Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Who is this?

Neutron
    Country
    United States
    found some pics

Country
    United States

Well at least somebody finally put the big intercooler on the right side ofthe engine, away from the exhaust.

Neutron
    Country
    United States
    Probably not the best idea putting this on the internet but sure looks fun

The guy clearly has some experience managing turbo-induced TTO. Looks like a BLAST to drive, but your right foot has to be smooth and deliberate. I've got a twin-turbo car in my garage that likes to be driven very much this same way.

Neutron
    Country
    United States
    More pics

n00b
    Country
    United States
    I work with the shop that built the Atom in question. I've done numerous projects for the owner of this car dating back over ten years. He is the kinda guy that would rather have a KX500 than ride a Yz250... He has two other hotrods we built for him that make over 1000whp. He is a bit of a wild man.

To the "Lazy" comment you have to keep in mind these engines move a lot of air. We could have used a smaller turbo however backpressure begins to be a issue at higher power levels. You have to wrap your head around the fact that "if you can't shit, you can't eat". It makes real good power from 5k to 9.2k when I start pulling it down. The engine has full Ferrea valvetrain so 10k isn't a huge task, I just limit it to just over 9k for longevity. In my opinion 4,000 RPM of powerband is plenty to get some work done. Maybe as more gas VGT technology evolves we can have the best of all worlds.

It's got a Motec M800 on it and if it were up to me I'd be controlling throttle angle/boost pressure by gear as the car has wheel speed sensors at both ends. With this type of management it's possible to use a lot of power safely, I'm sure you guys watched F1 both before/during and after they had power limiting and traction control. We tried this but apparently it wasn't "fun" enough.

Thanks for all the great comments guys, I've built a lot of fun cars over the years but this car really opens your perspective on what is stimulating and a wicked driving experience.

Thanks again.

Jay Meagher

Neutron
    Country
    United States
    Jay, do you work on GM engines? There is a guy in your area that wants to do a turbo conversion for an ecotec based Atom.

n00b
    Country
    United States
    Yes, I've built quite a few GM based engine programs.

Jay

n00b
    Country
    United States
    Here is another user posted video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yOOKc...layer_embedded

Neutron
    Country
    United States

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast