Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Atom V8 traction control reluctor ring

Neutron
    Country
    United States
    I never did figure out the proper ABS ring in the back and the proper CV joint half for the front. I was going to use a racelogic traction control but they took 3 weeks to respond to a inquiring about buying one so I didnt exactly want to given them a bunch of money at that point.

You would need a proper sized ABS ring to fit on the rear CV joint like this

And then a CV Joint with a reluctor ring on the front with all the internals removed out of it.

I may do some more looking and see what I can find in the junk yards that may work
    the high profile toy thrower

Neutron
    Country
    United States
    I emailed driveshaft shop since they make all the Axles to see if they have a reluctor ring that will work. will update if I hear anything.

Lepton
    Country
    United States
    Quote Originally Posted by bolus View Post
    I emailed driveshaft shop since they make all the Axles to see if they have a reluctor ring that will work. will update if I hear anything.
    Thanks Bolus. Any thoughts on using the 4x studs? I looked last night and it seems pretty easy to fab mounts for sensors to pick up from the back of the wheel studs. Does 4 'teeth' versus 40 'teeth' in a ring make a big difference to the quality of the system?

JP
    2011 Ariel Atom Not Supercharged
    2006 Range Rover Sport Supercharged

Country
    United States
    "Does 4 'teeth' versus 40 'teeth' in a ring make a big difference to the quality of the system?"

It makes a HUGE difference..matter of fact,I doubt an ABS/traction control setup would even function with only one input signal for every 90 degrees of tire rotation.(4 imput signals/revolution) Todays modern systems are using >2000 imputs/revolution.
    The power of an Atom is a terrible thing to waste! Atom owner/operator since 2007. The more you chase perfection,the faster it becomes. John Force for President! (I asked him once in person...he laughed)

Neutron
    Country
    United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Payne View Post
    Thanks Bolus. Any thoughts on using the 4x studs? I looked last night and it seems pretty easy to fab mounts for sensors to pick up from the back of the wheel studs. Does 4 'teeth' versus 40 'teeth' in a ring make a big difference to the quality of the system?

JP
    Racelogic says 4 pulses per rotation is minimum. You might want to investigate the kit you will be using. The studs are accessible on the front but not on the back with at least the original uprights that came with my car.

Driveshaft shop got back to me. My axles were not built to take a reluctor ring but they will sell me the outer part of the CV joint for $75. so that would solve both the front and rear at the same time but would involve taking the axle a part. They said some of the newer Atom axles will take a reluctor ring.

So I'd say contact Driveshaft shop, they will need a picture of you axles to know if you just need a ring or a new outer section of the CV joint. Then get 2 outer sections for the front wheels to hook up like the Atom V8

Lepton
    Country
    United States
    Quote Originally Posted by bolus View Post
    Racelogic says 4 pulses per rotation is minimum. You might want to investigate the kit you will be using. The studs are accessible on the front but not on the back with at least the original uprights that came with my car.

Driveshaft shop got back to me. My axles were not built to take a reluctor ring but they will sell me the outer part of the CV joint for $75. so that would solve both the front and rear at the same time but would involve taking the axle a part. They said some of the newer Atom axles will take a reluctor ring.

So I'd say contact Driveshaft shop, they will need a picture of you axles to know if you just need a ring or a new outer section of the CV joint. Then get 2 outer sections for the front wheels to hook up like the Atom V8
    Care to set an over/under on what Ariel or TMI would charge for the entire setup with the brackets for sensors? Do I dare ask them?

Hell. if the Hondata unit is $800, and they offered traction control on the Honda Atoms for $1500-2k, I be it'd sell like hotcakes, especially for those in wet environments... I'm sure they could make $500-1k profit on each setup.

JP
    2011 Ariel Atom Not Supercharged
    2006 Range Rover Sport Supercharged

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345