Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Chasing GT3's at VIR

Up Quark
    Country
    United States

Chasing GT3's at VIR

A video of myself in my SRA chasing GT3's at a PCA event last week-end at VIR.

Note that the fastest SRA drivers are several seconds a lap faster than I am. Still, GT3's have a hard time keeping up. Considering the price difference between the two cars, this is quite amazing.

Neutron
    Country
    United States
    That looks fun. was it just a track day or some other sort of event?

Country
    United States
    Getting the most out of the VVT I see.. A well driven GT3 on good tires is a formidable foe. I was playing with one at Mt.Tremblant last year with my "lowly" Focus (has a turbocharged 2.3 Cosworth)..and pissed him off enough (as in passed him every session) that he left at noon..to return with his scrub "race" tires.. He still had a hard time. I thought the SRA's didn't run fenders..
    The power of an Atom is a terrible thing to waste! Atom owner/operator since 2007. The more you chase perfection,the faster it becomes. John Force for President! (I asked him once in person...he laughed)

Up Quark
    Country
    United States
    It was a PCA DE event. So, just a regular track day, basically.

About the fenders ... I showed up Saturday morning without fenders, as usual. I have attended other PCA events in the past, and fenders have never been an issue. However, on that day the chief instructor decided that open-wheel cars were not allowed on tack, based on "guidelines" from PCA national.

So Mark, Brent and Jensen from TMI spent a good chunk of Saturday afternoon modifying a set of fenders, and fitting them to my car to my car (yes, at TMI, even the VP of sales and marketing occasionally uses a torque wrench). That's another great thing about SRA: you get outstanding support from the factory.

Country
    United States
    Not affraid of the rev limiter are you? Some of those downshifts are a little unnerving but you're moving right along anyway. Thanks for sharing the vid.

Electron
    Country
    United States
    Do the SRA Atoms run the Spa mirrors?

Up Quark
    Country
    United States
    Quote Originally Posted by McFred View Post
    Not affraid of the rev limiter are you? Some of those downshifts are a little unnerving but you're moving right along anyway. Thanks for sharing the vid.
    Yes, rev matching is one of the (many) things that I have to improve, and I still have a hard time anticipating the rev limit. It's a work in progress .

Up Quark
    Country
    United States
    Nice laps, Jean! Looks like the higher rev limit is helping on the back straight. What did Anita think of the Atom vs. the GT3s?

I need to get back with Mark & Brent about the fenders I need to run with SCCA- I suspect that's the same setup they were planning to do for me. Did you end up keeping that set? If you bought them but don't want to keep them, let me know as I could probably take them off your hands...

Up Quark
    Country
    United States
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkHyman View Post
    Nice laps, Jean! Looks like the higher rev limit is helping on the back straight. What did Anita think of the Atom vs. the GT3s?

I need to get back with Mark & Brent about the fenders I need to run with SCCA- I suspect that's the same setup they were planning to do for me. Did you end up keeping that set? If you bought them but don't want to keep them, let me know as I could probably take them off your hands...

I actually gave Anita a ride. She was very impressed with the car, and she had lots of comments about my driving .

I only had the fenders on loan for the day. TMI only had one set, which they had to modify to fit my car--so it's not as straightforward as taking the street fenders and mounting them on our cars. Mark is thinking of offering a kit for our cars (probably fiberglass), but I don't know when that will be available.

Country
    United States
    I will have a full set of CF stock Brammo AA2 fenders for sale soon. they will have the stays still attached. I am still using the fronts right now though

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast