Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Side Pods

Country
    United States

Side Pods

I am going to be diving into side pod design in the coming weeks and I thought that I would start a thread about it. My initial thought was to follow current F1 design and capture the air high at the upper frame rail. After reading, the main reason that F1 has theirs high is to meet certain side crash requirements. The reasons not to follow would be increased frontal area and creating turbulence for the rear wing. This means that the current plan is to get air in the mid line of the vehicle.

1. Attachment plans are to utilize the brackets that Bolus found. http://secure.chassisshop.com/partlist/5794/ http://secure.chassisshop.com/categories/5791/
    2. Other criteria is going to be form fitting to the side of the car using the spline curve rolling that I learned in the fender project.
    3. I am waiting to start this project as I want to get through the initial round with the fenders and tonneau as I am sure that there are more lessons for me there.
    4. I am viewing the exhausting out the back of the pods as maybe even more important than the inlet. I am planning on using NACA ducting and / or more probably louvers matching the fenders.
    5. I am thinking that this will be a several piece design with a maintenance cover to open up the back of the radiator / inter cooler and piping.
    6. As I get into it, I will explore making it flare to channel air around the rear tires. The desire to do this is not high, but, if it works, ... why not?
    7. I will also explore channeling air for my side air intake.
    8. I am planning on replacing the radiator and inter cooler at the front, so, I can then clean up the front of the car next.
    9. Sorry, Ariel, I love my car, but, I hate the side pods designs I have seen so far on the Atom. Some of the RCR Nemisis side pods look great.
    10. I know nothing about aerodynamics. I am not sensitive, tell me if I am wrong
    Last edited by Norm; June 6, 2011 at 07:46 AM. Reason: Got rid of thumbs up!

Country
    United States
    Empty post for later synopsis
    Last edited by Norm; June 6, 2011 at 07:46 AM.

Neutrino
    Country
    United States
    radiator up front works perfect why mess with it.

otherwise, carry on

Kim
    Country
    Denmark
    I'm really looking forward to seeing this thread flesh out.
    Kim
    2010 Atom 3 #131 - K20R/DBW Stage Two
    "I want to die peacefully in my sleep, like my grandfather; not screaming and terrified like his passengers."

Country
    United States
    Kim, this is the project that I have been wanting to do. Realistically, I am probably two weeks or more from starting

Aaron, to answer your statement the stock radiator is sufficient for stock power levels. I will be upping the power level again soon and I doubt the capability of the stock system to a heightened power level. Besides, I want more reserve capacity than stock can provide. Then there is the whole aero thing. If I can't get a significant area increase then, ... well that's why we play the game

Neutrino
    Country
    United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Norm View Post
    Kim, this is the project that I have been wanting to do. Realistically, I am probably two weeks or more from starting

Aaron, to answer your statement the stock radiator is sufficient for stock power levels. I will be upping the power level again soon and I doubt the capability of the stock system to a heightened power level. Besides, I want more reserve capacity than stock can provide. Then there is the whole aero thing. If I can't get a significant area increase then, ... well that's why we play the game

the guys in puerto rico are running upwards of 400whp and in that heat on the stock rad, Positron, Darth, Bolus, Randy all running in the range of 350 (bolus obviously can go higher) and all running stock rad.

but as for aero, are you going to make the nose cone solid so the wind won't go into the cavity in front of the front firewall, that would be cool I guess.

Country
    United States
    I am going to differ with your opinion on this, but, to be clear ... all that you listed with the exception of two are turbo. Not the same heat load. Positron is running diluted 115 octane, which is not available here and does not produce the same heat. Only Randy is close to what I will be doing. Regardless, I am sure they were all concerned about it.

Neutrino
    Country
    United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Norm View Post
    I am going to differ with your opinion on this, but, to be clear ... all that you listed with the exception of two are turbo. Not the same heat load. Positron is running diluted 115 octane, which is not available here and does not produce the same heat. Only Randy is close to what I will be doing. Regardless, I am sure they were all concerned about it.

so if it's a turbo, or if you're running 115 octane it effects your water temps?

are we both talking about the engine radiator, that's what I'm talking about..

I'm not talking about the "intercooler"

Country
    United States
    Yes, it does. If you are the same HP level turbo vs belt driven and both are tuned properly, the belt driven will be using more of the cooling systems reserve capacity. It just will not be as efficient.

Lepton
    Country
    United States
    I might be in for one for my oil cooler. Will a 8.5x11 cooler fit in your design? Or what's the intended heat exchanger size?

Thanks for being awesome.

Jason
    2011 Ariel Atom Not Supercharged
    2006 Range Rover Sport Supercharged

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast