Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Ariel Road Course Laptimes

Country
    United States
    Quote Originally Posted by argonaut View Post
    CV - how do you like those mirrors? Do you have a link to them? (I swear, mirrors are a consumable on this car).
    I saw the SRF (Spec Racer Ford) mirrors and I liked them better than the Atom ones that kept unscrewing themselves and getting lose. Then I used some key insight from my friends that ride motorcycles and discovered that they are motorcycle mirrors and I could get them for $10 each. Best of all they even fit in the stock bolt hole. So everytime they break I just replace the whole thing, it's just one bolt. Emgo 20-25172, Emgo 20-25171. They break just as often as the stock ones but they only cost $10 as a full assembly and I think they are higher quality and more adjustable.

You could still have them get out of whack if they get hit by tire chunks or rocks or if they are lose. They're not exactly huge and easy to see through either.

I buy them on Ebay and I keep spares at the track. I also cover them in 3m foil so that when they do break they don't fall on the track.

Electron
    Country
    United States
    Thanks. I will look into them.

Fermion
    Country
    United States
    Quote Originally Posted by cvjoint View Post
    I saw the SRF (Spec Racer Ford) mirrors and I liked them better than the Atom ones that kept unscrewing themselves and getting lose. Then I used some key insight from my friends that ride motorcycles and discovered that they are motorcycle mirrors and I could get them for $10 each. Best of all they even fit in the stock bolt hole. So everytime they break I just replace the whole thing, it's just one bolt. Emgo 20-25172, Emgo 20-25171. They break just as often as the stock ones but they only cost $10 as a full assembly and I think they are higher quality and more adjustable.

You could still have them get out of whack if they get hit by tire chunks or rocks or if they are lose. They're not exactly huge and easy to see through either.

I buy them on Ebay and I keep spares at the track. I also cover them in 3m foil so that when they do break they don't fall on the track.
    when you say 3M foil you are talking about the glass part of the mirror right?

Country
    United States
    Quote Originally Posted by jordanhiggins2002 View Post
    when you say 3M foil you are talking about the glass part of the mirror right?
    Yes, 3m security window film. Keeps all the glass on the car.

Country
    United States

Laguna Seca New Personal Best

-Own time
    -1:32.2

-Laguna Seca
    -CCW
    -Layout: standard
    -Bypasses none
    -64* dry

-Ariel Atom SRA
    -modified
    -Keizer 10"/11" wheels with 245/295 Hoosier A7
    -HPD engine K24/K20 frank
    -aero
    -transmission: 6 speed manual
    -Go-fast options: Rotrex @ 14psi

-Warning/failure if any:
    -Anything that strongly influenced results (e.g. corded tires, rock met face): 46 heat cycles on the front tires and half of that on the rear, guy ahead rolled tire off rim exiting turn 6 and had to lift, injuries from running heh!
    -Feedback or notes:
    Speed: 41.7 mph to 133.3 mph, average of 86.9 mph
    Lateral G: 1.82 to -1.74

-Video or photos
    https://youtu.be/CqYvMVJcwho

Country
    United States

Laguna Seca by Darin Polsley

Darin's laps were an inspiration for me since I first found them out there in the public. I think they belong in here for the record, no better material for our archive!

As far as I know these are the stats. I believe Darin tested and helped develop the SRA with TMI. See https://www.ariel.club/forum/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=12788. He set the records for Atoms on a number of tracks and those are the ones you see on the TMI website. He also won NASA's Thunderhill 25 hour in Spec Miata and got 2nd in Spec Miata class championship. Anyone that's into racing knows those are some of the toughest races, lots of skilled drivers and no politics and money to get in the way.

The car is an Atom 2, with custom aero, 225/275 Hoosier A6 slicks, and the UK spec Type R engine.

-Darin Polsley
    -Lap time 1:33.159
    -Track Laguna Seca

-Atom 2
    -Stock UK spec car
    -Hoosier 225/275 A6
    -K20Z4
    -Custom aero

-Video or photos
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TsAgWuoRqcw
    Last edited by cvjoint; October 15, 2020 at 04:44 PM.

Country
    United States

Thunderhill Raceway 3 mile Personal Best Time

-Own time
    -1:50.4

-Thunderhill Raceway
    -CCW
    -Layout: 3 Mile
    -Bypasses: with Bypass
    -71* dry

-Ariel Atom SRA
    -modified
    -Keizer 10"/11" wheels with 245/295 Hoosier A7
    -HPD engine K24/K20 frank
    -aero
    -transmission: 6 speed manual
    -Go-fast options: Rotrex @ 14psi

-Warning/failure if any:
    -Anything that strongly influenced results (e.g. corded tires, rock met face): Got a coolant leak so I was checking the screen a bunch and running highish temps
    -Feedback or notes:
    The video is the entire session with NASA in time trials. I put lots of comments in there. Fastest lap starts at 5:45.

-Video or photos
    <font color="#333333">
    https://youtu.be/b7i-vE-hqBU
    Last edited by cvjoint; August 11, 2020 at 11:08 AM.

Country
    United States
    -Lap time: 2.03

-Track: BWRWP
    -Direction: CW
    -Layout (if more than 1): 13
    -Bypasses (if any): None
    -Conditions/Temp: 95+

-Type of Ariel Atom 2
    -Stock or modified: Mod
    -Wheel and tire package: Konig 15x7.5 w/ BFG R1S in 205F & 225R
    -Engine: 2.0l Ecotec SC (OE Roots)
    -Aero package: Stock Atom 2
    -Transmission: OE 5 speed w/ ATB Differential from Quaife
    -Go-fast options: Exhaust and ECU and fuel system upgrade
    -Modifications, if modified: Palatov bell crank kit, cromoly adjustment thimbles and extended shank rod ends for control arms

-Warning/failure if any: none
    -Anything that strongly influenced results (e.g. corded tires, rock met face): It's very hard to breathe when 3/4 of California is burning. You can see the haze in the video, it actually covered the lens giving the video a sepia look. I did have some fuel cut mid session due to fuel level. Captain Proton gets hungry when pushed.
    -Feedback or notes: First time on track w/Captain Proton and first time on this track since it was re-paved, so it's been a bit. I wasn't going for time; my focus was seeing how Captain Proton behaved on track with the suspension settings, however I did lean into it sometimes. I was expecting the heat to affect the engine output more than it did. Coolant temps just touched 198 degrees but then again, I wasn't on any flyer.

Last edited by 2/3rdsCobra; November 11, 2020 at 09:47 PM.
    cvjoint and sector: 4 like this.

Country
    United States
    Yaaas, Captain Proton made it to the circuit! When I get my engine pieced back together and I head to BW will hopefully get to g2g. Cooling is made easier in part by the high speed nature of the course, lots of air over the cores, but BW does tend to overheat cars since the ambient temps get out of control.

Rough pavement on BW. With those 225 section rears and all that power you probably left half the thread at the track!
    2/3rdsCobra likes this.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234