Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Eddie racing some open wheel cars at Hallet

Neutron
    Country
    United States

Eddie racing some open wheel cars at Hallet

For some reason I thought his car had an ecotec. Looks like a Honda in this one

Lepton
    Country
    United States
    Is that an FE (Formula Enterprise) that's chasing him?

5035.jpg

Country
    United States
    C'mon Bolus..they aren't racing..they just happen to be out on track lapping at the same time. They could be FE cars or maybe FC..either way..an Atom is no match for either.(using equally talented drivers) Formula cars are about 1 inch off the track..they are REAL race cars,with incredible handling. Tough to compete against them in a street car like the Atom. They may look similar,but are worlds apart in performance. That looks like Eddies new Atom3..so Honda power with supercharger (300hp I believe I read elsewhere..)
    Last edited by MadMaxAtom; April 4, 2012 at 10:47 AM.
    The power of an Atom is a terrible thing to waste! Atom owner/operator since 2007. The more you chase perfection,the faster it becomes. John Force for President! (I asked him once in person...he laughed)

Neutron
    Country
    United States
    Race (verb): "Move or progress swiftly or at full speed" I think my usage counts.

You tube video says it was a competition. Hallet runs this competition and they just ran recently.
    http://www.hallettracing.net/comma.html

Country
    United States
    ^Ha! Even time trials is not true racing. Wheel to wheel for position against competitors simultaneously is racing. Everything else is just driving fast. At the end of that video the formula car drops into the pits...usually not done during a competition session.
    The power of an Atom is a terrible thing to waste! Atom owner/operator since 2007. The more you chase perfection,the faster it becomes. John Force for President! (I asked him once in person...he laughed)

Neutron
    Country
    United States
    So they have a open wheel division. they run practice, qualifying and race sessions and then offer points for races based on the position they finish the RACE and then announce a yearly winner based on points.

http://www.hallettracing.net/pdf/COM..._Book_2008.pdf

rebuttal?
    Last edited by bolus; April 4, 2012 at 11:32 AM.

Country
    United States
    OK,you "win"..they are racing. My definition of a race must be outdated.
    Last edited by MadMaxAtom; April 4, 2012 at 12:19 PM.

Country
    United States

That was the first day out with my new 2012 Ariel Atom 3 demonstrator, and it had 33 miles on it when I arrived at Hallett. Since the Atoms run so much faster than the other street cars that run in HST, they call it, High Speed Touring, the Hallett management/instructors "suggested" Randy Lamp and I and the other Atoms would "have more fun" running with the open wheel race cars, which is what we have done for about four years now. So when there are practice sessions, qualifying sessions, and actual races, I am out there at the same time. All the "racecars" have transducers on them and the track scorers record their lap times, finishing order, etc. I have my own data recorder that gives me (but not the track management) lap times , so I don't show up in their scoring. So I start last, and pass who I can.

Our open wheel sessions have Formula Mazdas, Formula Fords, sometimes some other classes , and the school cars (and I don't know what they call the school cars).

And sure enough we do "have more fun" running with the real single seat race cars. We typically start with 10 cars, like we did this past Saturday and Sunday, and after I pass the school cars on the first or second lap, I normally get past a Formula Ford or two, and then I pretty much usually have open track so I can do whatever I am capable of, with little or no traffic. The one or two Formula Mazdas are out of sight ahead of me.

When we originally started running these track days, and doing it with the Corvettes, Vipers, Porsches, Mustangs, Miatas, etc, in the HST or High Speed Touring class, we had LOTS of traffic, hardly ever got a "clean" lap without having to wait for a straightaway to pass slower cars (no passing allowed in the corners), so trying to do a career best lap was basically impossible.

At the last of last year, when my 2011 Atom 3 demo had ~1400 or so miles on it and was well broken in, and I was used to it, we started 14 cars, I believe, in the final, and there were only three or four of them still ahead of me at the finish, if I remember right.

If you noticed in the video that I had a passenger, that was one of the Formula Ford guys that was pitted close to me, and he gave up driving his own Formula Ford , to passenger in my new car. With him in the car with me, we ran 1:24 something, which is about what his racecar does with, of course, only him on board. Later I had a best of 1:23 something, which should improve with more seat time for me in this new car, and more engine time. 160 something miles at the end of the weekend, and I'll bet it will make more power with more miles.

The Formula Ford guy that rode with me said he is a potential Atom buyer. He said something to the effect that he could go as fast or faster than a Formula Ford, with less work, and more comfort (especially foot room) and do it for about the same money, and be able to take a passenger with him to the Dairy Queen or Sonic.
    Hard to argue with any of that!

Cheers!
    Eddie
    Eddie FourFather Hill
    Top Fuel Champion on land and water
    www.eddiehillsfuncycles.com since 1966
    Honda, Kawasaki, Polaris, Yamaha

Country
    United States
    Oh, and Bolus, I do still have my first Atom II and have my Ecotec engine upgrades done (except for the HPtuners tuning, which is close now, but not quite finished).

Driving my modified Ecotec on the street around home, while working on real world tuning, makes me think it is going to work pretty good, when the ECU tuning is finally about right.

More on that when it is a bit further along.

Eddie
    Eddie FourFather Hill
    Top Fuel Champion on land and water
    www.eddiehillsfuncycles.com since 1966
    Honda, Kawasaki, Polaris, Yamaha

Neutron
    Country
    United States
    I love that the company "demonstrator" gets the muffler ripped off and gets some huge sticky slicks and goes racing. Imagine if that happened at the Hyundai dealer.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast