Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Desired upgrade - please share your experience

Neutron
    Country
    United States
    DP had fuelsafe make him a fuel cell. The run about $3000 for a custom made one

Country
    United States
    My Keizer wheels are a different offset and widths than the "other" Atoms they have made wheels for (according to Keizer) and I run Hoosier radial FA tires..MUCH nicer than bias plys in my experience. I will never go back to anything less on track for my Atom,especially here in the Northeast,where track temps are rather cool.
    If SCCA makes the Atom run in with formula cars in competition, you are dead meat at most SCCA events. Unless it rains or every formula car wrecks. Even an old formula Ford well driven will roast your ass. The Atom is a street car by design,and will always have a few built in shortcomings. Weight is one,along with its distribution. Nature of the beast. I can live with that..

Bolus,If that is the one Dennis/Palatov made,it's in my possession..
    Last edited by MadMaxAtom; March 13, 2012 at 06:17 PM.
    The power of an Atom is a terrible thing to waste! Atom owner/operator since 2007. The more you chase perfection,the faster it becomes. John Force for President! (I asked him once in person...he laughed)

Neutron
    Country
    United States
    It's the one that he put in his V8. Did he take it out and sell it to you?

Country
    United States
    I just checked my inventory..the Fuelsafe baffled cell I bought from him is different than the photo. It's for a stock Atom2 Ecotec. So,similar,but not the same..
    The power of an Atom is a terrible thing to waste! Atom owner/operator since 2007. The more you chase perfection,the faster it becomes. John Force for President! (I asked him once in person...he laughed)

Up Quark
    Country
    United States
    CalScott, it's already happened. One of the other SRA racers passed SCCA inspection last year and ran his SRA at Roebling Road in a regional event in SPU. His only issue was lack of fenders, and they let him slide that time. He reported that it was quite fun and the SRA was very popular- the SCCA SE Div was very welcoming and wanted to see more Atoms at their races.

Building on that, last Friday I had my car (and one of the other SRA cars) inspected by the chief scrutineer for the NC region; both were issued SCCA logbooks in SPU. According to the inspector, all I need before I race in SPU are fenders (Mark @ TMI is putting together a package of bolt-on road Atom fenders) and hooking up the fire bottle into a system (e.g., tubing & nozzles). I'm planning to get those settled and run my SRA in the joint MARRS/SARRC double event at VIR May 12-13.

General consensus seems to be that SPU (with fenders) is the best place for the SRA. FS had been suggested, but the SRA lacks a foot crush box and would be quite slow in the Formula group as CalScott suggested. The best SRA times on VIR full course have been about 2:05; my personal best so far is 2:16. Track record for FS is 1:55; track record for SPU is 2:10. So we ought to be competitive in SPU (some drivers will be very competitive); just need to be careful when going around the small production cars.

With respect to tires, I spoke with Mark & Brent at TMI last week and their recommendation was to run the Hoosier R6s for SCCA. As CalScott suggested, the A6s would be OK as well, but will probably not last as long and are not available in the stock SRA wheel sizes, so new wheels would be needed. TMI did get some A6s for testing, but the expectation was that it wasn't going to be worth changing over. For me personally, I still have some room to go on improving my driving before the tires become the rate-limiting step, so I'll probably keep things simple and stay with the R6s. I rode along with Mark for a couple of laps last week and that was really eye-opening.

Anyhow, if it all works out, I will be getting back to you in a couple of months with a report from my first two SCCA races. Should be a nice tuneup for the SRA series that starts in June.

And on that note, if any of you road Atom types want to come run with us at VIR on SRA event days, please let me know. I'm sure we could work it out as we can bring in guests for all but the races; which run group depends on driver experience. For the races themselves, the SRA rules do allow non-SRAs to race (though not for points) if they and their drivers meet certain safety criteria, but this is essentially up to Mark Swain so ask him if you want to consider that. From what I heard at TMI, we'll probably be seeing a field of close to 30 SRA cars going out for the races, and the more the merrier! It's quite a feeling running up to the start flag with 17-18 other Atoms.

Country
    United States
    What type of cars run in SPU? (I'm not familiar with SCCA classes.)

Up Quark
    Country
    United States
    I'm by no means an expert, but my understanding is that SP (Super Production) is a regional class meant to serve as a catchall for closed wheel cars from non-SCCA series (like SRA) and other "unique creations" that don't fit elsewhere in the SCCA classifications. To quote, "Cars which exceed the preparation limitations of the applicable Production or GT Specifications but which meet the general [safety] regulations for GT category cars. This includes cars not listed in the GT or Production spec pages, such as FIA homologated Production cars." Engines under 2500cc are in SPU (SP Under) and engines of 2500cc and up, or turbo/supercharged engines, are in SPO (SP Over).

For SPU examples, here's a Civic-based SPU car (http://www.performancepartnersintl.c...ivic-new.shtml), and I also found race results listing: Honda CRX, Honda S2000, Dodge Daytona, Mazda RX7, Chevy Baby Grand, and Mazda Miata. It really depends on how the cars are set up as it's a catchall. SPU isn't usually a big class; only a few at most usually at any of the races I was finding.

Another thought

Maybe it's just me, but I'd be doing a couple of things before considering any upgrades. This is based on my experience with receiving my Atom 3. First, I'd adjust the brake balance. On receipt, it took 2-1/2 turns on the balance-bar adjustment to get optimum braking. Then, I'd consider corner balancing the suspension, with the car being so light and the driver weight off-center. I also felt the need for a dead-pedal. Just my input.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345