Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By CORNER CARVER

Thread: Quick question from the new guy

Up Quark
    Country
    United States

Quick question from the new guy

Hey guys, I'm going through my new car....which is amazing. I came across a worn idler pulley. Its just below the supercharger pulley and above the alternator. I didn't find a definite part number in search. I'm assuming it's just a factory 07 cobalt SS idler pulley based on my search from rock auto. Anybody have a preference on brand for this guy? Thanks!

Particle
    Country
    United States
    GM parts will usually have a casting number on the part.

C07A LSJ 2.0L or 07 Cobalt SS with an LSJ the GM part number for the idler bracket with pulley is 12584364. BUT, the way you describe it sounds to me like the tensioner pulley 12583180. GOOGLE image both numbers and compare or just get the number off of your part.

Now I am curious, and will have to inspect my AA2's drive belt setup and routing.

To answer your question, I prefer GM parts over aftermarket, you get what you pay for. Factory parts are produced to factory tolerances. My .02

Particle
    Country
    United States
    Image.pdf
    #2 = 12583180
    #4 = 12584364
    Last edited by CORNER CARVER; May 15, 2018 at 11:57 AM. Reason: added part #'S

Up Quark
    Country
    United States
    Ok so I found that this is not a GM part. The GM tensioner pulley is ribbed and this one is smooth. The stock one 77MM diameter, 26mm thick and 17mm inner diameter. I found a reference for a replacement on Ariel club which is steel and works when reversed. I got one on order to see if it will work.

Country
    United States
    Mine is smooth because it acts on the smooth side of the belt. Ribbed or smooth should depend on which side of the belt the tensioner operates on, not on who made the part. They're not interchangeable.

1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg
    Last edited by sector: 4; May 17, 2018 at 12:29 PM.

Up Quark
    Country
    United States
    Quote Originally Posted by sector: 4 View Post
    Mine is smooth because it acts on the smooth side of the belt. Ribbed or smooth should depend on which side of the belt the tensioner operates on, not on who made the part. They're not interchangeable.

1.jpg 2.jpg
    I'm referring to the idler pulley above the alternator and under the super charger. The part I picked up today was a perfect match for size and is metal. I found it in this thread.

Ecotec tensioner and idler pulleys. - Ariel.Club Forum

Country
    United States
    Quote Originally Posted by ShakaShaun View Post
    The GM tensioner pulley is ribbed and this one is smooth.

Uh, OK.

Particle
    Country
    United States
    Quote Originally Posted by ShakaShaun View Post
    The GM tensioner pulley is ribbed and this one is smooth.

After looking at the setup on the ECO in the AA its definitely not a cobalt setup. Cobalt has both pulleys ribbed and ours have both pulleys smooth.

Thanks to MAX (HAYWOOD) for the goodyear part numbers 49281/49036 from the other site. Although he's probably not listening.
    sector: 4 likes this.