Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: differences between AA2 Brammo and AA3 TMI?

Electron
    Country
    United States

differences between AA2 Brammo and AA3 TMI?

Can you guys help me figure out the differences between AA2s and AA3s.

Also Did the AA2 need a retune and how easy or difficult is it? talking about GM Ecotec.

I also notice the front radiator fan missing on the AA2s - can this be added from the AA3s?

What upgrades or changes are recommended to the AA2?

Country
    United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyberbug View Post
    Can you guys help me figure out the differences between AA2s and AA3s.
    Per the thread title, you're talking about Brammo 2's vs. TMI 3's.

Also Did the AA2 need a retune and how easy or difficult is it? talking about GM Ecotec.
    "Need"? No, other than than any early non-upgraded cars that ran very rich.

The Brammo "300HP" cars didn't make anywhere near 300. My car made 225HP at the wheels on 91 Octane in a warm climate (Oklahoma).

The main issue is that the simple HP boosts that people try (like a smaller pulley on the supercharger) don't work for anything other than short periods of time because the supercharger isn't particularly efficient and raises the temperature of the air entering it. That's one of the reasons it is derisively referred to as "Heaton".

You can either stick with the supercharger (possibly swapping to a Harrop which doesn't run as hot) and try to cool down the inlet air, or switch to a turbocharger. Which is "better" depends on how much money you have to spend, how much horsepower you want (and when), and how creative you are in trying to stuff things into the Atom's small engine area.

In any case, changes like that will require you to start with a new ECU or reflash, since the most popular tuning software (HPTuners) doesn't work with the stock Brammo calibration numbers.

I also notice the front radiator fan missing on the AA2s - can this be added from the AA3s?
    Not sure what you mean here. The vertical radiator at the front of an Atom always has a fan. Depending on vintage (Brammo switched), it could be in front of or behind the radiator.

Brammo Ecotec cars also have a horizontal radiator up there, which also has a fan which tries to cool the supercharger.

What upgrades or changes are recommended to the AA2?
    At a minimum, any of the official Brammo changes that didn't get done on the car already (most listed on this site in the documentation library). Other than that, there are a number of things that owners have discovered (fuel tank gaskets, alignment thimbles), as well as any desired safety or performance improvements.

Electron
    Country
    United States
    Seems like a lot - If I am able to acquire one I will need the help from forum members to track all this down and fix. I can replace the ECU and have it retuned I have a local shop that can do that.
    May be in future if I have the funds install a intercooler from unique fabricating

but other essentials list I will need help with.

Neutron
    Country
    United States
    Remember the Brammo cars are still in the Enzo and Veyron power to weight ratio range. Still 40 more HP/Ton more than a Carrera GT even without the full 300 HP. No one orders a Veyron and then plans how to add more power before it shows up.

Electron
    Country
    United States
    Yeah, the only thing I would want to do immediately is get the roll bar, side panels and check on few known issues like brake lines, fuel lines and gasket and electrical. Upgrade the horn may be.

I'll be tapped out any way so upgrades will be in future, just want one in my garage.

Bank is giving me a hard time asking if it could be street legal, they are even asking me for a appraisal

Neutron
    Country
    United States
    I had a appraisal done for insurance a few years back. It was like $300.

Country
    United States
    As far as the side panels, not all of the early Brammo cars have the gussets welded on to mount them

Electron
    Country
    United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Norm View Post
    As far as the side panels, not all of the early Brammo cars have the gussets welded on to mount them
    tie wraps

Country
    United States
    just an FYI

Country
    United States
    Quote Originally Posted by bolus View Post
    No one orders a Veyron and then plans how to add more power before it shows up.
    Great statement to put it in the proper perspective.
    Ariel Atom 2, Ecotec 300, owner since 2007. Drive, Detail, Improve, Repeat. Visit my website.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast