Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Mitchell

Thread: Dyno results of a stock AA3 230HP K24

Gluon
    Country
    United States

Dyno results of a stock AA3 230HP K24

I took my car over to a local shop today to bounce around my ideas for a build. I was curious what the stock AA3 makes, before I start throwing money at it. The shop only charges $40 for three passes on the Dyno, so I figured, why not?

Best pass:

175.9 HP @ 6800, 169.7 lb-ft @ 4250

I figured it would have been much closer to 200 HP at the wheels. I'd say it's fair to say TMI's claim of 230HP from the K24Z7 is BS, unless we really do have a staggering 24% parasitic loss.

Their tuner thinks I could expect 300 at the wheels from adding a supercharger and injectors.
    Last edited by Mitchell; May 17, 2018 at 04:52 PM.
    sector: 4 likes this.

ejo
    Country
    United States
    The 230HP is claimed at the crank not the wheels. 176hp is low. You should be seeing somewhere is the neighborhood of 195hp. What dyno was this on. Mustang dynos typically read low. My SRA made 223hp on a dynapack after some tuning.

Gluon
    Country
    United States
    Quote Originally Posted by ejo View Post
    The 230HP is claimed at the crank not the wheels. 176hp is low. You should be seeing somewhere is the neighborhood of 195hp. What dyno was this on. Mustang dynos typically read low. My SRA made 223hp on a dynapack after some tuning.
    This was on a Dynocom 5000 Series.

You got 223 HP at the wheels with just tuning? Yours is a K24 with the integrated exhaust manifold in the head? Basically every Honda guy I've talked to said this is the worst K24 to start with.

What did you need to do for the tuning? Our ECUs are locked, right? This shop will tune for $350 NA, or $450 with boost... seems cheap, but I've never sent a car to a shop in my life other than for an automatic transmission rebuild.

With the cost of a used engine, I'm half tempted to swap to another K24 with K20 head, but then I'm looking at probably $2k just to have the exhaust fabricated. I'd like to do this in stages, and the exhaust seems like an eventuality, but can't build the headers with the existing head.

Country
    United States
    There's a lot to be gained through proper tuning the intake cam. Without knowing what the tune is you could be leaving a lot of power/midrange on the table.

Then there's the issue of what 'stock' motors make on that particular dyno. There needs to be some correlation to the 'real world' otherwise it's an isolated data point. Some chassis dynos read high, some low.

My 2.0l K20A AA2 made more than 220 to the wheel on a Dynojet which is par for the course. I don't know what the k24s with the single bung-hole exhaust average.

Country
    United States
    Looks like 215hp/200tq at crank to me. If you have a cat and the big muffler I think that's where you lose 15hp. The SRA's have a much more freer flowing exhaust than the street atoms.

2009 Atom 3 with K20A

Interesting. My 2009 Atom 3 with the Honda K20A produced 201 hp (at the wheels) as delivered -- at an altitude of approximately 100ft in Sacramento and probably around 60-70 degrees F.

With a tune (for 93 octane fuel) after fitting a Honda K-Pro ECU (to meet my areas smog testing requirements), it produced 227hp. Using the proportion of 201/245hp, this is approx. 270hp at the flywheel. FYI.