Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: My new Atom turn signal controller (with auto-cancel by steering wheel)

Ion
    Country
    United States

My new Atom turn signal controller (with auto-cancel by steering wheel)

I had to make my first Atom project a turn signal controller, if only because I seem to be mentally incapable of remembering to turn off the factory toggle switch.

I didn't want to just have a timed duration only setup (plus, those have been done already) so I stepped it up a bit and did a "real" steering wheel position cancel system.

The setup consists of a small plastic box (~2.5" square and about 1" deep), a new waterproof momentary switch for the dash, and a bit of wire for power.

These are the main features:

1) quick 'flick' on the turn signal switch starts a short "lane change" signal. It automatically turns off after a set period of time (I have mine set to three flashes to match what our other cars do)

2) a longer press (over half a second) latches the appropriate signal on. This signal can be canceled by another press on the switch if desired, or...

3) ... turning the wheel (how far is up to you) and returning it center. (AKA, like pretty much ever other modern passenger car.)

The steering wheel position sensing is non-contact. (Three little magnets attach to the steering shaft-- where you place them determines how far the wheel needs to travel before the 'turn' is taken and the signal reset.) The only wired connection is for power and the plastic enclosure mounts to the aluminum bracket behind the dash and holds the sensor over the proper area where the magnets attach. My car doesn't have side panels, so I installed it without even taking anything apart.

The electronics are designed with automotive standards in mind (automotive grade parts, protection against alternator load dumps/reversed connections, etc.), the switch is IP56 grade (protected against dust and water-- suitable for use on a boat-- probably overkill, but seemed like a good idea), and the enclosure is UL 94V-0 grade plastic (self extinguishing).

Anyway, I'm going to make a couple for some Atom friends and I thought there might be interest in it by more people since I don't think that there's been one available before with the steering wheel cancel feature. If there was enough interest I'd step it up to a small production run if people wanted them. PM me or post here if this might be something you'd be interested in. (I suspect the price would be around ~$89 and maybe a bit lower if there's quite a few people that want them.)

Thanks for reading!
    06Arielatom likes this.

Country
    United States

damn good stuff man, damn good stuff. I expect you'll sell about 300 of these.

Country
    United States
    Good job, yes you will sell quite a few of those

Country
    United States
    Very cool!
    AtomII #73 for sale, PM for details.

Turning money into smoke and noise since 2006.
    Member "I drove the Brammo mule with Tom S." club.

Lepton
    Country
    United States
    Way better than other solutions, I would be in for one at $89.

On a related note, any advice on where I could get a sensor to mount on the clutch pedal to ground when the clutch pedal is depressed? I want to get a 2-step and no lift shifting working
    2011 Ariel Atom Not Supercharged
    2006 Range Rover Sport Supercharged

Country
    United States
    I would drill a hole in the sheet metal behind the clutch, and put a switch on that. Push clutch in, arms switch. Done.

Ion
    Country
    United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Payne View Post
    Way better than other solutions, I would be in for one at $89.
    Cool. I'm probably going to do at least a short run of them. If there's enough orders I'll get some nice custom labels screen printed for the enclosre.

On a related note, any advice on where I could get a sensor to mount on the clutch pedal to ground when the clutch pedal is depressed? I want to get a 2-step and no lift shifting working
    I've actually been looking at that too (for sort-of a crazy data-logger thing) and the spot that I like is at the top of the linkage assembly up by the left front shock. (The pedal travel gets converted into linear motion for the hydraulic there and at least on my car there's some unused bolt holes that would be easy to make a little bracket to connect up.) I'd probably get a lever switch with a roller and just mount it so that when the linkage moves forward it hits the roller and closes the switch.

Something like these: http://search.digikey.com/us/en/prod...W156-ND/137204

Mounted around here: https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/phot...eat=directlink

Norm's idea is more straight forward though. I just don't like drilling holes in the new ride just yet.

-Clay

Country
    United States
    Quote Originally Posted by havok1919 View Post

Norm's idea is more straight forward though. I just don't like drilling holes in the new ride just yet.

-Clay
    I knew I shouldn't have eaten that last piece of pumpkin pie...

Ion
    Country
    United States
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthChicken View Post
    I knew I shouldn't have eaten that last piece of pumpkin pie...
    Oh, duh. Darth's idea is more straight forward. Forgot who I was talking 'bout!

-Clay

Kim
    Country
    Denmark
    Great solution! I'm in for one, too.
    Kim
    2010 Atom 3 #131 - K20R/DBW Stage Two
    "I want to die peacefully in my sleep, like my grandfather; not screaming and terrified like his passengers."

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast