Like Tree5Likes
  • 2 Post By 2/3rdsCobra
  • 1 Post By argonaut
  • 1 Post By cvjoint
  • 1 Post By cvjoint

Thread: Captain Protons first autocross outing since flexfuel upgrade.

Country
    United States

Captain Protons first autocross outing since flexfuel upgrade.

I went to a autocross event organized by Omega motorsport at the Buttonwillow raceway kart track last weekend. Had a great time running out the car with the new ECU. Captain Proton performed flawlessly. I ran a total of 18 runs, well over what you would normally get in an SCCA autocross event. I still have a few more upgrades to do this winter however the car is well on its way to being a reliable track day and weekend car. This is one of my faster runs however it's not my fastest. I was quick enough to get the top time in the Euro class however.

06Arielatom and sector: 4 like this.

Ion
    Country
    United States
    Nice long course. Great driving. I originally got into motorsports via AX in a Mustang, but that was a decade ago, only track days now. I recall AX being a ton of fun but at the time most events I'd only get about 6 runs and stand around chasing cones the rest of the day. Any event with 18 runs would be pretty awesome.
    2/3rdsCobra likes this.

Country
    United States
    Yes, the Captain is out! Perhaps it will play with The Bastard one day. I mean c'mon, how is autocross any better than Thunderhill 2 mile? You get about 5 times more track time/$ with an HPDE and with Thill 2 mile you won't go over 105 mph.
    2/3rdsCobra likes this.

Country
    United States
    The whole event was very worry/trouble free; no working, no run groups/classing and no run limit. I was tired after running that day. CV, the reason I'm running AX is to get familiar w/Captain Proton before I put wheels on track. I'm still trying to find the right shock settings and looking to make the engine work a little cooler while on track. 20-25 minute sessions @ 85+% can tax even the best cooling systems so I'm hyper vigilant and cautious when my temps start to rise.

Country
    United States
    Quote Originally Posted by 2/3rdsCobra View Post
    The whole event was very worry/trouble free; no working, no run groups/classing and no run limit. I was tired after running that day. CV, the reason I'm running AX is to get familiar w/Captain Proton before I put wheels on track. I'm still trying to find the right shock settings and looking to make the engine work a little cooler while on track. 20-25 minute sessions @ 85+% can tax even the best cooling systems so I'm hyper vigilant and cautious when my temps start to rise.
    I haven't even touched my shock settings. I spent all my energy trying to figure out the wheel/tire package and get comfortable with it. From what I gather, when setting the bump it's literally based on how bumpy the course is. The racetracks we have are quite smooth, whereas the autocross pavement seems to have a lot of bumps at both Laguna Seca and Sonoma. I would think you'd want different settings at least autocross vs. track.

Mine understeers at the limit, quite a lot. So I think I'll try to set the shocks to reduce understeer on Sunday. It will be my first foray into shock tuning. I don't mind the understeer that much, it gives me a lot of confidence but it could be a bit faster.

I should also say, how much heat you pump into the tires will change the understeer/oversteer balance. Car may be nervous in autocross with all tires likely too cold, but on track the rears might be optimally hot whereas the front tires are still not hot enough. The atom could oversteer in autocross and understeer on the road course. If you find a good way to adjust on the fly, let me know.

I get you on the cooling, very important. I have it on my Santa list to buy the hot country radiator.
    Last edited by cvjoint; September 28, 2018 at 10:58 AM.
    2/3rdsCobra likes this.

Country
    United States
    I tried adding 5 clicks of bound and rebound in the rear to help alleviate the understeer condition. Nothing happened, then maxed them out at 18 clicks. Still understeers heavily... The car wasn't nervous over bumps or anything like that.

I think in my situation full bound and rebound rear, and min front is the way to go. What I really need are stiffer rear springs. I believe I have #400 front #300 rear. If so, #500 rear would work nicely.

Curious to see what you end up with.