Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Opinions needed - turn signals

Lepton
    Country
    United States

Opinions needed - turn signals

I'd like your thoughts on front and rear turns.

Fronts: Should I center the lights on the plate? Or should I put them closer to the nose cone?

Rears: Do you like them better horizontal, or angled down toward the A-Arm mount?

Forgive the zip tie engineering... I'll be cutting off the madonna mounts, and welding flat steel to the tube coming up from the A-arm mount, then using 3M adhesive to glue the LEDs to the steel. I'm using 3/4" X 1/8" on the driver side, and 2" X 1/8" on the passenger side, to have room to bolt on the front plate. (NOTE: the plate was on a car that I bought from a street racer, not going to to be run on the Atom, just for mockup purposes)

Thanks,
    Jason

Centered:

Offset:

Horizontal:

Verticalish:
    Last edited by Payne; May 1, 2011 at 10:45 AM.
    2011 Ariel Atom Not Supercharged
    2006 Range Rover Sport Supercharged

Country
    United States
    for me, centered and horizontal ...

Country
    United States
    Ditto

Neutrino
    Country
    United States
    do you have the turn signal stalks for the rears? I think it looks good when you use the stalks, especially if you are going to customize them to match the lights.

front signals

rear signals

Last edited by Steve; July 5, 2011 at 09:28 AM.

Neutrino
    Country
    United States
    also I noticed you are doing seperate LED's white / orange.

personal opinion is it would look best with a single led strip that functions for parking light, and turn signal

on the rear you can get the brake light to operate as the parking light, brake and turn signal if you add this control module that combines brake turn and park into 2 wires instead of 3 or 4 wires (used for trailers)

If you like that Idea I'll track down where I got mine. You will also need an LED flasher, otherwise they will flash quickly, you might already have this flasher I'm just bringing it up just in case.

Country
    United States
    I also don't think I would necessarily concern myself with the front plate. I ran with one for a while and then I took it off, no difference. They catch a lot of wind and exert a lot of pressure on whatever your mount is, for instance, mine worked fine until about 100 mph and then it would curl under and block full wheel cycle. Of course that only happened at the track.

Lepton
    Country
    United States
    Quote Originally Posted by silver View Post
    do you have the turn signal stalks for the rears? I think it looks good when you use the stalks, especially if you are going to customize them to match the lights.
    I don't have the rear stalks. I like the lights better on the frame anyway. It's hard to see in the pics, but in life/3D, it flows perfectly off the curvature of the top bar of the frame and looks really great.

Quote Originally Posted by silver View Post
    also I noticed you are doing seperate LED's white / orange.

personal opinion is it would look best with a single led strip that functions for parking light, and turn signal

on the rear you can get the brake light to operate as the parking light, brake and turn signal if you add this control module that combines brake turn and park into 2 wires instead of 3 or 4 wires (used for trailers)

If you like that Idea I'll track down where I got mine. You will also need an LED flasher, otherwise they will flash quickly, you might already have this flasher I'm just bringing it up just in case.
    I thought about a single, but the drivers around here are terrible, so I'd like a separate orange and red lens. I'm going to autozone today to pick up some 'Nite Shade' lens tint paint, and will put a light coat on the turns to get them to match the brake lights.

I have the canceling flasher module that bypasses the flasher relay, and it works fine with LEDs, so I'm good there.

Quote Originally Posted by Norm View Post
    I also don't think I would necessarily concern myself with the front plate. I ran with one for a while and then I took it off, no difference. They catch a lot of wind and exert a lot of pressure on whatever your mount is, for instance, mine worked fine until about 100 mph and then it would curl under and block full wheel cycle. Of course that only happened at the track.
    Good call, I'll pull the plate on the track. I have a plan to reinforce the back of the plate as well for street driving.

Thanks for all the advice guys, appreciate it. Many more questions to come...

Country
    United States
    Flat black is the bomb.

To me a front plate on an Atom looks like a Witch's Wart on a teen fashion model's nose. However, the law requires it in some places.

Centered and Angled. Angled because it puts the lights further away from the center line of the frame. I would put the lights on the rear fenders if there were a practical way to do it.
    "Opportunities do not come to those who wait; they are captured by those who attack."

Lepton
    Country
    United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Gage View Post
    Flat black is the bomb.

To me a front plate on an Atom looks like a Witch's Wart on a teen fashion model's nose. However, the law requires it in some places.

Centered and Angled. Angled because it puts the lights further away from the center line of the frame. I would put the lights on the rear fenders if there were a practical way to do it.
    I really want to get these plates with my state issued number:
    http://www.licenseplates.tv/1963-cal...stat-1570.html

But it's illegal, unfortunately.

I debated putting the lights on the fenders, it's doable, but a big PITA, and it's unclear if the wires will last with the flex/vibration.

Country
    United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Payne View Post
    I really want to get these plates with my state issued number:
    http://www.licenseplates.tv/1963-cal...stat-1570.html

But it's illegal, unfortunately.
    You are kidding! That would look so much better!

Ah well.
    "Opportunities do not come to those who wait; they are captured by those who attack."

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast