Thread: Atom 2 Bubble Windscreen Extension/Spoiler

Fermion
    Country
    United States

Atom 2 Bubble Windscreen Extension/Spoiler

Not really a project, more a custom add. On my Ariel Atom 2 I was having a hard time being a taller guy who sits higher than most. The wind was seeming to compress directly at my face and so I wore a helmet, but the wind pushed it back and buffeted it, causing strain when driving for some time on the freeway or similar speeds.

Found the MRA X-Creen Sport Add-On Variable Windscreen Spoiler Blade. It fits very well with the existing bubbles and doesn't look that bad, although it is a little larger than I'm sure most would want, it seems to fit in with the look. I started with clamping mine on but liked it enough I drilled holes and bolted it on which cleaned up the look a bit. Its completely adjustable so if you don't want it in your field of vision you can lower it all the way down, or just a little bit to the front.

MRA has two versions, the "Touring" and the "Sport", both in clear or smoke. I printed out a layout of each and realized the Sport looked smaller in photos/videos than it was in real life, and went with that in smoke. Go with the smoke, not the clear, it matches the existing bubbles more and isn't too dark even when driving at night. The Touring model was huge, as wide as the hole bubble at the base. Part of me wants to try it to see even how much better the wind could deflect with it, but it's just too big for my taste.

In the end it made a HUGE difference in airflow. Most of the time I drive it without a helmet now and it takes care of most of the wind hitting my face. It also deflects bugs for the most part, and bird shit (ask me how I know) very well. No more stings to the face with the little bugs, or cleaning the helmet/glasses. The adjust-ability is very nice as sometimes I lower it if I want it out of my way a little more. I still get some wind noise in my ears even when flat like in the photos, but lately have been wearing ear plugs for longer drives anyhow. It's still better than stock.

Check out review video here, or purchase it. I bought it from the site and their customer service was very good. Got it in 2 days, same day shipment!: MRA X-creen Sport Add-On Variable Windscreen Spoiler Blade (bolt-on and clamp-on hardware included) | TwistedThrottle.com

Here are some photos of it installed.

0206181821_HDR.jpg

0206181752b_HDR.jpg

0206181822_HDR.jpg

0206181752a_HDR.jpg

0206181822a_HDR.jpg
    Last edited by Bravo25; February 6, 2018 at 07:28 PM.

Particle
    Country
    United States
    Thanks for the write-up. Looks like that works well!

Fermion
    Country
    United States
    Excellent work! Like the adjustability of it.

Up Quark
    Country
    United States
    Thanks for this post - I think I'm going to do the same on my atom... Curious if the bubbles have provided enough structural integrity for this windscreen? Any issues at triple digit speed? Thanks Again!

jid
    Blind Apex
    Country
    United States
    Quote Originally Posted by GTOScott View Post
    Thanks for this post - I think I'm going to do the same on my atom... Curious if the bubbles have provided enough structural integrity for this windscreen? Any issues at triple digit speed? Thanks Again!
    I’ve used these on bikes before with great success. Brilliant idea for the A2. Just ordered 2 from amazon. But the off-brand. 35ea. Great idea!!

Fermion
    Country
    United States
    At triple digit speeds I feel like they were still effective, perhaps a little less just because of the amount of air coming at you.

I feel like they are VERY structurally sound, never had a feeling of it bending or anything on the peices or bubble under it. I ended up ordering a windshield and installing it, but kept the bubbles with deflectors still installed. If anyone in SoCal wants to try the bubbles with it before modding their car (even though I think they have a clamp they sell with it too) you're welcome to mount my bubbles!

Really it made such a huge difference I even considered ordering a larger deflector at the time.

Up Quark
    Country
    United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Bravo25 View Post
    At triple digit speeds I feel like they were still effective, perhaps a little less just because of the amount of air coming at you.

I feel like they are VERY structurally sound, never had a feeling of it bending or anything on the peices or bubble under it. I ended up ordering a windshield and installing it, but kept the bubbles with deflectors still installed. If anyone in SoCal wants to try the bubbles with it before modding their car (even though I think they have a clamp they sell with it too) you're welcome to mount my bubbles!

Really it made such a huge difference I even considered ordering a larger deflector at the time.
    Thanks for the info/reply! I've installed the MRA X-creens on my atom and very happy with the results... Much less wind noise around my ears and can wear a hat without it blowing off now. I plan to mount a bar across the dash/width of the cockpit to mount two MRA full size motorcycle windscreens eventually, but for now these are great! (I used the clamp on mounts)