Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree29Likes

Thread: TMI sucks ass

Country
    United States

TMI sucks ass

Ugh, the ONE thing I can't stand is a condescending person. So, I call TMI re; new fuel tank gasket. Right away he asks "is this for an Atom 2?" I said "yes". He said that the fuel tank gaskets are NOT the same for the Atom 3 and the 2. Now, here's where I'm a bit confused; When TMI assumed/purchased the right to manufacture the Atom here and got the jigs/molds/dies from Brammo, did they just scrap EVERYTHING and start from scratch? I asked him this question and he didn't even respond. I asked is there anything that is transferable? He said "the bell cranks are and maybe a few other things but it's a very short list." At that point he was quiet; I said "thank you" and just after I got the you out, he promptly hung up. Douche . I don't get it, why is TMI so adverse to selling parts to Atom 2 owners. Are they mad that people didn't buy an Atom 3? I can tell you, I will NEVER buy any TMI manufactured Atom. I'll spend double the $$ to import parts from Ariel UK.

So, what did other people do to solve the tank gasket issue? Is there a precut gasket or if not, what material was used (it needs to be E85 safe)?
    06Arielatom likes this.

Electron
    Country
    United States
    Hell Yeah! I agree completely. That is why I called Ariel in the U.k. If there were more demand for Atom 2 parts, I would love to offer us some options. Oh, I have my old atom 2 gas tank. Would you want my gasket? Just pay shipping. Hey your in Fresno, You can have my complete gas tank if you want. I'm in Concord, Ca.
    Atommatt and 2/3rdsCobra like this.

Country
    United States
    Quote Originally Posted by 06Arielatom View Post
    Hell Yeah! I agree completely. That is why I called Ariel in the U.k. If there were more demand for Atom 2 parts, I would love to offer us some options. Oh, I have my old atom 2 gas tank. Would you want my gasket? Just pay shipping. Hey your in Fresno, You can have my complete gas tank if you want. I'm in Concord, Ca.
    You have a PM.

Electron
    Country
    United States
    My experience has been different. TMI has been very accommodating to me as an Atom 2 owner. They fixed my gasket, among other things.
    jesse@tmi and 06Arielatom like this.

Country
    United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Curt View Post
    My experience has been different. TMI has been very accommodating to me as an Atom 2 owner. They fixed my gasket, among other things.
    That's awesome, I wish it was the same for me. For the life of me, I don't get the disparate treatment. I've called twice for two different issues and both times, I was met with the same condescending attitude and zero assistance. They didn't even want to sell me the part so I could modify it.

Blog Entries
    Country
    United States
    You could always make your own if you had to. Easy to do, and not over priced. Gasket, Hole punch, scissors, and your all set.

ejo
    Country
    United States
    Sorry to hear about your interaction with TMI. Both of my experiences with them have been great. Granted I have an SRA, so there is more of an incentive for them.
    jesse@tmi likes this.

Fermion
    Country
    United States
    Thank you for the comments on this thread – both positive and negative. We (TMI AutoTech) place an enormous amount of effort in making sure all Ariel customers are taken care of to the best of our abilities and have fulfilled many requests regarding the Brammo Atom 2 over the last ten years. After reading the initial post and seeing other Atom 2 owners reacting to the thread, I thought that it was important to add a response to allow for an understanding of the North American Atom 2 that was manufactured by Brammo.

The frustration of not having parts readily available is understandable. However, I would ask that you and other Atom 2 owners understand this is one of the complications of having an 11+ year-old bespoke vehicle. Furthermore, the fact that the Atom 2 was manufactured by a completely different company, using a completely different design/specification to what even an Ariel Atom 2 in the UK represents, must also be taken into consideration as a very unique situation.

To further clarify information from your post and others :

• Your statement “When TMI assumed/purchased the right to manufacture the Atom here and got the jigs/molds/dies from Brammo” is only partially correct. We purchased some manufacturing equipment from Brammo but no IP.
    • As stated, a Brammo built Ariel Atom 2 is a distinctly different vehicle than its UK made Atom 2 namesake, so it is not as simple as just calling to Ariel UK for parts. These vehicles are unique to themselves in addition to being very few in number. The last Brammo built Atom 2 was delivered in 2007. A license agreement was made in 2008 between TMI AutoTech and Ariel UK directly for the Ariel Atom 3 with no crossover to Brammo. With that said we did make a concerted effort in 2008 to purchase as many parts as possible for the Brammo built Atom 2 vehicles to be used going forward and have worked with customers as best possible to supply their needs. As with any niche market/small volume product, there will be parts and/or needs that just cannot be met after a certain amount of time for factors out of anyone’s control.

In regards to our conversation, I have to first determine what vehicle we are discussing. My first question is always “Is this *referenced part* for an Atom 3 or Atom 2”, this is obviously crucial in determining the next series of questions to fulfill a customer’s request. I explained that we did not have the gasket in question but offered solutions including that the gasket could be made (as another member just confirmed above). As you stated, I was also willing to discuss the differences in the Atom 2 and Atom 3 including crossover parts. I apologize if I came off as rude or condescending with the information provided.

In conclusion, a tremendous amount of effort goes into the Ariel brand on a daily basis, regardless of where a vehicle originated, and we will continue to do our best to help each customer even if that may result in the fact that no parts are available. I welcome any Atom owner to call me directly if they have questions about the brand as I am happy to relay the most accurate information.

Jesse Kenealy
    jkenealy@arielna.com
    434-575-1257

Country
    United States
    Thank you for the very PC reply. Still doesn't change the fact that on 2 occasions I have been snubbed. The person on the phone WAS NOT "willing to discuss the differences in the Atom 2 and Atom 3" including crossover parts. They stated that the bell cranks were interchangeable and there was a "short list" which is what I posted above. By your own admission, you did "purchased some manufacturing equipment from Brammo", so wouldn't it be prudent to compile a list of parts that ARE available to Atom 2/Brammo owners so that we are not stuck with redeveloping the wheel and TMI can make a sale?

FWIW, I'm glad that you came in the Ariel Atom Chat forum to try to "clarify information", it shows that you have a modicum of decency and it's appreciated. However, if you want to increase your customer base like most business do, IMHO, you need to adopt the business etiquette of the parent company, Ariel Motors and how they treat their and somebody else's customers; [copied from the Ariel Motor Co. website] - "Whether you bought your vehicle from us new, used or privately, if you have an Ariel you're part of the Ariel family and we're always here to help.

On another note and reinforcing the law "need inspires innovation", I found the following tools which are now on order so ANYONE else with this problem can solve it;
    https://www.amazon.com/General-Tools...=gasket+cutter
    To cut out the holes for the fasteners: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01L9CTMWE...&pd_rd_w=CfsrD

Last edited by 2/3rdsCobra; March 15, 2018 at 11:26 AM. Reason: additional info

Down Quark
    Country
    United States
    Finally some action on this forum...

Most manufacturers discontinue parts after around 10 years of production (Iíve run into this with many vehicles). But, aftermarket companies usually see a market for these parts and produce them for their customer base. Itís obvious that the market is too small to make it financially fessable for a company to produce Atom 2 parts.

For whatever itís worth, Jesse has always been accommodating with my questions and requests. I was looking at Atom 2ís but understood the parts availablity issue and decided to pass (Nomad order will be placed this winter!).

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast