Thread: How to connect a winch?

Country
    United States

How to connect a winch?

Forgive my stupidity- if my car came with no toe eye bolt, how would I connect to the winch in a trailer without damaging something?

Country
    United States
    Got towed many times, so here's how I got towed before I had a tow hook. There is a y strap that can be attached to the winch. The tow truck operator strapped them to the a-arms.

Country
    United States
    Quote Originally Posted by cvjoint View Post
    Got towed many times, so here's how I got towed before I had a tow hook. There is a y strap that can be attached to the winch. The tow truck operator strapped them to the a-arms.
    Ok. So I went to Northern Tool after I posted that. I bought one axle strap. I suppose if I bought another I could make it work like a Y. A tow hook would have been cool too tho. Wish I could just add one

Country
    United States
    Quote Originally Posted by I want an atom View Post
    Ok. So I went to Northern Tool after I posted that. I bought one axle strap. I suppose if I bought another I could make it work like a Y. A tow hook would have been cool too tho. Wish I could just add one
    $600 will get you one from TMI, it's the OEM wing mount plus the tow hook that goes on it. You have to remove the radiator to mount it, so you have to empty the water out and then refill and bleed, not easy.

Aside from being a wing mount, I like having it there as extra crumple zone.

Country
    United States
    Hmmm... I gotta go look. I have a wing but I swear there wasn't any provision for a hook there.

Country
    United States
    Ok. Wow, I missed it. There is a threaded hole right there for a hook. Duh. Next dumb question: where do I get a hook? Are they all threaded the same?

Country
    United States
    Great news haha. I'm not sure on the thread, but a tow hook should be fairly cheap from TMI.

Country
    United States
    Quote Originally Posted by cvjoint View Post
    Great news haha. I'm not sure on the thread, but a tow hook should be fairly cheap from TMI.
    I'm a bit disappointed in TMI at the moment- I called a guy there on Monday and asked about ordering a hook and he said to make a parts request on their website. OKAY, I guess. So I did just that, and it said 24-48 hours for response. Its been over 48 hours now, no response. I even emailed them this afternoon asking whats up and got crickets. I'm surprised, as my experiences with them up to now had been really great. I even told them in the email that if they don't have the part, if they could tell me the thread sizing I'd figure out something aftermarket.

I guess I might go to ACE Hardware and try out a bunch of bolts till I find the right size. Pretty lame.

Country
    United States
    Quote Originally Posted by I want an atom View Post
    I'm a bit disappointed in TMI at the moment- I called a guy there on Monday and asked about ordering a hook and he said to make a parts request on their website. OKAY, I guess. So I did just that, and it said 24-48 hours for response. Its been over 48 hours now, no response. I even emailed them this afternoon asking whats up and got crickets. I'm surprised, as my experiences with them up to now had been really great. I even told them in the email that if they don't have the part, if they could tell me the thread sizing I'd figure out something aftermarket.

I guess I might go to ACE Hardware and try out a bunch of bolts till I find the right size. Pretty lame.
    It's a monopoly on Ariel parts haha. I'll leave it at that. Fighting is futile.