Thread: SRA Wheel Fitment compatibility

Gluon
    Country
    United States

SRA Wheel Fitment compatibility

Curious if anyone has successfully used the 949racing 15x9 +36 offset for the fronts and 15x11 +20 offset wheels for their SRA?

If so, did you require any spacers to clear the stock Wilwood brakes?

Did you need hubcentric rings?

Anything funky I should be aware of with respect to the factory studs or any other issues I should be aware of for putting on an otherwise stock SRA? The intent would be to use 205/50 fronts and 275/35 rears (Hoosier A7s), and eventually install fenders.

Ion
    Country
    United States
    205/50 tire on 15x9 rim? Thats to wide of a rim. 205/50 tires call for 5.5-7.5 in wide rims.

No direct experience with the 949 racing wheels but from what I can tell, few 15" wheels will clear the brakes. For example, I tried a set of Enkei RFP1 15" wheels on the front and they weren't even close to clearing. The stock SRA fronts are the D-Force LTW 5 wheels and you can see by their design why they clear the brakes. Mostly from looking at images online (while I was shopping for rims), I'd say that the majority of low priced 15" rim choices wouldn't clear. On the other hand, 16" wheels will clear the brakes. For example, I have a pair of Enkei RPF1 16" for the rear, and they clear fine. The RPF 1 do require a hub centering ring.

There is nothing weird with the factory studs: Standard M12x1.5 stud on a 4x100 bolt pattern.
    Last edited by argonaut; October 8, 2018 at 05:39 AM.

Gluon
    Country
    United States
    Good to know on the bolt pattern, thanks for clarifying.

My comment about the 15x9 working with a 205/50 Hoosier was based off of @Richard Buckingham's post here:
    https://www.arielatomchat.com/forums...html#post21149

If anyone has firsthand knowledge of the 15x9 and 205/50 Hoosier being compatible, please let me know!

Country
    United States
    Quote Originally Posted by texevora View Post
    Good to know on the bolt pattern, thanks for clarifying.

My comment about the 15x9 working with a 205/50 Hoosier was based off of @Richard Buckingham's post here:
    https://www.arielatomchat.com/forums...html#post21149

If anyone has firsthand knowledge of the 15x9 and 205/50 Hoosier being compatible, please let me know!
    The rule of thumb for getting the most out of the tire on road course is wheel width=thread width. Keep in mind, some tires are cheaters and run much wider, especially Hoosiers.

Best source for this are Miata track guys. They've been running optimal width for each tire for a while now and these are tires that would be popular on that platform.

I would actually base my decision on track feedback and extended talks with the manufacturers. There are Hoosiers rated for a 10" wide wheel only in the catalog, whose carcas is used in professional races with 7" wheel widths, ie. 3" off the recommendation.

Ion
    Country
    United States
    I run the 205s on 9s and find it works just fine. Better than on the spec 7s for sure and better than on 8s, as well. And I don't think you can beat the 949 wheels. They're light, cheap and can take a beating.

If you run A7s, getting heat into the tires isn't an issue because their heat range is 110-140 and if you can't get to 110, you're really doing something wrong. Heck, I worry about heat cycling my A7s when my garage gets to 100 degrees. Sure, A7s aren't spec, but they're much faster, easier and more pleasant to drive than R7s. They last around 20-25 heat cycles with not all that much drop off in performance. They're best grip lasts up to about 8 - 12 cycles, though. Pretty much like R7s in that respect. And if you're not running the spec series (does that exist any more?), so what?

Gluon
    Country
    United States
    I have a set of the 949 rims. 15x7 up front (205/50/15) and 15x8 rears (225/50/15). They clear my Wilwoods, but the rears do not clear the OEM fenders. I have the Palotov uprights, so this may not help you.