Thread: Trailer size for Atom

Gluon
    Country
    United States

Trailer size for Atom

I am considering purchasing enclosed trailer and wondering - based on experience - what is smallest practical size. Based on spec 12ft long will be OK and - depending on door clearance/tires - 6-7ft wide.

I will be taking it to track so I'll have some tools/misc items in it - though it won't outfitted as some race trailers are. Parking is a consideration so smaller size is desirable.

So perhaps 7x12 with V-nose and 7x14 without?

Thank you

Country
    United States
    I would think you need a wider trailer. Can you fit your fronts past the fenders and the rears at all with a 7 foot wide trailer? And if you can fit them with an inch to spare that's not really something you can work with.

Gluon
    Country
    United States
    Quote Originally Posted by cvjoint View Post
    I would think you need a wider trailer. Can you fit your fronts past the fenders and the rears at all with a 7 foot wide trailer? And if you can fit them with an inch to spare that's not really something you can work with.
    To clarify - dimensions are of "bed" - not outside.

Stock spec-racer has 72"=6ft width - I'd think an extra foot should suffice...

Country
    United States
    Quote Originally Posted by aoysgelt View Post
    To clarify - dimensions are of "bed" - not outside.

Stock spec-racer has 72"=6ft width - I'd think an extra foot should suffice...
    I was looking at the Aluma trailers and an 8.5' car trailer, actually only has 8' width inside rear and only 6.8' between the fenders for front wheel clearance. So even on a bed that's 7' wide the fronts would only have 5.8' clearance. Curious to see what you end up with!

My trailer is a 14". Some of the considerations are weight distribution. Since the front is so light you may want a longer trailer to park it further forward to prevent sway. Another consideration is extra room for a front wing. Some of the ones I've seen can easily add a foot to the length of the car. I wouldn't look at anything less than a 8.5' x 14' trailer.

Electron
    Country
    United States
    I have an enclosed 24 ft. Featherlite for sale that I bought specifically for the Atom. Fits perfectly, with plenty of room for extra gear. PM me if interested. In VA.

Gluon
    Country
    United States
    Quote Originally Posted by cvjoint View Post
    I was looking at the Aluma trailers and an 8.5' car trailer, actually only has 8' width inside rear and only 6.8' between the fenders for front wheel clearance. So even on a bed that's 7' wide the fronts would only have 5.8' clearance. Curious to see what you end up with!

My trailer is a 14". Some of the considerations are weight distribution. Since the front is so light you may want a longer trailer to park it further forward to prevent sway. Another consideration is extra room for a front wing. Some of the ones I've seen can easily add a foot to the length of the car. I wouldn't look at anything less than a 8.5' x 14' trailer.
    Curious if proper weight distribution can be achieved by adding extra weight near trailer coupler - where it would be most effective...

Country
    United States
    Quote Originally Posted by aoysgelt View Post
    Curious if proper weight distribution can be achieved by adding extra weight near trailer coupler - where it would be most effective...
    That's one way. Most companies will sell you factory storage boxes that go in that spot or spare wheels. There are weight distribution hitches, and some cars come equipped with anti-sway. Any of those are good options.

Ion
    Country
    United States
    Leave room for extra tires.

Electron
    Country
    United States
    I had an aluminum two bike motorcycle trailer that I had an extension made for the rear and when I loaded the car the front tires would touch the little rail but just barely. I also moved the rear axel back and bought a 50lb barbell plate that I bolted to the front of the trailer and it worked great. I sold the trailer but still have the extension as the buyer didn't need it.