Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By sector: 4
  • 1 Post By sector: 4
  • 1 Post By 2/3rdsCobra
  • 1 Post By 2/3rdsCobra

Thread: Atom 2 w/76mm pulley, what serpentine belt?

Country
    United States

Atom 2 w/76mm pulley, what serpentine belt?

I'm going to be upgrading a few parts on Capt. Proton this winter and since I'm under the car, I figured that a belt change was in order. Is the OE belt the size I need?

Country
    United States
    Yes. Should be a NAPA 25-060505 (Gates K060505), 20mm x 1297mm.
    Last edited by sector: 4; January 20, 2019 at 09:01 PM.
    2/3rdsCobra likes this.

Country
    United States
    Quote Originally Posted by sector: 4 View Post
    Yes. Should be a NAPA 25-060505 (Gates K060505), 20mm x 1297mm.

Country
    United States
    Just checked; the OE belt for the 2007 cobalt ss is DK060702. I'm assuming the Atom unit is shorter as a result of no AC and smaller SC pulley, correct?

Country
    United States
    Quote Originally Posted by 2/3rdsCobra View Post
    Just checked; the OE belt for the 2007 cobalt ss is DK060702. I'm assuming the Atom unit is shorter as a result of no AC and smaller SC pulley, correct?
    I don't know about the pulley, but the no A/C alone would account for the difference. The belt I described is specified in the 2006 Brammo Atom owner's manual (but shows 1295mm). Don't you have a manual? There's a .pdf version available on here.

https://www.arielatomchat.com/forums/thread252.html
    Last edited by sector: 4; February 1, 2019 at 04:25 PM.
    2/3rdsCobra likes this.

Country
    United States
    Went out and picked the belt up. I'll be pulling the SC and manifold off next week to do the ZZ Performance Option B "upgrade". I figure that the bleed line upgrade alone for the A/W IC will be worth it let alone the increase in water volume. I also picked up all new gaskets, washers and O rings to freshen up the engine while I complete the install. I'm also designing some shrouding and air diverters to minimize positive pressure behind both heat exchangers as well as directing air to the radiator face. Time and funds permitting, I may design a fan shroud that moves the fan away from the core so that there is a full viscous effect through the entire heat exchanger core and less whipping of the air just behind the core. All this and a new set of wheels and BFG R1S and I'll be ready to get some track time in.
    sector: 4 likes this.

Country
    United States
    The laminova tubes are supposed to be the bottleneck in the SC cooling system. It would be interesting to find out if the dual-pass upgrade works.

Country
    United States
    Quote Originally Posted by sector: 4 View Post
    The laminova tubes are supposed to be the bottleneck in the SC cooling system. It would be interesting to find out if the dual-pass upgrade works.
    I can see that, especially w/higher boost pressures than stock. I don't plan on going any smaller than the 76mm (2.99 inch) that came with my Atom so I believe that the laminova cores may still be working within their design capacity. With the dual pass and ZZ Performance Option B upgrades (inclusion of a reservoir and a dedicated air bleed valve on the manifold) I should see a decrease in IAT (with my new ECU and dedicated IAC sensor, I get real time info on what the ECU sees via CAN BUS on my gauge pack). I also have designed a radiator shroud system for the Atom 2 which should help w/cooling efficiency of both the A/W heat exchanger and radiator. I don't want to let the cat out of the bag just yet but if they work, I may fab up a few more units for sale.
    sector: 4 likes this.