Thread: Engine Light Question

Electron
    Country
    United States

Engine Light Question

AA 3

Does it have a Engine light and is it working from Factory?

What codes does it generate by default?

For a car to pass inspection, regardless if it is a kit car or not it must have a working OBD II, engine light and no codes

Electron
    Country
    United States
    Also the New K24 engine - would that resolve the old issues?

Electron
    Country
    United States
    Nothing no info from owners what codes are expected from factory and resolution?

Neutron
    Country
    United States
    No one is going to know about the k24 since they arent available yet so these would be great questions for Mark at TMI. Give him a call if you havent spoke with him yet. They are sensitive to the fact that people want to try and register. Its the reason that they started offering the roller kit.

The K20 Atom's that are out there in the US dont have OBD2 connectors without aftermarket engine computers. The GM Ecotec Atom's have OBD-2 connectors and its easy to hook up the engine light. (just a wire in the harness that needs to be connected).

I pass emission testing every 2 years. Though even though I need a Cat (and had a custom exhaust made with one) and a check engine light they never check for them. They just hook up the OBD connector and 30 seconds later Im done.

Electron
    Country
    United States
    Okay good to know, I was asking about the K20 actually in case I pick up an older AA.

I am visiting TMI next month so I have list of questions for Mark. I am hoping the K24 will not have this issue with the Hondata tune and all.

I just need to work out a solid light issue, as that will fail me in the kit car inspection.

Neutron
    Country
    United States
    cheep crap motorcycle DOT lights that you hook up just for inspection. Dont spend a ton on them

Electron
    Country
    United States
    Quote Originally Posted by bolus View Post
    cheep crap motorcycle DOT lights that you hook up just for inspection. Dont spend a ton on them
    Yeah, thing is I have to change ttem all
    turn signal, parking, brake etc, each lens must have a dot label I'll figure it out
    but looks of things it should be doable

Neutron
    Country
    United States
    Yeah its a pain in the ass. I have a $1200 exhaust that I put on once every 2 years to drive the 3 blocks to the emission testing center only to have them not check it. Oh well.... Its shiny at least

Atom registration issues

I have a little experience with this line of questions. First, I have a 2009 AA3, so everything I'm saying is referencing that. My AA3 did not have a 'check engine' light. And, in Nevada that's the first thing the DMV checks with emissions compliance. Since my car was a 2009, it's required to comply with OBDII requirements. With only one O2 sensor, that was another issue. The lack of a carbon canister is another concern.

When my car was connected to a NV emissions test machine (it did come with an OBDII connector), it would not pass since it only detected a few of the required functions.

The solution for me was to find a Hondata certified technician in California. He initially attempted to gain authorization to reprogram the OEM ECU, but that did not produce any favorable result. The only option then was to purchase and program a K-Pro unit. This necessitated installation of a mechanical throttle (a big improvement).

The end result was my car passing the annual emission test (one of the strictest in the nation), having improved drivability, and resulting in a gain of +20 hp at the rear wheels on 91 octane pump gas. It wasn't cheap, but it was worth the effort.