Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Desired upgrade - please share your experience

I ran a lot of different wheel/tire combinations on my car over the years. From Avon slicks (imported from the UK, same as the short-lived Ariel factory effort) on Dymags to Hoosier A6's on lightweight SSR-C's. I started with 17" rear and 15" front (one of the few early Brammo cars so equipped), but pretty quickly went to 16" rears, simply for availability of track tires.

For track use, getting heat in the tires is what counts most. I ran rears from stock to 255 width and found that on any given tire type/compound, wider did not help. Tim Webb and I were in discussions with Hoosier and Hankook tire engineers and worked long and hard on tire pressures to maximize getting heat into the tires.

My best endpoint on track tires was Dunlops that were spec'd for the Radical Spec series. These are full race slicks, sized perfectly for the Atom's 15/16 wheels.
    I ordered them from a race tire shop that incidentally is located 2 doors down from TMI's place at VIR.

These tires had the advantage of being very consistent for a large number of laps. Hoosier and Hankook slicks had near the same performance at their best, but neither could hold the performance for as many track days. Back then, I was running at least 3-4 track days per month, so longevity was important cost consideration.

These days, my car doesn't see much track time. I've recently switched to A048 front and R888 rears, simply because the triple 8's come in a wider size that allows me to use wide wheel/fender, tire combination that I really like the look of.

All that being said, the tire choice is going to depend largely on your intended use. I am a big proponent of the Dunlops based on where I ran them, other tires will work better in other circumstances. I had the advantage of having a very experienced driver (Tim Webb) help me research and test. Sometimes the differences are very slight and we needed to push past my confidence envelope to take the next step in performance. Once Tim got us to the other side, I could work my way beyond my previous limits.

I can't say I've ever gotten my tires hot enough co develop decent traction on the street - ever.
    Rogers, Arkansas
    My Atoms are gone to new homes ...

Country
    United States
    Some tracks are tougher on tire wear than others,but in general,I am getting 5-6 two day events out of a set of rear FA tires,and double that from the fronts.(a typical "day" on track is 4 or 5, 30 minute sessions) The front tires will heat cycle out before wearing down to the cords occasionally. (Depends on how long they sit between events)
    I have been lucky enough to purchase fresh scrubs every year for about $160/pair..so it's really chump change to keep my Atom in sticky tires!

The drivers/cars I am running against are all on race tires,and if I want to be competitive with them,the best tire available is a necessity.

I understand why the SRA's run the DOT tires..but trust me,you guys are leaving a lot of performance on the table. Since everyone is on the same specified rubber,it really doesn't matter.

However,if 2-3 seconds a lap faster is critical to being competitive,and is legal to run in class...sign me up!

Last edited by MadMaxAtom; March 6, 2012 at 06:31 PM.
    The power of an Atom is a terrible thing to waste! Atom owner/operator since 2007. The more you chase perfection,the faster it becomes. John Force for President! (I asked him once in person...he laughed)

Neutron
    Country
    United States
    Oh yeah!?!?! This was just last season

Country
    United States
    Got a match??
    The power of an Atom is a terrible thing to waste! Atom owner/operator since 2007. The more you chase perfection,the faster it becomes. John Force for President! (I asked him once in person...he laughed)

Country
    United States
    Regarding Hoosier R6s (205f 225r) I could only get the rears up to 140˚F and fronts up to 120˚F at the tracks I went to. And that's with a 90˚F+ ambient air temp. Temps were fairly even across the width though. I was going to start this seson on some A6s since their operating temps are 20˚-30˚ cooler than the R6s. Tires as a modification did make a big difference over the BFGoodrich KDWs that Brammo shipped my Atom with. They were so very very horrible. The alignment helped a lot too, Brammos' was crap.

Upgrade goals for my Atom:

-Install radial bearings on spring perches
    -LED headlights (still waiting for tech to catch up)
    -Hard Tonneau
    -Engine undertray/diffuser
    -Suspension arm aero covers

Up Quark
    Country
    United States
    Thanks much to all for the tire insights. Have to see where I get classed for SCCA (probably SPU), then make a call.

Neutron
    Country
    United States
    Found some tires that would work

Country
    United States
    ^very cool car..wish I had a million or two....

Electron
    Country
    United States
    Quote Originally Posted by mrwoolery View Post
    Upgrade goals for my Atom:

-Install radial bearings on spring perches
    -LED headlights (still waiting for tech to catch up)
    -Hard Tonneau
    -Engine undertray/diffuser
    -Suspension arm aero covers
    -Install radial bearings on spring perches - Need more info
    -Hard Tonneau - Need more info
    -Engine undertray/diffuser - Need more info
    -Suspension arm aero covers - Need more info

s/c aftercooler (done--helps with charge temps) - Need more info - curious does it have a intercooler.

Links would be appreciated.

What about Seats?

I put Racetech Carbon/Kevlar seats in my other car they are nice but may not be for the Atom, What are people using? Something more comfortable then stock FG buckets

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast