Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Member in New Jersey :(

Electron
    Country
    United States

New Member in New Jersey :(

Yeap - If I knew of the issues with NJ and Ariel Atom I would not have bought a house here.

I have thought of renting a room or something in a different state so I can register it else where.

But I need help. I am thinking of consulting a lawyer.

Two issues: registration and insurance.

If nothing can be done - then I will end up putting a V8 in my current track car which will be same amount of money but at least I will be able to drive it on the roads

But nothing like the AA

Electron
    Country
    United States
    I currently don't have permissions to post on other threads and forums but..

I know kit cars can be registered in NJ, we have hot rods and stuff and complete custom. I am going to consult a dealer I know and a lawyer if I can find one.

Country
    United States
    I think getting a lease agreement and some utility bills elsewhere to claim residency is one way to register an Atom (outside NJ) and once registered could legally be driven in NJ. Given the potential for abuse/fraud I can't say I endorse the practice, but some would argue that nothing's illegal until you get caught. I'm not sure what constitutes legitimate grounds for an Ins. Co. to renege on a policy if or when you make a claim on that particular car though. The dirty weasels don't like paying out if they can help it and their Lobby in DC is more powerful than the lobbies that are rooting for the individual and his rights.

I'd PM Terry Kennedy and ask him about his experience with NJ and his Atom.

And hello, welcome to the Forum.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyberbug View Post
    I currently don't have permissions to post on other threads and forums but..
    Your account should have auto-unlocked after making your initial post in this Welcome forum. I see your post count is currently at 18, so is it safe to assume that your posting privileges are working properly? If not, lemme know and I'll check things out.

Country
    New Zealand
    Welcome Cyberbug.

Sounds like US registration is a breeze in some places and a nightmare in others. Hope it all comes together for you in a positive way.
    01100001 01110100 01101111 01101101 00110001

Electron
    Country
    United States
    called the DMV main office day before yesterday

Requested Specialty Vehicles package and New VIN application.

Got it in the mail today.

The VIN application they sent me is OS/SS-6 not sure if its correct it is for a reissue and requires existing Title. I will have to check with them again. It also says it can only be submitted by mail. No pictures required. its asking for old vin in the application -so there may be another application for new vin

Second got a 18 page inspection guide - which states everything that is required. I didn't see anything which may be an issue. Lights do require DOT labels, steering wheel at least 13" diameter.

Do all lights have DOT labels?

It also says you have to fill out OS/SS-143 certificate for specially constructed vehicle and OS/SS-7 Application for Certificate of Ownership, MCO is required, traces of engine number and transmission or color pictures, pictures of the car all around, including Dash etc more the better. Letter stating construction details must include make, model, vin (again) and full details how it was constructed.

Documentation from Manufacturer of engine or dealer authorized by manufacturer to establish proof of the year of the engine. if sales tax is not included in receipt it will be charged later

Only problem is they didn't send me the SS-7 and SS-143 application

So I have to call them again next week as for it all again.

Country
    United States
    Holy shit..! They sure make it painless!
    The power of an Atom is a terrible thing to waste! Atom owner/operator since 2007. The more you chase perfection,the faster it becomes. John Force for President! (I asked him once in person...he laughed)

Electron
    Country
    United States
    I wish I had the funds right now
    i would get the forum members AA available through sector111

Exiting title car - all I have to do is a title transfer and pay tax
    And inspection

Unfortunately I'll have half the fund in few weeks
    have to figure out the rest wish we could get car loans on these even 50% would be enough

Neutron
    Country
    United States
    I got a car loan on mine. Only way I could get it. Talk to a local credit union.

Electron
    Country
    United States
    Can you pm me some details
    ill take to my cu
    i googled some classic car horrid loan companies too
    i am changing jobs in 3-4 weeks
    ill have 50% of the funds then
    if I can get the loan I would not do the pavers and storage just put it in the garage and put a cover on the one and put it in the driveway

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast