Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree29Likes

Thread: TMI sucks ass

Up Quark
    Country
    United States
    Since were on the subject of TMI are parts interchangeability are the side panels the same from the Atom 2 to the Atom 3? Looks like TMI is the only source for these?

Electron
    Country
    United States
    Quote Originally Posted by ShakaShaun View Post
    Since were on the subject of TMI are parts interchangeability are the side panels the same from the Atom 2 to the Atom 3? Looks like TMI is the only source for these?
    I don't believe the Atom 2 ever had the option for the side pods. I however was able to secure some side pods from a 3s and the main bracket portion does bolt right up. I do believe there were changes to the tub design so, the fiberglass covers do not run
    completely flush with the Atom 2 tub. I will be working on seeing what will need to be done so they will conform better to the 2 tub.
    2/3rdsCobra likes this.

Country
    United States
    Quote Originally Posted by 06Arielatom View Post
    I don't believe the Atom 2 ever had the option for the side pods. I however was able to secure some side pods from a 3s and the main bracket portion does bolt right up. I do believe there were changes to the tub design so, the fiberglass covers do not run
    completely flush with the Atom 2 tub. I will be working on seeing what will need to be done so they will conform better to the 2 tub.
    Wow, so now there three things plus "a very short list" that can cross over from the Atom 3 to the Atom 2; side pods, wind screens and bell cranks. I'll bet there's more.....

Down Quark
    Country
    United States
    Quote Originally Posted by 2/3rdsCobra View Post
    With as many people who are singing the praises of TMI as the 2nd coming of Atom 2 owners, maybe my experience(s) WERE the result of bad mexican food....
    Quote Originally Posted by 06Arielatom View Post
    Nope, I had the same experience with them as well.
    Wow, so now there three things plus "a very short list" that can cross over from the Atom 3 to the Atom 2; side pods, wind screens and bell cranks. I'll bet there's more.....
    I still don't know what you guys are on about or what your expectations are... Are you venting about not being able to get parts for your 10+ YO/bespoke car, or that TMI told you that parts are not available for your car (tone of the OP and others seem to be the latter)? Please don't ever buy a Lotus (or anything remotely close to a non mass-produced car). I had parts issues with a car half your car's age and never considered bashing them or asking for a full parts list of interchangeable parts between discontinued models, this is what forums and clubs are for.

Country
    United States
    Quote Originally Posted by shwagon View Post
    I still don't know what you guys are on about or what your expectations are... Are you venting about not being able to get parts for your 10+ YO/bespoke car, or that TMI told you that parts are not available for your car (tone of the OP and others seem to be the latter)? Please don't ever buy a Lotus (or anything remotely close to a non mass-produced car). I had parts issues with a car half your car's age and never considered bashing them or asking for a full parts list of interchangeable parts between discontinued models, this is what forums and clubs are for.
    OK, here ya go; 1. TMI reps treated me poorly and responded to my request(s) in a condescending manner, part availability aside. This is NOT a customary business practice here in the US. 2. TMI's claim that they "continue to do our best to help each customer" re; Atom 2 owners but also claim there is a "very short list" of transferable parts without listing those parts are in DIRECT opposition. Either cut Atom 2 owners loose or maybe take some time to itemize the "very short list" so Atom 2 owners can know what will/won't work and thus have more options re; part replacement/upgrades. FWIW, I don't have any current plans to purchase a Lotus but thank you for your advice .
    sector: 4 likes this.

Electron
    Country
    United States
    Quote Originally Posted by shwagon View Post
    Hello Shwagon,

I think your missing the point completely. If they had simply said, sorry we do not support that version of the car, then all would have been well. Just like 2/3rdsCobra, I received the same type of customer service from Jesse. And sorry, Lotus's are too slow for my likes.
    2/3rdsCobra and sector: 4 like this.

Neutron
    Country
    United States
    Things to consider for an Atom 2 gasket

1. The mounting setup
    2. Gasket material

The early Atom2 like the one I owned had a ring of aluminum inside the tank that was just held in by the out side bolts. So when you are removing the filler tube, dont remove the last bolt unless you are sure nothing is going to fall off inside the tank. I dont know how I would have retrieved that part if it fell into the tank.

for the gasket, get a fuel impervious gasket sheet. I had a spare but my gasket was nitrile cork so I did not need to replace it. You can buy nitrile or nitrile cork in square sheets. Just cut it to size with scissors or a xacto knife. You wont find a pre-made one that will likely fit.

If your existing gasket is breaking down it is probably clogging up the inside the tank filters and your outside the tank fuel filter as well. I'd recommend replacing those. The inside the tank fuel filter parts are probably on here somewhere.
    the high profile toy thrower

Blog Entries
    Country
    United States
    BOLUS ? Is that you ?

Country
    United States
    Quote Originally Posted by bolus View Post
    Things to consider for an Atom 2 gasket

1. The mounting setup
    2. Gasket material

The early Atom2 like the one I owned had a ring of aluminum inside the tank that was just held in by the out side bolts. So when you are removing the filler tube, dont remove the last bolt unless you are sure nothing is going to fall off inside the tank. I dont know how I would have retrieved that part if it fell into the tank.

for the gasket, get a fuel impervious gasket sheet. I had a spare but my gasket was nitrile cork so I did not need to replace it. You can buy nitrile or nitrile cork in square sheets. Just cut it to size with scissors or a xacto knife. You wont find a pre-made one that will likely fit.

If your existing gasket is breaking down it is probably clogging up the inside the tank filters and your outside the tank fuel filter as well. I'd recommend replacing those. The inside the tank fuel filter parts are probably on here somewhere.
    I found viton material in 1/8 in thick, the same thickness as the original material on my Atom. I'll be replacing the fuel pump w/an AEM E85 safe unit which also includes the inlet filter sock. Any tips on getting the pump structure out of the tank?

Neutron
    Country
    United States
    I found viton material in 1/8 in thick, the same thickness as the original material on my Atom. I'll be replacing the fuel pump w/an AEM E85 safe unit which also includes the inlet filter sock. Any tips on getting the pump structure out of the tank?
    I only removed mine after I removed the engine. Most people have to drill out the rivets holding the aluminum firewall behind the seats to get to the pump assembly easier. The ones who did this installed rivet nuts instead so that you can make the firewall removable with just undoing screws. The drilled out rivets will be in your frame forever.

You might be able to get it out by removing the intake, throttle body, shock, ECU on the driver's side. The pump assembly is just barely smaller than the opening in the tank and needs to lift straight up. The fuel level float is off to the side so the assembly needs to be rotated when it is almost out to get that arm out as well. It was not easy even with the engine out of the car and me standing in the engine bay.

Dont bother trying to drop the whole tank from the bottom. That is actually more work.
    2/3rdsCobra likes this.
    the high profile toy thrower

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast