Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any interest for a set of my LED light signal housings?

Neutron
    Country
    United States

Any interest for a set of my LED light signal housings?

I found a place that does custom metal laser cutting and I can get a metal housing made similar to what I cut by hand for my light housings for quite cheep.

So Im thinking I can replicate what I did below for about $4-5 each (minus the bulbs and lens of course). No intention to make any money off it is but I like having a project to work on. I think I can keep the price under $40 for a set of 8.

Im ordering enough for 10 sets of 8 light housings. If anyone is interested in a set let me know. Installing them would mean buying bulbs (1157 and 1156 socket type), soldering wires and possibly drilling some holes in the light housing stalks.

Country
    United States
    I'm in if they would be compatible. Plus 25!
    "Opportunities do not come to those who wait; they are captured by those who attack."

Hey, Eric. I'm dissatisfied with my first attempt at these - I didn't use thick enough aluminum and they're bending. Please count me in for a full set of 8!

And while we're on the subject, where's a good source for the rubber gaskets that fit between the lenses and the mounting plate? One of mine is melted.

Neutron
    Country
    United States
    These will be 0.08" (2mm) that should be pretty strong.

I used the rubber part off the replacement lights I got from Terry. You have to cut out the center part

Country
    New Zealand
    Quote Originally Posted by bolus View Post
    These will be 0.08" (2mm) that should be pretty strong.

I used the rubber part off the replacement lights I got from Terry. You have to cut out the center part
    Eric, I replaced the internal plastic parts of my auxiliary lighting with aluminum some while ago. For anyone that has not done this it's a great idea. The Atom 1 is known to vibrate more than any other model and I've had no problems with bulbs popping loose of their sockets since I did the upgrade.

One alternative suggestion is that if you use a metal socket that mounts by way of sprung metal prongs at the front you can do away with the rear bracket, screws and rivnuts. This also enables the fitting to be assembled into the existing rubber part without cutting and improving weather proofing.

The type sockets would be like these -> http://www.oemsurplus911.com/automot...ckets/8541.htm OR http://www.oemsurplus911.com/automot...ckets/8542.htm

The fitted socket looks like this....

The above images do not show the items fully completed as they still have to have the two forward facing rivnuts fitted, to secure the lens, as part of the final assembly.
    Last edited by AtomJohnny; January 4, 2012 at 05:38 PM.

Neutron
    Country
    United States
    I think I ordered too many.

Country
    United States
    LoL!
    "Opportunities do not come to those who wait; they are captured by those who attack."

BWAHAHA! Awesome! Too much is never enough!

Neutron
    Country
    United States
    Working on the first set. I need to go get some bolts though. I put a little shine into outer surface to help with light

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast