Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: registration help by state

Neutron
    Country
    United States

registration help by state

SEMA action network has put together a good resource of registration information by state. This is a good starting point to see how an Atom could be registered in each state. I looked over the Oregon info and it is a good collection of information that would help someone get started figuring out how to register.

http://www.semasan.com/page.asp?cont...olbox&g=SEMAGA

Country
    United States
    Excellent link,Bolus!! Damn..my state has more regulations than I really care to read! How pathetic. Too bad they don't treat drivers to the same scrutiny as car qualifications,as most would not pass...
    The power of an Atom is a terrible thing to waste! Atom owner/operator since 2007. The more you chase perfection,the faster it becomes. John Force for President! (I asked him once in person...he laughed)

Fermion
    Country
    United States
    Too bad that the Texas one is so huge. I read through the first bit of it until the legal portion started but cannot be bothered to read the whole document right now in the legal jargon. Silver, if you see this, how did you register the car in Dallas or Tarrant county and was it difficult?

SEMA State Registration Info

Excellent information base by SEMA. Thanks for posting this. Unfortunately for Nevada, not a lot of info on the emission requirements. This is where anyone with a 'specially constructed' Atom will face issues if they live in one of the two counties that requires emission compliance.

Electron
    Country
    United States
    Don't mean to jack this thread, by the way big thank you for finding the info Bolus, just a suggestion. I think it would be very helpful if we can start collecting the registration steps and procedure by state (from those who have actually succeeded in the registration process) within this thread for future owners benefit and reference.
    So for those who have registered their Atoms, if you could provide the following information to help out fellow Atom owners:

State of registration:
    Year of registration: (this is important due to constant legislation changes, what was valid 5 years ago may no longer be)
    Registration classification: (Antique/Hobby, Assembled/Kit, Unconventional etc.)
    Local DMV division: (preferably with address and phone)
    List of paperwork involved: (If available)
    3rd Party agents: (Lawyers, companies etc.)

As of today, 5 attempts at registering an Atom in the state of GA (including mine) have been made without success. I will be trying to register it as a Hobby vehicle next and see if it'll go through.

Banned
    Country
    United States
    ^^^

edited*
    i would say this info needs to stay private and out of public eye for many reasons (only discussed in email or personal message)

i would encourage others to not disclose this info besides via pm/email.
    Last edited by rijowysock; January 20, 2013 at 10:14 PM.

Neutron
    Country
    United States
    on the other forum a while back we heard of DMV people looking at the forum trying to find reasons to not allow us to register. So yes, best not discussed openly

That being said, not everyone has used a loophole to register and by many state laws we are not illegal. Otherwise every kit car in the US would be illegal. They are available as kits and for now kits are still legal to register. A kit was available when Brammo made them 7 years ago and TMI offers a kit. Its not a "cobra" and DMV is filled with retards on power trips so it is a fight. But discretion is best
    the high profile toy thrower

Electron
    Country
    United States
    Now I can understand why the registration of a vehicle has become a selling point. Time to fight my own battle and see if I can be the first.

Banned
    Country
    United States
    edited/pm'd you.. i really dont want this info in public eye.
    Last edited by rijowysock; January 20, 2013 at 10:14 PM.

Neutron
    Country
    United States
    What's the federal law for kit cars then? I havent come across one yet. As far as I know they are determined by the state. There are several kit cars that can be purchased as a roller. Just add engine.

Why would Oregon have the Race activity vehicle law then if it was illegal by the feds?
    Oregon DMV Racing Activity Vehicles

This was written specifically for the Atom. Several of us helped. Its a dumb law but you can buy a fully built Atom and register it in Oregon under this law. You dont even have to pass emission testing.

Not trying to be argumentative, but your posts are suggesting we all have illegal cars when they are not. Yes, we need to be careful and not try to bring a lot of attention to this process because they dont fit into the category of cobra kit car or something you bought at a dealer.
    the high profile toy thrower

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast