Thread: What did you use to attach plexiglass side panels on aa2?

Particle
    Country
    United States

What did you use to attach plexiglass side panels on aa2?

Wondering what others have used to attach plexiglass side panels to the frame tubes on their AA2?

My AA2 doesn't have the factory tabs welded to frame...

Thought about rivnuts in the frame but that would be permanent.

Thanks for any input.

Electron
    Country
    United States
    Quote Originally Posted by CORNER CARVER View Post
    Wondering what others have used to attach plexiglass side panels to the frame tubes on their AA2?

My AA2 doesn't have the factory tabs welded to frame...

Thought about rivnuts in the frame but that would be permanent.

Thanks for any input.
    Mine did not come with those tabs either. I am going to have a shop weld them on to my chassis soon.

Country
    United States
    Quote Originally Posted by CORNER CARVER View Post
    Wondering what others have used to attach plexiglass side panels to the frame tubes on their AA2?My AA2 doesn't have the factory tabs welded to frame...Thought about rivnuts in the frame but that would be permanent.Thanks for any input.
    Heavy-duty nylon cable ties? U-strap clamps? U-bolts? Rare Earth magnets?
    Last edited by sector: 4; February 10, 2019 at 03:39 PM.

Electron
    Country
    United States
    Quote Originally Posted by sector: 4 View Post
    Heavy-duty nylon cable ties?
    You could also use the metal thread inserts. Just drill into the tubes, insert the threaded insert and then use screws with lock tight to hold in place.

Particle
    Country
    United States
    Heavy-duty nylon cable ties?
    Not like this car is lacking on zip-tyes...

Thought about a magnetic attachment, but assumed magnets would let go at speed...

Found zip-tyes that have a hole in the end. Pair that with a nut and bolt...

Might resort to a Stainless Steel cable clamp, like an R clamp, that has a hole that would be flush with the outside of tube. Perfect for a nut and bolt to retain panel. but might not be appealing from the inside.

Particle
    Country
    United States
    Quote Originally Posted by 06Arielatom View Post
    You could also use the metal thread inserts. Just drill into the tubes
    I have rivet nuts left over from the e85 pump swap. Just not sure i want to drill holes in the side of the frame... Although I have thought about it. I assume, once I have side panels on, I will always want to have side panels on. I would not think the holes required would have an impact on frame tube strength. Just still feels sketchy to drill into the most beautiful part of the car.

Country
    United States
    Yes, anything can let go if it's not made suitably strong.

Cushioned "Adel" clamps like that may have a tendency to distort and pull away. That's why I suggested some alternatives which have attachments on both sides of the tubes. I'm not sure they make them large enough anyway.

You may be able to design a "nut" (or 1/4 turn receptacle or plate nut) that clamps into place on a tube using a worm clamp or similar.

I've seen some U-bolts with sheet metal brackets on exhaust systems that might be of use. There must be an off-the-shelf bracket somewhere for mounting stop signs and things to round tubes. The panel may not be flush though.

I personally wouldn't want to drill or weld on my frame.
    Last edited by sector: 4; February 10, 2019 at 04:29 PM.

Particle
    Country
    United States
    Welding tabs would require refinishing, and blending of the paint might be noticeable. I think drilling into my frame is out.

Using an Adel clamp, I would not think the side panel would see a load that would pull it away from the frame, as long as the leading edge would not catch the wind.

Country
    United States
    All you'll need to do is push on the panel from the inside and the clamp will want to spin and the ends will bend. You're going to want the ends facing down in this case to minimize this so that the panel is hanging from the clamp, otherwise the weight of the panel alone will cause problems. Cushioned clamps might work OK if you use enough of them. At least it won't mar the finish.
    Last edited by sector: 4; February 10, 2019 at 06:21 PM.

Electron
    Country
    United States
    All you'll need to do is push on the panel from the inside and the clamp will want to spin and the ends will bend. You're going to want the ends facing down in this case to minimize this so that the panel is hanging from the clamp, otherwise the weight of the panel alone will cause problems. Cushioned clamps might work OK if you use enough of them. At least it won't mar the finish.
    Yes, if you could find some cushioned clamps that would go over the angled tubes, then drill beveled holes on the panel, then attached with screws to the clamps. No, drilling or welding on the chassis.

Maybe something like this. Just use only one half of the item. https://www.alibaba.com/product-deta...436cd496jZ2nN2
    Last edited by 06Arielatom; February 12, 2019 at 03:17 AM.