Thread: New Jersey Registration

Electron
    Country
    United States

New Jersey Registration

There has been on AA in NJ, bought with the VIN on it. owner walked in to the DMV and walked out with plates.

He sold it and still probably regrets it.

I heard his insurance denied him and he had no choice. So finding a insurance company is key.

There is a way to get VIN in NJ but you have to go to the main DMV in Trenton and fill out paper work etc.

I met a person at Pocono once he brought his AA from Virginia he had it registered as a motorcyle.

We can register bikes, and trikes with no issues, aTV etc blah blah but no AAs yet.

I really want to pursue this until it is 110% undoable

Neutron
    Country
    United States
    the problem is it is not 100% anywhere. We had easy registration in washington for a long time and then all of a sudden they decided to revoke some registrations. In oregon there is some woman in the DMV system that says she wont stop until she finds and cancels every Atom registration. And that's even when we have a law specifically written for registration of Atoms.

but you sound like some of us original owners, who went for it even though we didnt know if we could get registered because the Atom is just so damn cool. Several of us had to try multiple times. Many succeeded

(there are a few states that are friendly to register even if you dont live there... so there is always hope

Electron
    Country
    United States
    could you PM me those states please. I am looking at all possibilities.

Electron
    Country
    United States
    this if from internet so I'll have to find out if this really applies.
    This was regarding a kitcar discussion.

"if the vehicle is assembled and titled out of state, then you simply do a title transfer to the New Jersey registration."

I am going to call a NJ kit car company and may be they can provide some insight

If I can get insurance I think I can register it as a kit car by following the rules.

Electron
    Country
    United States
    Just spoke to the DMV again. If the title says "kit car" on it and this is for a existing titled car.

In New Jersey you have to go through the entire kit car inspection as these requirements are different from state to state. so it does not save you from the hassle and they can still fail you.

Lurker

register in nj

You can register in nj as a motorcycle bit you must wear a helmet when you drive it

Fermion
    Country
    United States
    I wish AA can be bought in rolling chassis - for those people willing to declare it "home made or kit". Most states has this option....as long as you conform to the safety standard.
    I don't see any problem. Heck I can even try a replica --- oh for what replica sir? Plymouth prowler Cobra replica - GT40 & Lotus seven get's away with this option. There are thousands of them around. Easy to get an insurance too.

When you buy AA in full spec car - it will be a hit or miss registration. Some get lucky - some are stuck with a few grands sitting in the garage. How da heck can you register as Ariel Atom?
    The DMV clerk will go ballistic searching the name "Atom" (as full production car) for tax information.
    Some states DMV are nasty - give the MV inspector a little power and they will put you in depression !
    Last edited by s2kseven; November 12, 2014 at 06:15 AM.