Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Considering replacing Dash2/Solo2 with an AIM MXP in SRA

Country
    Canada

Question Considering replacing Dash2/Solo2 with an AIM MXP in SRA

I'm giving serious consideration to replacing the stock Dash2 and the Solo2 DL in my SRA. I'm not satisfied with the telemetry I can get from the SRA in my current config. Adding additional sensors (brake pedal pos, steering) is not possible because the car isn't built to support it without a more powerful logger. Peter Krause from AIM gave me some good feedback on his experience with the SRA. The ECU is only to run the car and it doesn't have CAN on the car.

So, has anyone else made this kind of change? Besides the mechanical mounting challenges, I'm a bit daunted by the wiring. I'm hoping it will be as simple as unplugging the Dash2 and plugging everything into the MXP loom. I have a SmartyCam that is connected to the Solo2.

Thanks in advance for any guidance...

Electron
    Country
    United States
    I have the AIM MXS in my SRA. I purchased it from Peter and he provided good instructions for install and answered all my questions while I put it in. Its not exactly plug and play - i.e. the Aim dash does not just plug into the existing wiring. I didn't even try to use it. Rather, Peter provided a ODBII plug and cable - it plugs into the port on the SRA's Hondata ECU and then I ran the cable up to the back of the dash. From the ECU I get: RPM, water temp. Then I have sensors for Oil temp and pressure. There are other values coming from the ECU that show up in the data but I don't use: IAT, MAP, TPS. One of the harder parts of the install was wiring up the Oil cooler fans to be turned on/off by the MXS based on input from the oil temp sensor (stock the oil fan and the radiator fan are both wired to the ECT temp - I didn't want that, I wanted them to be controlled by separate sensors and relays). Here again Peter helped me thru figuring this out. He is really quite the source of info and really good at supporting his customers. The other big thing for the install was the aluminium dash itself. The Aim will not fit into the existing hole of the Dash 2. I bought a sheet of 1/8 in aluminium online and created my own dash. It wasn't two hard and I don't have any special tools. I just created a plywood template first and then cut the aluminium with a jig saw and hand sanded it. It turned out really nice. I also purchased a whole new switch set (ignition button plus switches) from Pegasus and mounted it to the dash - I have ignition switch to turn the the fuel pump, ECU, etc on. Then I have starter button and then separate switch for the MXS and smarty cam. Still have one switch that is unused right now.

I really like the MXS a lot. Its far nicer than the dash2. Aside from the display of speed, ECT, OP, OT and RPM I also have it configured to alert me (via colored lights) about high/low issues. For example if Oil temp gets too high or OP to low it will throw a red flashing light on the dash.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks for that info. I've never done anything like this on cars before. I'm comfortable with digital tech, but this project is a bit daunting and I don't want to screw it up. Peter has been great. I'm looking at adding the MXS, Oil T&P sensors, front/rear brake P sensors and a steering angle sensor. I wish I'd known when I bought the car what I know now and I'd have had the dealer do all this. I had them put in a Solo2 DL, which has been good, but I want more telemetry than I can get out of the basic ECU.

I wondered about the physical mounting plate. That's one more complication for me since I don't have any metal fabrication capabilities.
    Mark

Electron
    Country
    United States
    Yea, I know exactly what you are saying. It was daunting to me also and it actually took me quite a bit of trial and error. Also time - working only a couple hours a week it basically took two months during last winter. I didn't have everything I needed at the onset. Stuff like electrical connectors, heatshrink tubing, and heat resistant sleeves, etc had to be ordered as I figured out I needed them and all contributed to it taking so long. Having a race shop do it would have been much quicker and less hassle - but also probably close to $1000 more on top of the cost of the MXS.

Lepton
    Country
    United States
    If you guys need someone to take those Dash2 systems off your hands. Let me know what you'd take for 1.

Country
    Canada
    I'll keep that in mind if I pull the trigger on the MXS. Thanks.

Electron
    Country
    United States
    Quote Originally Posted by FrankRizzo View Post
    If you guys need someone to take those Dash2 systems off your hands. Let me know what you'd take for 1.
    Frank - I will take a look at what I have left (I know I have the dash itself but unsure what condition the wiring loom is in)

Ion
    Country
    United States
    @argonaut, does the MXS wash out in direct sunlight?

Country
    Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by argonaut View Post
    Its not exactly plug and play - i.e. the Aim dash does not just plug into the existing wiring. I didn't even try to use it. Rather, Peter provided a ODBII plug and cable - it plugs into the port on the SRA's Hondata ECU and then I ran the cable up to the back of the dash. From the ECU I get: RPM, water temp. Then I have sensors for Oil temp and pressure. There are other values coming from the ECU that show up in the data but I don't use: IAT, MAP, TPS. One of the harder parts of the install was wiring up the Oil cooler fans to be turned on/off by the MXS based on input from the oil temp sensor (stock the oil fan and the radiator fan are both wired to the ECT temp - I didn't want that, I wanted them to be controlled by separate sensors and relays). Here again Peter helped me thru figuring this out. He is really quite the source of info and really good at supporting his customers.
    My SRA has an Oil Pressure sensor that the Dash2 accesses via the ECU. When you ran the cabling to the rear of the car, did you use the center channel below the floor that runs from just blow the fuse box to just before the fuel cell? That's where the Dash2 cables to the ECU (and I think the brake light cable) run. Where did you mount the Oil Temp sensor? Looks like I can get Oil P, RPM, Water T, TPS from the ECU via OBDII. I like the idea of having the fans activated by more realistic inputs (Oil and Water T), but I think I'll leave that for a future project. This one is big enough for me!

So I think at this point, I need to run a new OBDII cable from the dash to the ECU and an Oil T sensor cable from somewhere to the dash. I'm figuring out how to install brake pressure sensors for front/rear, and finally the steering sensor. Peter pointed out there's some non-trivial (to me) calibration to be done on that one in order for it to be useful.

Country
    Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by texevora View Post
    @argonaut, does the MXS wash out in direct sunlight?
    Peter's recommendation to me was as follows:
    Ideally, you want the screen's face axis 20 degrees down from the plane of your eye position when sitting in the car. Helps contrast, reduces reflections.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast