Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need help removing shifter cables, at the transmission Calling Positron!!

Neutrino
    Country
    United States

Need help removing shifter cables, at the transmission Calling Positron!!

After upgrading to the harrop I'm now unable to move the shifter cables from directly over the oil filter. Positron do you have the regular oil filter still? Either way you probably have the answer for me, I need to disconnect the shifter cables at the transmission seems easiest so that I can move them out of the way and get that oil filter out.

Can someone post directions on how to do this, pics would be a massive help.

Thanks in advance ladies and gents.

Country
    United States
    Whatever group of "engineers" decided on the Ecotec oil filter setup should be hung,drawn and quartered.

Even in a fwd car the cartridge setup sucks. Hello?? This is the 21st century...we have spin-on oil filter even on lawnmowers!!

Sorry,can't help with the cables. I don't change my filter much..
    Last edited by MadMaxAtom; May 16, 2011 at 05:22 AM.
    The power of an Atom is a terrible thing to waste! Atom owner/operator since 2007. The more you chase perfection,the faster it becomes. John Force for President! (I asked him once in person...he laughed)

Neutrino
    Country
    United States
    regardless, I do thank you for your sentiment.

Neutron
    Country
    United States
    There are C shaped clips on the ends that attach to the shift levers. These need to be pushed backwards towards the cable and the ends then pop off. The cables are then bolted down to the transmission itself father up.

Neutrino
    Country
    United States
    thanks I'll take a look at this and see if I can carefully undo everything!

Country
    United States
    Quote Originally Posted by bolus View Post
    There are C shaped clips on the ends that attach to the shift levers. These need to be pushed backwards towards the cable and the ends then pop off. The cables are then bolted down to the transmission itself father up.
    yeah that ^ be careful of the C clips you only need to pry them up a bit as to let the TNY ball free. Too much and they will fly across the garage and behind the freezer lost forever.

Then you can remove the horseshoe clip that hold the cable through the hole. Duck bill pliers work best but needle nose should work as well. Pull the cable through the hole just remember which one was which. Also a good time to check the allen screws that hold the hole.

FYI the filter has IMO plenty of surface area and beginning to believe that if the filter is dirty then the motor is coming apart or you have a serious outside getting inside breach. I'm only changing about every 4 times or whenever I take the SC off, which ever comes first. But I change alot, probably too much. Got my Valvoline race oil, geepers at $8+ something a quart it may have to last significantly more days.

Neutron
    Country
    United States
    You sure it's the duck pliers on the horse clips? I though it was the Giraffe clamps on the donkey dongles

You dont need to take it off, just push it back toward the cable

unlocked

Country
    United States
    Well crap that's alot easier than I was doing it.. so how do you get it to jump the shoulder and go back?..

oh and that can't be your car.. it's not clean enough..

Neutron
    Country
    United States
    I dont remember, I think just prying with a little screw driver (yes these are in the extras box since I went turbo). I have some quick release ones on the car now. so much easier

Country
    United States
    yup, small screwdriver on the lip and tap gently with 10lb sledge

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast