• 2 Post By Lane

Thread: Brammo Atom 2 - degraded fuel line hose WARNING

Country
    United States

Brammo Atom 2 - degraded fuel line hose WARNING

2006 Atom 2 built by Brammo, 13 years old
    Here's what the fuel lines looked like at the filter end:

fuel_line_prob1.jpgfuel_line_prob3.jpg

After pulling my Atom out of storage after a long winter, I started it up to run it for a while and took a look around the engine with a flashlight. I do this once in a while, but this time I was very thankful I had.

The fuel lines between the pump and filter were leaking significantly. Less than a spray, but more than a few drops. When I removed them, and removed the snap-lock ends from the end of the lines that connect to the filter, it was clear that the hoses had degraded internally quite a bit especially near the filter ends. Most of it appeared to be right where they slid onto the barbs of the snap-lock fittings. The hose almost looked melted internally and had become flaky, and the hose felt much softer at that location, no doubt due to it now being thinner. But it wasn't just a leak at the filter end - they also leaked where they slid over the barbed fittings on the pump itself.

The fuel line hose that Brammo used was red, Parker Parflex Hytron B906. It has a silicone look to it and is rated at 250psi (where it looks like typical fuel injection hose is around 40-50psi). This doesn't appear to be the wrong application so I thought it was quite odd that it degraded the way it did. Also, I don't run methanol or any fuel additives or anything like that.

I replaced them with some Gates 225psi hose that my local O'Reilly Auto Parts had bulk and in stock. I ordered a new fuel filter and will replace that also. I'm posting this here as a warning to other owners. Even if you don't see any problems, you may want to consider replacing them as preventative medicine. It sure beats an engine catching on fire.
    Last edited by Lane; June 9, 2019 at 09:58 PM.
    cvjoint and sector: 4 like this.
    Ariel Atom 2, Ecotec 300, owner since 2007. Drive, Detail, Improve, Repeat. Visit my website.

Country
    United States
    BTW - anyone know where those barbed end fittings which click onto the fuel filter might come from? Yes, I know, I should ask TMI to see if they know.
    Ariel Atom 2, Ecotec 300, owner since 2007. Drive, Detail, Improve, Repeat. Visit my website.

Electron
    Country
    United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Lane View Post
    BTW - anyone know where those barbed end fittings which click onto the fuel filter might come from? Yes, I know, I should ask TMI to see if they know.
    You could try sending that photo to Pegasus Auto Racing, they may have it or at least can advise you on it. (if you don't know of Pegasus - they are a premier supplier of racing equipment to amateurs and pros alike. The staff are all racers and enthusiasts and know their stuff)

Blog Entries
    Country
    United States
    Ask for BOB

Country
    United States
    Thanks for the heads-up. Back in 2013 when my GM fuel pump failed I had the lines apart. I hadn't noticed any issue with line degradation at the time (7 year old red silicone hoses). it's been another few years so another inspection is in order. Especially since I've been running E-85 for a while now.

Country
    United States
    Truth be told, the red fuel lines are not fuel compatible. They are designed for water, air or oil. Even though they do say fuel in the title of the hose. I swapped those out within the first six months of ownership along with the fuel pump, gaskets and all fuel filters.

Up Quark
    Country
    United States
    Dumb question I know, But go easy, I've only had my atom a year. But where is the filter located?

Up Quark
    Country
    United States
    Never mind, it's bolted to the trans. My oil filter/cooler was relocated by the previous owner. It always concerned me that I get oil on the lines when I change the oil. Anybody make aftermarket fittings to use braided lines instead of rubber?