Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 001 car?

Neutron
    Country
    United States
    The turbo was in the way on the back on his car. Plus this was just for him to pass tech at one of the tracks.

Country
    United States
    I remember shuffling a bunch of things to get mine through now

Didn't Jay Leno get Atom 001? Or is that urban legend?

Neutron
    Country
    United States
    the 001 car is about 15 cars into the build. The first batch had the UK vins. Leno has the first one of those.

Country
    United States
    Quote Originally Posted by bolus View Post
    The turbo was in the way on the back on his car. Plus this was just for him to pass tech at one of the tracks.
    It also made a good place to put a tow rope on, not that I ever needed one. Also good for bungy cords.

As far as I'm concerned, even the stock rollbar isn't gonna do a whole lot for you. Think "mousetrap". That's why the SRA cars have supports forward and aft. Pain in the ass to get into the car I'm sure, but it's not gonna come done across the back of your head when you hit something in a frontal combined with a roll.

The rollbar in the DP2.. now THERE'S a rollcage.

Country
    United States
    No way is a 1300lb Atom going to crush a stock track style rollbar in a rollover.By most competition build rules,the Atom could use a 1.5" dia. roll hoop,but it uses 2" tubing. Ten+ years in production,lots of user miles,and the Atom has an excellent safety record.Pretty good stats in my book. SRA's and most competition cages are built to a higher standard because the likelyhood of another car ending up on top of you are fairly good. If I were racing wheel to wheel competition,I would want something better than a 4 point rollbar for sure.
    I have to laugh when I see 3500lb street cars with 500lbs of zigzagging monkey bars inside..I mean WTF..are you going to drive that thing off the Empire State building?? I guess some do..
    Less is more. I come from a bike background, where you have NO protection,other than not crashing in the first place. Even an Atom with just the single center hoop is a huge step up in personal crash protection vs. a bike. I've been in some student cars that have so much tubing you can't even see out the back any more. I suppose what's a few hundred lbs. of weight when safety is concerned,right? Hmm..kind of defeats the whole "less is more" mantra. I guess one must weigh all the risks involved and make their own decisions...pun intended..
    Last edited by MadMaxAtom; April 5, 2012 at 06:49 AM.
    The power of an Atom is a terrible thing to waste! Atom owner/operator since 2007. The more you chase perfection,the faster it becomes. John Force for President! (I asked him once in person...he laughed)

Quote Originally Posted by bolus View Post
    the 001 car is about 15 cars into the build. The first batch had the UK vins. Leno has the first one of those.
    Any idea what the VIN (or the last few serial numbers) is on Leno's car?

Country
    United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve View Post
    Any idea what the VIN (or the last few serial numbers) is on Leno's car?
    Probably RAM275. It is the first of the 15 cars in the RAMxxx sequence completed (of 16 VINs allocated - RAM281's frame was damaged beyond repair during assembly) and is the only one of them with no CARFAX history. [As an example, your Atom has 10 records.]

I can believe that some of the later (A2RT PINs) cars were never titled, but not the first Brammo Atom ever. More likely, the DMV info on the RAM275 car is flagged so it doesn't get into public databases.

RAM275 is also a full carbon fiber car, including the tub, with race brakes and high-end shocks.

Electron
    Country
    United States
    Well looks like this 001 is sold someone is paying cash for it.

Thats okay, even though I had made a list of all the things that needed to be fixed on it
    I can be patient there will be one for me in future.

Not going to give up. I even have a quote for insurance on it

Neutron
    Country
    United States
    That was quick. Max, I think I no where you need to put your car on consignment.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast