Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 36
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: max safe coolant temp?

  1. #21
    Electron 2/3rdsCobra's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Location
    Fresno, CA
    Posts
    169
    Country
    United States
    Quote Originally Posted by texevora View Post
    Just providing an update for the masses on this topic. With temps hitting 100+ in Texas the last few weeks, I've been seeing coolants temps of up 226 degrees (this is for both coolant/water 50/50 mix, and distilled water with Water Wetter and a cup of coolant for anti-corrosion protection). I've moved my Dash2 temp alarm for coolant temp up to 230 (copying Argonaut) and all seems to be fine so far.
    I can help w/this. Take 1/4 thick ABS and fab up an undertray before and after the radiator. When there is positive pressure behind the radiator face as a result of airflow while driving, fans and ram pressure have to "fight" to push air through the core. By fabbing an undertray, you will see a large coolant temp drop. I fabbed an undertray and splitter (I have the Ecotec engine which has an A/W heat exchanger sitting horizontally behind the radiator) to reduce coolant temps. Today w/ambient temps in the 90's @ steady state I was seeing 180 degree water temps, even under load/boost. Here's a couple pics of my designs.

    IMG_1143.JPG IMG_1144.jpg
    Last edited by 2/3rdsCobra; September 14, 2019 at 09:24 PM.

  2. #22
    Fermion
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    DFW
    Posts
    51
    Country
    United States
    Thanks @2/3rdsCobra, very helpful and timely post. I was hitting 231 today multiple times.

    Will definitely give this a shot and report back.

  3. #23
    Lepton cvjoint's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    San Francisco
    Posts
    414
    Country
    United States
    I always thought that horizontal heat exchanger is an intercooler on the Ecotecs. Good baffling for sure.

    The Atom 4 has full baffling built ahead of the main radiator so that all of the air that makes it past the nose intakes goes into the core.

  4. #24
    Electron 2/3rdsCobra's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Location
    Fresno, CA
    Posts
    169
    Country
    United States
    Quote Originally Posted by cvjoint View Post
    I always thought that horizontal heat exchanger is an intercooler on the Ecotecs. Good baffling for sure.

    The Atom 4 has full baffling built ahead of the main radiator so that all of the air that makes it past the nose intakes goes into the core.
    It is. The A/W heat exchanger acts as a rear under tray, however since there is a fan above it to pull air through the core, it (the A/W heat exchanger fan) creates positive pressure behind the radiator core; bad for clear airflow through each of the core and can lead to overheating. For the Honda powerplants, since there is no heat exchanger behind the radiator, you can fab an under tray there. To solve the problem of the positive pressure behind the cores on my Ecotec powerplant, I fabbed a 45 degree air diverter that allows the air going through the radiator to flow back and up while the air coming through the A/W heat exchanger to flow towards the bulkhead reducing positive pressure behind both cores and improving the performance of each.

  5. #25
    Lepton cvjoint's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    San Francisco
    Posts
    414
    Country
    United States
    Quote Originally Posted by 2/3rdsCobra View Post
    It is. The A/W heat exchanger acts as a rear under tray, however since there is a fan above it to pull air through the core, it (the A/W heat exchanger fan) creates positive pressure behind the radiator core; bad for clear airflow through each of the core and can lead to overheating. For the Honda powerplants, since there is no heat exchanger behind the radiator, you can fab an under tray there. To solve the problem of the positive pressure behind the cores on my Ecotec powerplant, I fabbed a 45 degree air diverter that allows the air going through the radiator to flow back and up while the air coming through the A/W heat exchanger to flow towards the bulkhead reducing positive pressure behind both cores and improving the performance of each.
    The fan is pulling air from the bottom of the car and pushes it out behind the radiator? That is funky. I suppose that's the only way because the intercooler needs cold air, it can't use the one coming out of the radiator.

    With a secondary radiator instead of an intercooler I would think pushing the air under the car would be better. You'd help air get pulled out of the main core, which is the one doing most of the work. Not sure what the optimum baffles would look like then.

  6. #26
    Electron 2/3rdsCobra's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Location
    Fresno, CA
    Posts
    169
    Country
    United States
    Quote Originally Posted by cvjoint View Post
    The fan is pulling air from the bottom of the car and pushes it out behind the radiator? That is funky. I suppose that's the only way because the intercooler needs cold air, it can't use the one coming out of the radiator.

    With a secondary radiator instead of an intercooler I would think pushing the air under the car would be better. You'd help air get pulled out of the main core, which is the one doing most of the work. Not sure what the optimum baffles would look like then.
    Not really; you want a clean air source not air that has already been through 1 heat exchanger.

  7. #27
    Lepton cvjoint's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    San Francisco
    Posts
    414
    Country
    United States
    Quote Originally Posted by 2/3rdsCobra View Post
    Not really; you want a clean air source not air that has already been through 1 heat exchanger.
    Agree, to maximize what the horizontal HE is doing you want the clean/cold air coming from the bottom of the car. If both are coolant HE you would want to maximize the system's cooling ability not just the secondary HE's. I guess what you are saying is that hampering the main radiator's outflow is a worthwhile tradeoff to get cooler inflow air into the secondary radiator. Maybe that's true, we have a fairly open chassis that can breathe well.

    If all those tradeoffs are true, that means the "hot country radiator" does not actually use the stock radiator fan re-mounted, but rather gets a new fan to pull air from the ground up.
    Last edited by cvjoint; September 17, 2019 at 11:24 AM.

  8. #28
    Fermion
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    56
    Country
    United States
    Quote Originally Posted by cvjoint View Post
    Dash 2 is pre-programmed to show hi temp at 215* or so. What you are seeing given the ambient is normal on a K24Z7 if ran hard. I was getting up to 220* on clean laps when I had the K24z7 and close to 230* when trying to pass some car (and blocking some of the airflow).

    You can program the Dash 2 to move the warning to 230*, that's what I did. I believe a K24Z7 will run forever even if you regularly see 220*.

    Extra cooling can be had via horizontal radiator (hot country radiator) which I have asked TMI for but it's on backorder. I suppose the more of us order one the more likely they'll make them. The other option is sidepods from TMI from the 3S. One sidepod is an additional radiator.

    Fun fact, the K24Z7 runs hot. The 4 into 1 head is notorious from pulling heat from the exhaust, it was designed like that on purpose for emissions. I have a 4 port head on the K24Z7 bottom now and the coolant stays pinned below 200* while making 59whp more. The SRA cooling system is quite good, it's the head that sucks. Another reason why I don't care much for the Atom 4. The K20C in that one is also 4 into 1. Worse design for motorsport ever.
    Does the K24Z7 like the 3S has come with the 4 port head or 4 into 1? If not, where do you get this 4 port head? basically just run a new head on the motor

  9. #29
    Lepton cvjoint's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    San Francisco
    Posts
    414
    Country
    United States
    Quote Originally Posted by jordanhiggins2002 View Post
    Does the K24Z7 like the 3S has come with the 4 port head or 4 into 1? If not, where do you get this 4 port head? basically just run a new head on the motor
    The K24Z7 comes only with single port head from Honda. The 3S uses the K24Z7 stock, as it comes in Honda Civics, so it only has single port head.

    The K20Z3 head is compatible with the K24Z7 bottom. It's not the only K20/K24 combo on the market, it might not even be the only K24Z7 bottom K20 head combo. The Ariel Atom 3RS comes with a 4 port head, not sure which one, likely the K20Z3.

  10. #30
    Fermion
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    56
    Country
    United States
    Quote Originally Posted by cvjoint View Post
    The K24Z7 comes only with single port head from Honda. The 3S uses the K24Z7 stock, as it comes in Honda Civics, so it only has single port head.

    The K20Z3 head is compatible with the K24Z7 bottom. It's not the only K20/K24 combo on the market, it might not even be the only K24Z7 bottom K20 head combo. The Ariel Atom 3RS comes with a 4 port head, not sure which one, likely the K20Z3.
    so you just gotta run the K20Z3 head and it helps your motor run a lot cooler plus the added HP. I went to the track in bakersfield and it was 100 degrees outside and it seemed like everyone was having temp issues (motors, exhaust, brakes, etc)

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Normal Operating Temp for the 3/3s
    By 06Arielatom in forum General Ariel Atom Technical Discussion (for all UK and US versions)
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: September 3, 2018, 02:14 PM
  2. Still having coolant temp issues with LSJ
    By RyanD in forum General Ariel Atom Technical Discussion (for all UK and US versions)
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: August 16, 2013, 06:31 PM
  3. Powdercoat safe brake dust remover?
    By Payne in forum General Ariel Atom Discussion (for all UK and US versions)
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: April 9, 2012, 02:19 PM
  4. Happy Easter to everyone have a safe Holiday.
    By Atommatt in forum Humor and Off-Topic Discussion
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: April 8, 2012, 01:46 PM
  5. safe or not safe?
    By ksrimounchanh in forum US Ariel Atom 2 (Brammo) Technical Discussion
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: April 6, 2012, 06:21 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •