Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dash mount shift light option?

Lepton
    Country
    United States

Dash mount shift light option?

you guys think these will be bright enough if I were to mount these on/under the dash?

http://www.customdynamics.com/indicator_led.htm

Cheers,
    Jason
    2011 Ariel Atom Not Supercharged
    2006 Range Rover Sport Supercharged

Neutron
    Country
    United States
    You would have to see them in person and try them out in sunlight to know for sure

Neutrino
    Country
    United States
    with LED's coming so far these days I'd think about shining them through the wind deflector OR lighting up the bubble.

just a thought lol, I want to hook up something cool as well but it's just sitting there on the long list of stuff I want to do but don't need to do

Country
    United States
    Quote Originally Posted by bolus View Post
    You would have to see them in person and try them out in sunlight to know for sure
    This. It's difficult to say how they'll act in the varying light conditions that you'll see when driving an Atom. To help this, you could try mounting it at the bottom of a black tube, then you'll get a lot of contrast between on and off!
    300hp K20A | "It'll never go, my dears! Not if he's had anything to do with it."

Neutrino
    Country
    United States
    appollyn25 from the other forum did this, which is what I was trying to explain

I thought maybe there was a chance I could lightup the edge of the bubble this way but I just took my mini mag light LED and put it against the edge of the bubble, nothing shines through, that could have been damn cool...oh well, I'll come up with something, and I still love Bolus's original shift light idea.
    Last edited by Steve; July 5, 2011 at 09:39 AM.

Country
    United States
    Quote Originally Posted by silver View Post
    I thought maybe there was a chance I could lightup the edge of the bubble this way but I just took my mini mag light LED and put it against the edge of the bubble, nothing shines through, that could have been damn cool
    There's a minimum thickness needed for the plastic to act as a light pipe, and I also believe that the bubble material isn't the optimal plastic for this as well.

Neutrino
    Country
    United States
    I agree, bubbles are a no go, but if I had the gunsights that would be exactly what I would do!!! oh whale.

Kim
    Country
    Denmark
    Just to add a different solution to the conversation, you may want to look at the Ecliptech shift light. We've used it on a couple of cars, including the GT40, and it's great - particularly if you like the F1-style cascading x-mas tree multi-light array.

As you can see from the photos, it is available with both a flat and curved bottom edge, so it will fit on a horizontal surface or along the top of the steering column.

I'm not using it on the Atom because it already has two sets (!) of shift lights: one on the optional steering wheel and another imbedded in my new tach that's being installed this weekend.

(Teaser: We've created a replacement dash with all new instruments that are easier to see, fully programmable, more accurate - no dummy lights, and with a factory-installed look. I should have photos next week, including my new custom-built all-carbon-fiber rear wing.)

Anyway, here's the website for Ecliptech:

http://www.ecliptech.com.au/index.ph...=59&Itemid=109
    Kim
    2010 Atom 3 #131 - K20R/DBW Stage Two
    "I want to die peacefully in my sleep, like my grandfather; not screaming and terrified like his passengers."

Kim
    Country
    Denmark
    Despite my affection for the Ecliptech, if you could incorporate shift lights into the Atom 3's tiny driver's windshield so it would completely illuminate you would have the absolute coolest solution bar none.

It would be an effective, elegant, and ingenious solution for a small but grateful market.
    Kim
    2010 Atom 3 #131 - K20R/DBW Stage Two
    "I want to die peacefully in my sleep, like my grandfather; not screaming and terrified like his passengers."

Neutrino
    Country
    United States
    Holy shit, the ecliptech shift light is near $200....for about $15 bux worth of LED's....I'm sure it cost a ton to tool up the plastic housing and all but damn, I'd think it would be around $20-$50, not $200
    Last edited by silver; May 16, 2011 at 02:14 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast