• 1 Post By cvjoint
  • 1 Post By jeff8407

Thread: Normal Operating Temp for the 3/3s

Electron
    Country
    United States

Normal Operating Temp for the 3/3s

Hello Everyone,

I was wondering what is your normal coolant operating temperature during the spring/summer months?

Fermion
    Country
    United States
    Depends, street driving I see 170-190, high side when its hot out with traffic.

Country
    United States
    I have a Atom 3 SRA. I ran it as high as 225* water while following cars on track in 100*+ ambient. Without any car up ahead it doesn't hit more than 218*. Car stabilizes ~200* as long as it's not over 85* ambient.

Electron
    Country
    United States
    Thank you for the replys. I am trying to see if my Frankenstein 3s(originally 2) has higher than normal temps. I can see a high of 216 in stop and go traffic.

Country
    United States
    That seems really high to me. I have no problem maintaining 200* on a really hot day sitting in the grid. The fans kick on and temps stabilize nicely. I would check that the fans turn on and that the thermostat is opening. That said, my SRA comes with the large aluminum radiator and an oil cooler with fans mounted on both.

I drove pretty consistent fast laps at Laguna Seca yesterday in 68* ambient and coolant oscillated between 190* and 198* in the last 4 laps.
    06Arielatom likes this.

Electron
    Country
    United States
    Quote Originally Posted by cvjoint View Post
    That seems really high to me. I have no problem maintaining 200* on a really hot day sitting in the grid. The fans kick on and temps stabilize nicely. I would check that the fans turn on and that the thermostat is opening. That said, my SRA comes with the large aluminum radiator and an oil cooler with fans mounted on both.

I drove pretty consistent fast laps at Laguna Seca yesterday in 68* ambient and coolant oscillated between 190* and 198* in the last 4 laps.
    That is what I was thinking as well. I will need to bring it to a shop and have them take a look.

Gluon
    Country
    United States
    06Arielatom, your temps are normal. At least, they seem to be the same as mine....

I have the dual radiator set-up and a high-output 2300cfm aftermarket fan mounted on one radiator on my K20.

My car regularly jumps to 200+ degrees at a stoplight during the warm summer months, even with the fan. If I continue to let the car idle, the fan will gradually bring the temp down and go off at about 187 degrees.

During the cooler months it runs at thermostat temp (176 degrees) on the open road, but the fan will still occasionally kick on at a stoplight (fan on at 196 degrees).

It is not unheard of for my car to see 200+ degrees on the open road if I go up a grade or it is 95+ degrees outside. For example, last month I drove the Tehachapi grade from Bakersfield to Mojave during the heat of the day, it was 106 that day. My car was at about 196 on the flats but ran continually at 211 degrees up the 4000+' grade.
    Last edited by jeff8407; September 19, 2018 at 04:30 PM.
    06Arielatom likes this.

Electron
    Country
    United States
    Awesome, thank you for letting me know. I plan on increasing the power to 500hp this winter. Will need built motor and trans, plus better cooling system.