Thread: Big Kumho Tires on an Atom 3?

Kim
    Country
    Denmark

Big Kumho Tires on an Atom 3?

Anyone familiar with the Kumho Ecsta XS tires?

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....Model=Ecsta+XS

My original Yoko A048s rears (245/40R17s) have scrubbed away completely - though the fronts (205/50R15s) are still like new. I'm thinking of the Kumhos, using the same size fronts and switching to 285/40R17s for the rears. Looks like a good tire for street and occasional track time in primarily dry conditions with the odd rain shower - something we in Florida have to consider.

Someone told me that a 285 is the widest tire that will fit on the Racing Dynamics 17" wheel, is that true? Of course I'll have to replace the rear fenders, but otherwise I think the benefits will outweigh any problems.

Any thoughts on this? Thanks in advance for your feedback.
    Last edited by Kim; May 22, 2011 at 09:13 PM.
    Kim
    2010 Atom 3 #131 - K20R/DBW Stage Two
    "I want to die peacefully in my sleep, like my grandfather; not screaming and terrified like his passengers."

Country
    United States
    If you've got a 17x9 Team Dynamics wheel, it *should* be able to take a 285. The overall diameter will be much larger, and you may need to lower the rear suspension a bit to compensate for it (which would then necessitate camber re-adjustment, and an alignment). I haven't heard of any feedback from anyone running Kumho's, so you'd be the guinea pig!
    300hp K20A | "It'll never go, my dears! Not if he's had anything to do with it."

Country
    United States
    If you are thinking of running the Kumho V710s,they don't come 285..only 275 or 295. I have run the V710's on the Atom in 245/45/17 up front and 275/40/17 on the back,(8" wheels up front, 9.5" wide rears),with good success (4 FTD's at autocross with them) They are about the stickiest DOT tire you will find. Probably not much good in the wet,as they only have two rain grooves. If I was looking to run a sticky DOT tire with tread, I would try the Nitto NT-01's out,or the Toyo 888's. Anything is an improvement over the Yoko 048's.
    Last edited by MadMaxAtom; May 23, 2011 at 05:20 AM.
    The power of an Atom is a terrible thing to waste! Atom owner/operator since 2007. The more you chase perfection,the faster it becomes. John Force for President! (I asked him once in person...he laughed)