Thread: Why a Windshield is required on public road!!

Electron
    Country
    United States

Why a Windshield is required on public road!!

This happened to someone I know, earlier today - he is okay

541971_388882321146358_100000737801599_1207594_287003513_n.jpg

Country
    United States
    Meh, if Massa can take a .75kg spring to the face at 150mph wearing a helmet then I suspect that a helmet's sufficient for public roads at half the speed.<br><br> No windshield for me thanks.

Country
    United States
    Are you shitting me? This is the Massa incident where he took a spring to the head and was almost killed. Judge for yourself if you would like to experience the same thing:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MYwtp6M7nU4 Not me...I have seen too much flying debris and been in enough close calls to go without better protection than a face shield ever again. If the Massa incident had been a direct center impact,he would surely be dead. It's just not worth the risk considering there is a viable alternative available. I guess I must be getting old..and cautious. There are old racers,and bold racers..but very few old bold racers...That looks like a Ford Focus..very rugged little cars!
    Last edited by MadMaxAtom; April 12, 2012 at 12:31 PM.
    The power of an Atom is a terrible thing to waste! Atom owner/operator since 2007. The more you chase perfection,the faster it becomes. John Force for President! (I asked him once in person...he laughed)

Country
    United States
    Max, you are always entertaining. A year ago anybody that put a windshield on their car was basically a communist. Now anybody that drives around WITHOUT one is an idiot. Everytime you post I just want to get out the popcorn and see what's next. And I hope you respond to this after 10pm your time, those posts are the best

Country
    United States
    The number of close calls (or near-death experiences) I've had with the Atom at the hands of stupid Motorists in mobile tanks is HUGE compared to the amount of high speed road debris I've been subjected to. It's the same with my motorcycle; having to dodge inattentive drivers involves an order of magnitude more risk than any road debris I might catch in the face.

No one seems to notice the number of deaths on American roads every year. It's close to 40,000 people annually, most of which are in a full cage. Driving is dangerous, people, you're in denial if you think it isn't. If you're seriously concerned about a rock in the face every time you get on the road you should hedge your bets and cower in your basements.

Again, no windshield for me thanks.

Neutron
    Country
    United States
    "the only way to win is not to play"
    -WOPR

Country
    United States
    I was gifted with an extra thick head for a reason, no windshield for me ... besides I look over the friggin things anyway.

Country
    United States
    The one thing I pride myself on is the ability to adapt in life. In other words..change my opinion based on factual experiences. To live otherwise is to go through life in denial of the truth.
    The truth is,I have seen firsthand what flying objects can do to an unprotected noggin while on the road/track. The Massa incident is well known. To dismiss the incident as something that can only happen at 150mph would be easy,except I have personally seen debris from an oncoming vehicle traveling at 75mph, come directly at me while I am approaching said vehicle at 75mph...therefore the object will indeed impact me at 150mph worth of force. I have seen all kinds of stuff tossed out windows by people who think nothing of it: a glass of ice seems harmless enough..same with an apple core or banana peel.Try some of them to the face. People just don't think,or give a shit about what goes out the window...not to mention plain old road debris picked up by cars,trucks in front of you,or coming the opposite direction. I watched a branch deflect off a car and into a riding buddy who was knocked unconscoius and crashed. Not pretty. I have been personally hit in the face shield by a bird.Not fun.
    I use to base my opinion on just the looks alone on the windshield for the Atom.Not any more. I don't advocate everyone go out and buy a w/s..however, this thread was started because of a real life occurence that could have very well injured an operator if it had hit them in the face/head. My motorcycles all have windshields as do my Atoms. I consider myself lucky enough to have lived long enough to have a change of mind in regards to head and face protection while operating vehicles at speeds that can make small objects deadly. So far,I have fully enjoyed the lack of any debris/bugs/rain hitting me..and the loss of "wind in the face" has actually allowed me to focus better while driving,while giving up...what??
    Last edited by MadMaxAtom; April 12, 2012 at 05:49 PM.
    The power of an Atom is a terrible thing to waste! Atom owner/operator since 2007. The more you chase perfection,the faster it becomes. John Force for President! (I asked him once in person...he laughed)

Lepton
    Country
    United States
    I was stuck on the freeway in the Atom behind a dump truck for 5 seconds and got peppered with gravel. It hurt like getting shot by Dick Cheney. Glad I was wearing a helmet.

JP
    2011 Ariel Atom Not Supercharged
    2006 Range Rover Sport Supercharged