Like Tree3Likes
  • 3 Post By RedmondAtom

Thread: Dealing with Skunkwurx is hell - slow/no response, missing parts

n00b
    Country
    United States

Angry Dealing with Skunkwurx is hell - slow/no response, missing parts

Just a word of warning to those considering buying one of their RaceDash upgrades: don't buy it from Skunkwurx. My speedo went out on my original cluster, and since I am planning to sell my Atom, that's a problem. Instead of just getting the OEM replacement, I thought I'd upgrade it and make the car just that much more attractive when selling it. So I ponied up the $1600 on April 20th, and was told that it would be completed in 3 - 4 weeks (apparently they are all hand-crafted... right). After 6 weeks I started asking them how long it was going to be, and got excuse after excuse. Every time I emailed, it took 24 - 48 hours to get a response, if one came at all. It finally arrived June 30... but was missing any mounting hardware. Since it doesn't attach in the same way as the OEM dash (there isn't clearance to use the original mounting tabs), there's hardware required.

So, I emailed (Matt @ Skunkwurx, only email I can get is sales@skunkwurx.co). Got a response 2 days later saying only Hamid knew the answer, and he was out for a week. Okay. So I waited until he was back, and still no response. I emailed again, and... crickets. These guys just don't care. They got my money, shipped me something, and I guess I'm on my own to fabricate a mounting solution. If they were up front about that at the beginning, I probably wouldn't have bought it, since fabrication is time-consuming and expensive. A $1600 purchase becomes a $2000 - $2500 purchase, depending on the difficulty of the fabrication.

At this point, I feel like I have to write them off and file a dispute with PayPal (like that will do anything!). I'm sufficiently annoyed that I'll be reaching out to friends in the UK to see about what sort of consumer protection government folks I can poke. Mostly, I just feel helpless and cheated.

Buyer beware: don't deal with these guys if what you're buying needs to a) get there in any sort of reasonable timeframe, b) needs to be mounted or installed, or c) you like getting what you pay for.
    Atommatt, Mitchell and sector: 4 like this.

Fermion
    Country
    United States
    Are you talking about this dash?
    skunkwurx-ariel-atom-digital-dash.jpg

If so I'm surprised by their description it doesn't fit existing tabs.

If not Skunkwurx then who? Doesn't seem like many others are making aftermarket accessories for the Atom. I could see some delay in responding to emails, they're 8 hours ahead of my timezone and basically anything I send during my business hours isn't even going to be read from them until the next day if they follow a 9-5.

Country
    United States
    It's hard to get in contact, nearly impossible. Sometimes the product is less than perfect too.

Considering how few Atoms are sold, and that Skunkwurx is likely in business more for enthusiasm than profit I'd say we're price takers and part/service takers.

I ended up ordering parts from them without ever successfully getting in contact after months of trying. I used forum members' input and then dealt with the little inconveniences. We're lucky to have Skunkwurx regardless of the service, fit and finish. You have to look at the outfit as more of an enthusiast run business.

n00b
    Country
    United States
    I just ordered front an rear wings for a 3S. It took 2 days to get an email response and questions answered. I ordered off the website the next day. They shipped the following day and everything arrived in FL 2 days later. Shipping cost was $250 communications was fine fitment was fine. I would not hesitate to order from them again.

Brian

Country
    United States
    FYI my Skunkwurx fender stays broke at the weld the first day I used them. Hence, I decided not to get Skunkwurks wings and went with another supplier.

jid
    Blind Apex
    Country
    United States
    Quote Originally Posted by cvjoint View Post
    FYI my Skunkwurx fender stays broke at the weld the first day I used them. Hence, I decided not to get Skunkwurks wings and went with another supplier.
    What other vendor is there? A recommendation for another is always welcome in this small space.

Country
    United States
    I went with the Ciro wings. I will have more details once I mount them, but I have them in hand, will try to run them this weekend.

I ordered the front and rear carbon fiber biplane wings last year. I ran into multiple issues as well with the order. But, I persevered and got the wings as ordered. The product I received was excellent quality, installed without any issues, and works well.

Unfortunately, it's often the case with these small suppliers that they suffer from issues that one doesn't experience with more capable (and expensive) sources. In this case, as a small supplier the communications and customer service we come to expect can be easily disrupted by events outside of our control. As frustrating as it is, it's just reality.

While it's good to let people know, this supplier seems to try meet customer needs. That's a lot more than some suppliers I've experienced.

Country
    United States
    I placed an order for some wings with Skunkwurx last month and received the items several days later from the UK. I feel I received exceptional service and would certainly buy from him again. My 2

Blog Entries
    Country
    United States
    I agree, no problems from my end.