Thread: SB100ing a Nationwide Cup Car?

Lepton
    Country
    United States

SB100ing a Nationwide Cup Car?

If you can register an Atom as a kit car in California, why not do it with a NASCAR? Get a new chassis and run a LSx and T56, and you should be good to go to register it as an exoskeleton car, no?

Wonder if you can spring it softly enough for the street, and what kind of ground clearance you could get without a body if you rerouted the exhaust? Looks like it would be pretty easy to change sway bars, coilovers in the rear, and shocks/springs up front.

If you tilted the radiator mount back a bit, and you removed the plating around the rear frame, I bet you could even fab up a good downforce body for it.

JP
    2011 Ariel Atom Not Supercharged
    2006 Range Rover Sport Supercharged

Country
    United States
    Looks like a white elephant. Intriguing idea..but it does begs the question..why? An Atom I fully understand getting street legal.. but 3600lbs of crash cage..not so much. Although..it would be kinda cool to cruise around in an old Winston Cup car... #9 Coors Melling '86 T-Bird comes to mnd..
    The power of an Atom is a terrible thing to waste! Atom owner/operator since 2007. The more you chase perfection,the faster it becomes. John Force for President! (I asked him once in person...he laughed)

Ion
    Country
    United States
    I love the Idea.
    Things that go BRAPPP in the night (and Sunday afternoon too) !

Lepton
    Country
    United States
    Quote Originally Posted by MadMaxAtom View Post
    Looks like a white elephant. Intriguing idea..but it does begs the question..why? An Atom I fully understand getting street legal.. but 3600lbs of crash cage..not so much. Although..it would be kinda cool to cruise around in an old Winston Cup car... #9 Coors Melling '86 T-Bird comes to mnd..
    Why? Because this is America. We were drinking and watching the F1 race Saturday night and the good idea fairy visited us. We think it would be hysterical to show up at a cars and coffee in a Ricky Bobby car.

JP

Country
    United States
    "We were drinking..." Say no more... In the good ole days, "stock" cars were based on something you could actually buy at a car dealership. I don't believe there is even one bolt that is "stock" any longer. I still watch every week in season. Amazing vehicles to be able to drive 160+mph for hundreds of miles at a time. "the good idea fairy visited us..." you sure you weren't smoking that wacky tobbacky?
    Last edited by MadMaxAtom; April 16, 2012 at 02:09 PM.
    The power of an Atom is a terrible thing to waste! Atom owner/operator since 2007. The more you chase perfection,the faster it becomes. John Force for President! (I asked him once in person...he laughed)

Lepton
    Country
    United States
    Quote Originally Posted by MadMaxAtom View Post
    "We were drinking..." Say no more... In the good ole days, "stock" cars were based on something you could actually buy at a car dealership. I don't believe there is even one bolt that is "stock" any longer. I still watch every week in season. Amazing vehicles to be able to drive 160+mph for hundreds of miles at a time. "the good idea fairy visited us..." you sure you weren't smoking that wacky tobbacky?
    Nope - the Good Idea Fairy is actually a US Army fixture: