Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: My new Atom turn signal controller (with auto-cancel by steering wheel)

Lepton
    Country
    United States
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthChicken View Post
    I would drill a hole in the sheet metal behind the clutch, and put a switch on that. Push clutch in, arms switch. Done.
    The issue with that is you need the trigger on the engagement point of the clutch, not on the end of the clutch pedal throw, so I don't know if that style switch will work.

I'm thinking I might need to do a magnet glued to the clutch pedal and a side mounted switch instead of a depression switch?

JP
    2011 Ariel Atom Not Supercharged
    2006 Range Rover Sport Supercharged

Country
    United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Payne View Post
    The issue with that is you need the trigger on the engagement point of the clutch, not on the end of the clutch pedal throw, so I don't know if that style switch will work.

I'm thinking I might need to do a magnet glued to the clutch pedal and a side mounted switch instead of a depression switch?
    Hydraulic pressure switch similar to what the brake light switch does? If you need absolute control of the actuation point, SPA makes pressure transducers (in pressure ratings up to 250 bar) which provide an analog voltage indicating the exact pressure in the hydraulic line.

Ion
    Country
    United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Payne View Post

JP
    With a roller/lever type switch you could always have the mounting bracket adjustable (to move the switch) so you could set it to trip at the correct point in the throw. I like the actuator 'up top' for a switch location since there's a lot less play there than down around the pedal itself. (ie, it's a nice linear path in and out of that actuator regardless of if the car is shaking or you're pressing the clutch pedal at an angle or whatever. Nothing to accidentally kick or get caught on your shoe or anything either.)

A pressure transducer could certainly work. I just lean towards 'non-intrusive' sensors cause they seem less likely to cause trouble vs. something under pressure and/or dealing with hydraulics...

-Clay

Lepton
    Country
    United States
    Quote Originally Posted by havok1919 View Post
    With a roller/lever type switch you could always have the mounting bracket adjustable (to move the switch) so you could set it to trip at the correct point in the throw. I like the actuator 'up top' for a switch location since there's a lot less play there than down around the pedal itself. (ie, it's a nice linear path in and out of that actuator regardless of if the car is shaking or you're pressing the clutch pedal at an angle or whatever. Nothing to accidentally kick or get caught on your shoe or anything either.)

A pressure transducer could certainly work. I just lean towards 'non-intrusive' sensors cause they seem less likely to cause trouble vs. something under pressure and/or dealing with hydraulics...

-Clay
    I started a new thread to not hijack this one: http://arielatomchat.com/forums/show...=6678#post6678

I think the simplest solution will be a side mounted magnet switch.
    2011 Ariel Atom Not Supercharged
    2006 Range Rover Sport Supercharged

Country
    New Zealand
    Excellent turn signal solution.

How hard would it be to add a bit more circuitry and programming for a second switch to operate a small relay?

The thought being an alternative method to flick between high and low beam without using the awkward rotary switch that is standard to the cars.

Country
    United States
    Thanks for offering this.
    "Opportunities do not come to those who wait; they are captured by those who attack."

Ion
    Country
    United States
    Quote Originally Posted by AtomJohnny View Post
    Excellent turn signal solution.

How hard would it be to add a bit more circuitry and programming for a second switch to operate a small relay?

The thought being an alternative method to flick between high and low beam without using the awkward rotary switch that is standard to the cars.
    Interesting idea! It would need to be a little different design just because I used all the available IO pins on the microcontroller I have in the turn signal controller.

I'll do a little investigation in to that and see how the factory switch works. Definitely some possibilities come to mind. (For example, the ability to 'flash' the headlamps in addition to just turning then on and off.) I suppose adding on an ambient light sensor could make for a simple automatic headlight solution too.

-Clay

Ion
    Country
    United States
    Just a little update-- in response to some other questions that came my way (from people with other cars similarly lacking auto-cancel) I'm changing the design a little bit to have the wheel position sensor be separate from the plastic enclosure. That way you can just put the control box 'anywhere' and place the sensor wherever is convenient on your particular car. For the Atoms I'll make little Ariel-specific sensors that just mount right up to the factory hardware, but for people with Palatov's or Ultima GTR's, etc they can still use it with a 'generic' version of the wheel position sensor instead.

-Clay

Country
    New Zealand
    Would you be willing to put in the extra effort to send one overseas?

This is probably the best option to send one here... http://ircalc.usps.com/MailServices....&p=0&o=1&mt=13

I looked at UPS but the freight was going to cost way more than the item.

Hopefully there is not a load of paperwork required to accompany the item. I can make some inquiries at this end.

Ion
    Country
    United States
    Quote Originally Posted by AtomJohnny View Post
    Would you be willing to put in the extra effort to send one overseas?

This is probably the best option to send one here... http://ircalc.usps.com/MailServices....&p=0&o=1&mt=13

I looked at UPS but the freight was going to cost way more than the item.

Hopefully there is not a load of paperwork required to accompany the item. I can make some inquiries at this end.
    Yeah, when they're ready I can do overseas shipping. Internal Priority Mail seems pretty good-- I've sent similar sized items down to Australia (in "flat rate" boxes) and it was about ~$15-20 USD if I recall correctly, so I suspect NZ would be a similar price. The UK was right in the same ballpark-- $18 USD sticks in my head. The best thing to do is combine an order if you have any other Atom friends that want one. The flat rate shipping boxes could hold quite a few inside and then you could spread the shipping costs over several people.

-Clay

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast