Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking for brake pad recommendations

Fermion
    Country
    United States

Looking for brake pad recommendations

Hi all, I have the standard Wilwood Dynalite Sport Brake Package on my AA3. Wondering if someone knows the brake pads part number or links to buy them from which are compatible. Looking for recommendations for performance on track but usuable on the street. Please help!

Ion
    Country
    United States
    Here is the link to the Dynalite product page on Wilwoods site: https://www.wilwood.com/calipers/cal...temno=120-6806

Here is link to Wilwood pad specification for the Calipers: https://www.wilwood.com/BrakePads/Br...t?padtype=7112

Wilwood makes many different pad compounds for the caliper. You can pick a compound that meets your usage - street or track. Lets say for example you want the Poly Matrix Q compound, part number 15Q-6824K. If you google that part number you can find lots of places to purchase. In fact you can order them on Amazon. https://www.amazon.com/d/Automotive-...Set/B003XVCV00

If you don't want Wilwood brake pads, many other manufactures make pads that will fit. For example, Hawk makes pads that will fit the Dynalite caliper.

I have an SRA (track only) and thus don't have any experience with street/track combo pads.

Hope that helps.
    Last edited by argonaut; May 29, 2019 at 05:47 AM.

Gluon
    Country
    United States
    I also have the Wilwood's on my car---here's my take on brake pads (street driving). This may or may not help you in your quest for a "track" pad that can be used on the street, but I have tried all these pads listed below:

BP10--wooden feeling, not much stopping power
    BP20--significantly better stopping than BP10, but still wooden--squeals at low speed.
    PolyMatrix E--better than any of the BP compounds I have tried, but excessive SQUEALING. Still feels a bit "wooden" to me. This pad felt much better once I got the brakes very, very warm (15 minutes on a mountain road), but for everyday driving, I liked other pads better.
    EBC Green--similar to the Poly-E compound, but better initial bite and less squealing( still made enough noise for me to replace the pads). Also, feels just a bit "wooden", but acceptable and slightly better for a daily-driver than the Poly-E.
    Hawk Blue--this is the pad I currently run. It has a little less initial bite than the EBC Green, but does not squeal and once warm(1/2 second of applying the brakes) has a very linear pedal feel with a bit more ultimate bite than the EBC's. Wooden feeling is only ever so slightly present.
    PolyMatrix D--This is my favorite pad, but no longer available. Similar to the Hawk Blue, but with a progressive pedal feel (the harder or hotter I worked the brakes the better the pad performed).

Note: I live in the Sierra's, 15 minutes and 6.8 miles up a mountain road that has 33 turns and rises from 4400' to 6200' feet. Then, falls to 5600' and rises again to 6400'. All the pads listed, except the BP-10, do very well once thoroughly warmed and perform great once half of my drive up or down the mountain is complete. But, it is generally the "wooden" feeling during light city driving and the EXCESSIVE noise that keeps causing me to try different pads...plus, i keep finding deals on Ebay--I have not paid more than $30 for any of these pads.
    Last edited by jeff8407; May 29, 2019 at 12:05 PM.

Fermion
    Country
    United States
    Cool Thanks guys for the recommendation. What is your take on the hawk pads?

Ion
    Country
    United States
    Quote Originally Posted by atomvik View Post
    Cool Thanks guys for the recommendation. What is your take on the hawk pads?
    Pads are kind of like oil, everyone has their favorite. Its not that one brand is better than another - as long as you match the compound to your usage, they all do their job. In past I've used a variety of different brands: CL, Wilwood, EBC, Carbotech, etc. Recently I've settled on Hawk - mainly due to their price and availability more than anything performance related. But I will say that I'm finding something interesting on the Atom, I'm wearing rotor rings faster than I think they should.

Before the Atom, I tracked a C5 Vette. Because of their speed and weight, Vettes burn thru rotors and pads very quickly. Its not unusual to only get a few days out of a set of rotors and pads. The way a rotor wears on a tin top car is first it will micro-fracture. In just a session or two you will start to see tiny hairline cracks on the faces of the rotors. These will eventually grow bigger until one of them cracks open enough to visibly see and insert a fingernail into - thats when you know its time to replace. Occasionally a rotor will crack thru to the edge - you can hear it 'ding' when cooling down in the paddock. The point here is that on a Vette - you never worry about wearing the rotor's thickness because they will crack long before they wear thin.

Back to what I'm seeing on the Atom: I have yet to see any micro fractures on a rotor, they simply are not getting hot enough and don't have the big temperature differentials to crack like on a Vette. But rather what happens is they wear out, i.e. get thinner. Like I said above, to me they seem to be wearing thinner a lot faster than they should. For example, I've nearly worn the 'slots' off a set of new rings in 4 days. Thats kind of crazy. I'm starting to wonder if its the Hawk pads I've been using. I've often heard people say two things: a) when used on the street (i.e. at low temps), race pads will wear out rotors in nothing flat because they are so abrasive when not up to their operating temperature and b) Hawk pads in particular are hard on rotors.

I'd be interested in anyone else's experience with pads and rotor wear. I may try a different brand next time I buy pads. Carbotech's for example are often said to be easy on rotors.

Fermion
    Country
    United States
    where do you buy rotors from then? LOL

Country
    United States
    Could your squealing be due to the leading edge of the pads not being chamfered? Not all pads are.

Country
    United States
    snipped a bit:
    Quote Originally Posted by argonaut View Post
    Carbotech's for example are often said to be easy on rotors.
    This is my go to performance brake pad. The reason they are "easy on rotors" is because their compounds are much softer than the rotor/friction ring being that they are made of ceramic/kevlar compounds. They dust a bunch but it's not oily, sticky or corrosive so it's easy on the wheel finish. With the light weight of the Atom, I would use XP10 in the front and XP8 in the rear (track, auto-x and street duty). For a less aggressive set-up (just auto-x and street duty), XP8 in front and AX6 in the rear.

Ion
    Country
    United States
    Quote Originally Posted by atomvik View Post
    where do you buy rotors from then? LOL
    My SRA uses willwood rings part # 160-12892. They are widely available from many vendors.

Country
    United States
    I'm on stock rotors and pads. My rotors heat cycle and crack through before they wear out. The pads and rotors last an incredible amount of time, it's actually hard to wrap my head around how much exactly. The rotors develop cracks and eventually crack through and have to be replaced. I still have slots on them when this happens.

I've thought about why they heatcycle first and my best guess is due to miscellaneous events on track where brakes cannot be cooled. This includes red flags, or seeing the checkered right before the exit out of the track and forgoing a proper cool down lap. Last time the track got redflagged I had to stop on track like everyone else and my front driver's side pads were in smoke. Nothing I could do to cool them down and the rotor is soaking up all that heat. I moved a foot or two back and forth so as to make sure the pads touch the rotor more evenly to prevent warping but that's about it.

IMO this is the best you can ask of a car in terms of braking peformance. I've never been happier with brakes.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast