent 20 hours over the past few days looking at links and review and tons of videos. Seem like the general consensus is that the Atom is pretty much a bottle full of awesomeness. I am looking for as much advice as you folks can possibly help out with. I have been looking around at some used models for sale (which seem few and far between), and it seems like there are a few huge price swings. Some 2006 models with less options going for more than some 2009 models. I would like to find something already in the US. I found this in Canada, but not sure about Ebay.. anyone know anything about it?http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Ariel...ht_500wt_1182I reached out to ask a few questions but have not heard anything back yet. i live about 3 hours south of TMI and have considered visiting their place, although I am not sure they encourage uninvited guest. I have considered purchasing one new, but know very little. Seems like they start out at the $53k price range, and have tons of different options. It seems easy to get lost and I am sure they cost can rack up quickly. I am also curious as to how banks treat financing for things like this. I have accounts with the NC state employees credit union and Bank of America. I am willing to be the credit union is a better spot. If you order from TMI, how long do they take to build? I'm not really in any rush, but I am sure I would be as soon as I ordered one. Could be a good opportunity to save up some cash though.Please take a few moments to help me out with any information/experiences you guys/gals have had. Tell me about how much you love your Atom's or about any experiences you had purchasing/building one. Things you would have done differently, or any advice on financing or registering one for street use??? Thanks alot and I look forward to talking with you all....

  2. #2
    Neutrino MadMaxAtom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Usually in my shop..
    Posts
    1,583
    Country
    United States
    Buy as much Atom as you can afford. That is my advice. You won't regret it. There really hasn't been a "bad" Atom built,as it really is all about the whole idea of light and airy..just like a good motorcycle. TMI is a great place to start..especially if you are that close;maybe you should swing by for at least a ride. Be forerwarned..once you take a ride..you will be hooked. Assuming you "get" it... (I love Atoms enough to own three..)
    Last edited by MadMaxAtom; May 13, 2012 at 05:50 PM.
    The power of an Atom is a terrible thing to waste! Atom owner/operator since 2007. The more you chase perfection,the faster it becomes. John Force for President! (I asked him once in person...he laughed)

  3. #3

    Atom Purchase Question

    The first question I'd ask is do you want to register the Atom to drive it on the street? If so, then you need to find out the requirements of your state and determine if it can be registered. Some states appear easy and others may be very difficult. Another issue that some people have mentioned is their ability to obtain insurance. I'd answer these questions first. You don't want to buy an Atom and find you can't drive it (unless it's going to be a dedicated track car).

    Also, with registering an Atom, it may not only be the ability of the car to meet the motor vehicle safety requirements, emission requirements may also be a concern. It pays to do your homework upfront.

    The above questions will guide you on subsequent decisions with used vs. new, and whether you need to purchase the chassis and the drivetrain separately.

    After that, it boils down to your preferences and pocketbook.

    Good luck.



    Quote Originally Posted by Jdnovy View Post
    Well, that's really not the question. I think everyone would if they could. I am new to the site guys. I just recently discovered the Ariel Atom and fell instantly in love. I have typically been a big motorcycle/muscle car guy. I currently own a 2008 Suzuki GSXR1000 and 2006 SC Saleen as a few of my toys. Next on the list...... an Atom! Well, hopefully. I must have spent 20 hours over the past few days looking at links and review and tons of videos. Seem like the general consensus is that the Atom is pretty much a bottle full of awesomeness. I am looking for as much advice as you folks can possibly help out with. I have been looking around at some used models for sale (which seem few and far between), and it seems like there are a few huge price swings. Some 2006 models with less options going for more than some 2009 models. I would like to find something already in the US. I found this in Canada, but not sure about Ebay.. anyone know anything about it?http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Ariel...ht_500wt_1182I reached out to ask a few questions but have not heard anything back yet. i live about 3 hours south of TMI and have considered visiting their place, although I am not sure they encourage uninvited guest. I have considered purchasing one new, but know very little. Seems like they start out at the $53k price range, and have tons of different options. It seems easy to get lost and I am sure they cost can rack up quickly. I am also curious as to how banks treat financing for things like this. I have accounts with the NC state employees credit union and Bank of America. I am willing to be the credit union is a better spot. If you order from TMI, how long do they take to build? I'm not really in any rush, but I am sure I would be as soon as I ordered one. Could be a good opportunity to save up some cash though.Please take a few moments to help me out with any information/experiences you guys/gals have had. Tell me about how much you love your Atom's or about any experiences you had purchasing/building one. Things you would have done differently, or any advice on financing or registering one for street use??? Thanks alot and I look forward to talking with you all....

  4. #4
    n00b
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    3
    Country
    United States
    Quote Originally Posted by timcking View Post
    The first question I'd ask is do you want to register the Atom to drive it on the street? If so, then you need to find out the requirements of your state and determine if it can be registered. Some states appear easy and others may be very difficult. Another issue that some people have mentioned is their ability to obtain insurance. I'd answer these questions first. You don't want to buy an Atom and find you can't drive it (unless it's going to be a dedicated track car).

    Also, with registering an Atom, it may not only be the ability of the car to meet the motor vehicle safety requirements, emission requirements may also be a concern. It pays to do your homework upfront.

    The above questions will guide you on subsequent decisions with used vs. new, and whether you need to purchase the chassis and the drivetrain separately.

    After that, it boils down to your preferences and pocketbook.

    Good luck.

    Well I can say that I am most certainly interested in it for street use. I have already reached out to my insurance company and started some research with the DMV... why did you suggest purchasing the chassis and drivetrain separately??? Is this so it can be officially called a "Kit Car"?

  5. #5
    Neutrino
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Dallas Texas...YEE-HAW
    Posts
    1,213
    Country
    United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Jdnovy View Post
    Well I can say that I am most certainly interested in it for street use. I have already reached out to my insurance company and started some research with the DMV... why did you suggest purchasing the chassis and drivetrain separately??? Is this so it can be officially called a "Kit Car"?


    that's the intention of them offering the rolling chassis but it's up to your state how it will all work.


    as for insurance, a large number of atom owners use Rally insurance, do you have their contact info? I don't have it off hand but just as a point of reference.

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •