Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Atom V8 traction control reluctor ring

Country
    United States
    Quote Originally Posted by MadMaxAtom View Post
    Traction control device....
    Stabiltrak has saved my arse more times than I care to admit. I paid for it so it ran it and mostly I had an instructor tell me, if you can run fast without it coming on your not pissing off the car and you'll be faster.

Most of the crashes of people with new cars I've seen would/could have been avoided had they checked their ego at the door and turned all that unmanly stuff on, at least until their skill matched their money.

So run with it on and see if you can not make it come on.. I think it made me a smoother driver.
    AtomII #73 for sale, PM for details.

Turning money into smoke and noise since 2006.
    Member "I drove the Brammo mule with Tom S." club.

Country
    United States
    Pish posh..hocus pocus bullshit. That's all driving aids are to me. A maestro learns nothing from a player piano..
    The power of an Atom is a terrible thing to waste! Atom owner/operator since 2007. The more you chase perfection,the faster it becomes. John Force for President! (I asked him once in person...he laughed)

Country
    United States
    I agree... if it lasts for more than 4 hours.. then I'll call a doctor... and take out an ad on Craig's list..

Country
    United States
    When I am instructing in a car with all those "aids", I tell the student to shut them off (when possible) as it allows drivers to get in over their head too easily. At the last Watkins Glen event this year, I watched a 2001 Firebird fly by me and said to myself, there is an accident waiting to happen.Sure enough,about 15 minutes later,he is on the roof just out of turn 6. Because he was depending on the ABS to do the braking,he had no idea the system was failing till it would not stop the car at all.If he had been in total control of the braking,I am certain he would have felt the brake performance degrading and come in to let them cool. Driving aids are for people who cannot learn to drive properly on their own.
    The power of an Atom is a terrible thing to waste! Atom owner/operator since 2007. The more you chase perfection,the faster it becomes. John Force for President! (I asked him once in person...he laughed)

Country
    United States
    I agree that you can't defy physics or fix stupid.

I had a student at Lagnua Seca that kept going through the corkscrew with the clutch in. Needless to say he was not a candidate who I wanted to ride with with all the safety's off.

The more demonstrated skill the more the safety's can come off. There is no guarantee that your firebird would have pulled his head out any sooner. They aren't known for they braking prowess anyway. That's just a sign to me that he/she was over their head no matter what.

I'd rather be bored than scared. I've made students pit out because they were driving over their head. I prefer lead/follow because I can set the tone and pace and if I'm behind, at least I'm safe because I can see it coming.

Country
    United States
    The problem with ABS on track is when you pass the threshold of intervention(tires locking),the driver becomes nothing more than an on/off switch,and you have NO feedback as to actual braking performance,other than the car is slowing or not. Had the driver experienced the brakes fading ito a corner or two..which is quite frightening...I suspect he would have brought the vehicle in,before ending up on the roof. Because ABS isolates the driver when it is in control of braking..you really have no clue how close you are to the system being overwhelmed.

oops...

Neutron
    Country
    United States
    it does not matter how well assisted a car is or not, someone, somewhere will manage to crash it. So it should come down to a personal preference. I dont want to put my car into a ditch because I pushed the throttle a millimeter further than I should for a millisecond longer for the boost to build up on cold tires on the street. The time it takes to notice the car is going side ways into the oncoming lane and for me to correct is way to short and I've been there.

Country
    United States
    You do not learn to fly with autopilot..

Country
    United States
    I agree with your primus but not your reality. As you fade the brakes the stopping distances get farther and farther and less skidding means less abs ie at some point he won't get into abs soon the butt pucker alarm that this thing isn't stopping should wake the driver up. My beer says firebird guy was over his head and it bit him.

What I'm talking about is traction and more importantly yaw control. I've seen more hp than skill people nail it coming out of an off camber turn and loop it into the wall. My CtS-v will light the tires at the top of 3rd at over 100mph. Not a real good time to break traction.
    Yaw control with combination of independent individual corner braking and throttle control (within the laws of physics) bring a car in line if it yaws too much with driver feedback. There is a turn at Buttonwilow that is a high speed off camber over hill left kinda turn and if your not dead on line it'll yaw you off into the weeds. What helped me as to figure out what line didn't cause the yaw control to come on. If I'm on line... I'm faster and more importantly my car in one piece. I don't think your generation of ferd's have this.

I'm a recreational driver so I'll trade a good number of seconds to bring my car home in one piece. If I was driving someone else's car with someone's money and didn't have to do my own work, I'd drive much differently.

Some people can figure it out from the chalkboard, tourismo or in their head. I have to see it, feel it.. Oh crap, there's too much. Won't go there again. Having that helper aid, if used as a training tool and not as a parachute works.

Neutron
    Country
    United States
    Quote Originally Posted by MadMaxAtom View Post
    You do not learn to fly with autopilot..

Go tell an F35 pilot to rip out his controls, radar, GPS and put in cables to the ailerons and engine and fly it like a man. Actually, no paper map either, they must use a sextant. And you cant buy the sextant either, you need to forge the metal right in the cockpit during flight

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast