Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
Like Tree29Likes

Thread: TMI sucks ass

Country
    United States
    Yay, Bolis is back.

I had my GM fuel pump fail too. I cut a hole in the firewall to get it out; engine in. Replaced the pump in the canister with an AEM methanol-compatible one. If it can survive meth, then it can survive e85. While I was in there I replaced the gaskets with some rubber/fiber fuel resistant material. I used the Ariel aluminum flanges as a guide and cut them with scissors and an exact-o. Been fine since 2013.

Neutron
    Country
    United States
    I check in occasionally. just seeing if people were talking about the 3RS. I miss my Atom. I wish I could have registered it here. I have a mountain road drive to work with a 2500 ft elevation change along the way. Not the same thing in a jeep.
    the high profile toy thrower

Country
    United States
    Quote Originally Posted by bolus View Post
    I only removed mine after I removed the engine. Most people have to drill out the rivets holding the aluminum firewall behind the seats to get to the pump assembly easier. The ones who did this installed rivet nuts instead so that you can make the firewall removable with just undoing screws. The drilled out rivets will be in your frame forever.

You might be able to get it out by removing the intake, throttle body, shock, ECU on the driver's side. The pump assembly is just barely smaller than the opening in the tank and needs to lift straight up. The fuel level float is off to the side so the assembly needs to be rotated when it is almost out to get that arm out as well. It was not easy even with the engine out of the car and me standing in the engine bay.

Dont bother trying to drop the whole tank from the bottom. That is actually more work.
    I have the SC, manifold, intake and ECU out because they are either getting replaced or upgraded. So, I gather it's going to be a bit like taking out the SC and mani; lift, wiggle, tilt and tug not in any particular order, lol.

Neutron
    Country
    United States
    Quote Originally Posted by 2/3rdsCobra View Post
    I have the SC, manifold, intake and ECU out because they are either getting replaced or upgraded. So, I gather it's going to be a bit like taking out the SC and mani; lift, wiggle, tilt and tug not in any particular order, lol.
    What do you mean, there was plenty of room in there

Even with the engine out it was not easy to get to the pump assembly

This is the assembly

the high profile toy thrower

Particle
    Country
    United States
    I had to pull the seats and the console and drill out 30ish rivets to get my fuel pump out. Thought I could do it with the console in but they hid 2 rivets under it. Once the panel is out the pump comes out rather easily. Rivnuts and allen screws went in the holes for ease of future removal. The rivets fall in the frame but its no more annoying than rocks/pebbles washing around in the bottom of the tub from sticky tires.

Had to modify the pump housing to get the new E85 pump in.

ALOT of gasket shrapnel was fished out of the bottom of the tank.

I trimmed up and reused the pump module gasket.

Jesse has been quite accommodating when I have had dealings with him.

My .02
    Last edited by CORNER CARVER; April 12, 2018 at 12:37 PM.
    Atommatt and jesse@tmi like this.

Fermion
    Country
    United States
    the fun part of owning the AA2, is shopping for more tools.. . I also had to do the same.. it was assumed in my household that either pay for manufactured parts or pay for tools to make your own... just in case manufactures don't make them anymore.. sometimes replacing or some people call it upgrading what is there is also common for best practice.

I used rivnuts to replace my firewall rivets.. now I can just plan for next time I have to take the pump out...

btw: I could not hear the old rivets in the frame.
    Atommatt likes this.

An FYI, as an Atom 3 owner. Jesse always has been super helpful and responsive to my inquiries. I think a lot of people don't realize how difficult it is for a limited production specialty manufacturer to provide after-sale support for their products, let alone their predecessors. This isn't a high profit business model.
    sector: 4 likes this.

Fermion
    Country
    United States
    I never experience any problem from TMI, especially from Jesse. Every single request (big or small) I asked, HE DELIVERS!!!

Jaime

Country
    United States
    One quick question to the new posters on the necro thread; what make Atom do you have? If it's a 3 or newer......
    06Arielatom and sector: 4 like this.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234