Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Atom 4?

Country
    United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Atommatt View Post
    How is the engine cover slipped around the roll bar? Is this a computer generated model.
    Looks like a few bolts have to be removed to get the inner intake tract removed:

http://hanabi.autoweek.com/sites/def...?itok=_k8-fiPx

The cover has the usual four twist off pins and likely forward and up movement to get it off.

My guess is the intake tract is simply not long enough to get laminar flow on the Ariel 3, hence the longer tract seen here. OR... Ariel 4 simply has a cleaner look with the roll bar integrated and the downside is a smaller intake tract opening.

Blog Entries
    Country
    United States

Country
    United States
    It appears the K20C1 overheats in the Civic Type R application. I looked around to see what kind of temps it is getting before it hits engine limp mode, looks like 252* water so it has a high threshold for overheating and still hits it in ~10 minutes when driven hard.

By comparison the Atom 4 radiator is smaller surface area wise but hopefully gets better airflow than the Civic. In either case, I think having to cool that exhaust gas with the engine coolant is a bit of a high load and can present a problem for the Ariel too. Let's hope the Atom can reject more heat.

https://www.vtec.net/news/news-item?...tem_id=1329332

As a point of reference I only drove on that track once in my life. I was going 4 seconds faster than the Civic Type R in this article. The SRA cooled down no problem but this was in the winter, so probably not a fair comparison. However, the SRA never pushed over 225* water and that maximum was while following a Viper ACR in 103* ambient for a good 20 minutes I'd say at much higher loads compared to Buttonwillow where I didn't know the racing line.
    Last edited by cvjoint; August 6, 2018 at 02:54 PM.

Country
    United States
    Some new information from Goodwood:
    https://www.goodwood.com/grrc/event-...m-goes-fourth/

Two bits jump out at me. The integration of the roll-bar in the airbox is there to clean the air. This should enable cleaner air to a rear wing. I believe it. However, with a roll-bar I bet it's a moot point as the wing should be mounted high in clean air.

The other interesting bit is about future improvements. Clearly a revised turbo is going to be THE upgrade.

Fermion
    Country
    United States
    There were so much comparisons between Atom 3s, Atom 3.5R vs Atom 4 in terms of design, suspensions, drivetrain and mechanicals. In regards to performance aspect, everything are just on paper & speculations.

Is there anyone here run their street Atom 3S or Atom 3.5R against a less powerful budget Spec Race Atom (SRA) in the race track?
    I like to know how these cars paired against each other.
    Last edited by s2kseven; October 19, 2018 at 10:49 AM.
    Atommatt likes this.

Country
    United States
    To be honest, we just don't have enough data from enthusiasts, or at least it isn't good. For example, I haven't got passed by Atoms since I bought my SRA in March 2017. There have been a few 3S and 3.5R cars at my track days. However, I wouldn't count that against the car. The Atom in any trim needs a pro driver to ooze out what it can do, so most lap times fall on the driver. I've seen a video of an Atom doing 1:33 at Laguna Seca, K20A naturally aspirated model with stock aero. Most of that has to be the driver as I'm not even close to that.

The only real good lap times are the Spec Atom lap records from back when they ran VIR. But you can only use that to learn how fast an SRA goes around VIR.

Electron
    Country
    United States
    Review of the Ariel Atom 4 from Carfection

https://youtu.be/RIiNNrmQXq4

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12