Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Potential for failure in rod end adjuster nuts

Country
    United States
    10-4 - Thanks to Terry's legwork/homework and thanks to you for putting up capital to bring these ideas to fruition.. again.

'Tis the season for giving thanks.. we have much to be thankful for..
    AtomII #73 for sale, PM for details.

Turning money into smoke and noise since 2006.
    Member "I drove the Brammo mule with Tom S." club.

Country
    United States
    Quote Originally Posted by bolus View Post
    Not me, Terry has done all the work up until this point. He gets all the credit
    You're being too modest. You came up with a large number of alternative ideas for addressing the issue.

Country
    United States
    Quote Originally Posted by MadMaxAtom View Post
    I'm thinking I buy a set of custom 1/2" thread 4130 thimbles, and as my rod ends wear,replace them with 1/2" off the shelf units.The rod ends being a standard item that would need regular replacement anyway makes this direction a no-brainer for me. Once you replace the "old" thimbles with 4130 1/2" units,they should never need replacement.
    My main concern with this would be the geometry of the 1/2" thread (size 8) rod ends vs. the 5/8" thread (size 10) ones. In particular, the hole in the ball part will be a .5" diameter vs. a .625" diameter. Since you can't drill that out any larger, you'll need to find some way to change the thread size in the upright to handle a smaller bolt. There may be thread-reducing helicoils that would work. I believe the stock thread is 5/8-18. A bunch of the other geometry is also going to change in less critical ways - the overall length of the rod end, thickness of the ball, and so on.

Country
    United States
    The size of the hole through the rod end spherical bearing would not change,only the threaded shank diameter of the rod end that is threaded into the thimble.This would not require anything but a different thimble to work.
    Last edited by MadMaxAtom; November 9, 2011 at 03:19 AM.
    The power of an Atom is a terrible thing to waste! Atom owner/operator since 2007. The more you chase perfection,the faster it becomes. John Force for President! (I asked him once in person...he laughed)

Country
    United States
    Quote Originally Posted by MadMaxAtom View Post
    The size of the hole through the rod end spherical bearing would not change,only the threaded shank diameter of the rod end that is threaded into the thimble.This would not require anything but a different thimble to work.
    That's not the case on the Aurora AB parts: link (likewise for the PRB ones).

The X versions of the Aurora parts upsize the shank while keeping the rest of the rod end the same. I'm not aware of any vendor that has parts that do the opposite, which is what you want - to downsize the shank.

Country
    United States
    Don' that suck the big one. Well..plan A had better work,then. (Boluses replacement 4130 units)
    The power of an Atom is a terrible thing to waste! Atom owner/operator since 2007. The more you chase perfection,the faster it becomes. John Force for President! (I asked him once in person...he laughed)

Neutron
    Country
    United States
    well, parts are still MIA. I hope I didnt just waste $500

Neutron
    Country
    United States
    It was a shipping problem, they should be here in a few days.

Neutron
    Country
    United States
    yay! they fit! Now how to break one....

Neutron
    Country
    United States
    Guys, I cant figure out how I could perform any sort of reliable breaking test in my garage with actual measurements. So unless one of you has a good way to test them I think I am going to take my chances and just use them

I have 22 of them and will keep at least 8 for myself. Anyone interested in a set? They were $22 each and more can be ordered though it sounds like they would need to be ordered in batches of 22 (how many they can make out of a the smallest bar of metal).

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast