Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Blew my K20a engine on AA3 - Advice needed

NKC
    Up Quark
    Country
    Canada

Blew my K20a engine on AA3 - Advice needed

Hi guys,

So I blew my 2009 K20A supercharged engine on my AA3 over the weekend on track with about 2500 track miles. Still trying to figure out what the issue is but by the sound of it, it seems like a connecting rod rattle due to lack of oil.

With my recent research, it seems that the K20A was from the FN2 Civic Type R with RRC intake manifold with a 11.7:1 compression. I might be wrong on this. I've been having a hard time sourcing the correct engine for a swap that would run fine with the factory JR supercharger and ecu tune from the factory. I'm wondering if I can direct swap with any of the K20a and not have to reflash with flashpro from TMI.

My goal is to swap something in that will work in the meantime for my summer fun on track while I can slowly rebuild my old (2500mile) K20A Type R engine and have it as a spare. Would it be possible to just go with a K20z3 or maybe even a K24 and still run the same supercharger and ecu map? Anyone have experience with this? I'm new to this K engine stuff and would greatly appreciate some sage advice. Thank you.

Fermion
    Country
    United States
    If I was in your shoes I would reach out to KMOD Performance. They are in Highpoint NC. They only work on K20/K24 have a good reputation.

Good Luck

Country
    United States
    I say no way you can run the same map with K24z7, piston speed would be nuts, there is no VTEC on exhaust valves and I bet even the accessories are different. I say you get the same K engine AND tune it again.

NKC
    Up Quark
    Country
    Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by 9and3 View Post
    If I was in your shoes I would reach out to KMOD Performance. They are in Highpoint NC. They only work on K20/K24 have a good reputation.

Good Luck
    Thanks, I reached out to them via email. Waiting for their reply.

NKC
    Up Quark
    Country
    Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by cvjoint View Post
    I say no way you can run the same map with K24z7, piston speed would be nuts, there is no VTEC on exhaust valves and I bet even the accessories are different. I say you get the same K engine AND tune it again.
    You're right, I should stick to the K20. I was wondering if K20z3 would work since AA3s used them for a while.

Gluon
    Country
    United States
    Any K20 engine should fit as long as you use your existing ancillaries. Be aware that the K24 engines have a different block (19mm taller) and require different engine mounts--I do believe TMI sells them however.

The closest replacement to your FN2 will be and import "RED TOP" engine most likely out of a DC5 or EP3(11.5:1). The 2002-2006 Acura RSX, Type S(K20A2) or a K20Z3 out of a 2007+ Civic SI will also work, and may even give you more power due to their lower compression at 11:1 versus the 11:7 of the FN2.

You will most likely need a tune because Honda was continually refining camshafts with each engine iteration unless you swap your old cams into the replacement engine.

NKC
    Up Quark
    Country
    Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by jeff8407 View Post
    Any K20 engine should fit as long as you use your existing ancillaries. Be aware that the K24 engines have a different block (19mm taller) and require different engine mounts--I do believe TMI sells them however.

The closest replacement to your FN2 will be and import "RED TOP" engine most likely out of a DC5 or EP3(11.5:1). The 2002-2006 Acura RSX, Type S(K20A2) or a K20Z3 out of a 2007+ Civic SI will also work, and may even give you more power due to their lower compression at 11:1 versus the 11:7 of the FN2.

You will most likely need a tune because Honda was continually refining camshafts with each engine iteration unless you swap your old cams into the replacement engine.
    Thanks a lot for your info. After speaking with some K-gurus around town, I've decided to go with a low mileage (~30k mile) K20z3 swap because its much easier to source and much cheaper. The shop is going to try to hack into the hondata and worst case would be using another ecu that he can actually tune with his dyno.

I hope I get roughly the same amount of power with the k20z3 if not more with a good tune.

Gluon
    Country
    United States
    Good luck.

When you rebuild your primary engine, do not hesitate to use a lower compression used shortblock Honda engine. Most of the 2.0 engines without the VTEC system have about 9.8:1 compression--a much better compression ratio for boost. These engines work great when you swap your high-performance head. The internals on the lower HP engines are very stout and can easily handle 10psi boost. I'd just change the rod bolts to ARP ,swap cylinder heads, and get a smaller supercharger pulley to get 1-2lbs more boost( 1 lb. more boost will more than compensate for the loss in compression ratio). You can buy a low mileage engine for the cost of a set of forged pistons....$800 in my area.
    Atommatt likes this.

Country
    United States
    I believe some K's have cracked cap rods, some don't. Sometimes the blower is deep into the inefficient range and produces more heat than boost with a smaller pulley, or the belt slips, or the fuel system can't suport it, or the supercharger bearings can't handle it. With the low cr blocks you might get less power and lower reliability. It's a tough question.

Gluon
    Country
    United States
    Quote Originally Posted by NKC View Post
    Thanks, I reached out to them via email. Waiting for their reply.
    I was bouncing around ideas for my car and KMOD Performance isn't too far away, but their Google reviews are horrifying. Has anyone dealt with them directly?
    Last edited by Mitchell; May 14, 2018 at 06:11 AM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast