Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: How often do you wear a helmet on the road?

Gluon
    Country
    United States

How often do you wear a helmet on the road?

I just bought my Atom 3 (with windshield) and attempted my drive home with a helmet because it was 20F. Unfortunately, the Toyo R888s hate cold and one just disintegrated, leaving me stranded five hours from home well below freezing at 10PM.

After I got new tires, and it warmed up a bit, I found myself opting not to wear a helmet most of my drives. Unfortunately, without a helmet, there's nowhere to rest my head and I fear in an accident, hitting my head against the fiberglass seat without a helmet would hurt like hell (and likely concussion).

That said, I've decided to build some easily removable headrests for when I don't have a helmet on. Wondering if there would be any interest in them if I made multiple sets? I figure I'll get a discount from the upholstery shop if I get more than one set made.

In my couple hundred miles I've driven, I'd estimate I've only worn the helmet 40% of the time, and I anticipate that to be lower as the weather warms up further.

Country
    United States
    "Unfortunately, the Toyo R888s hate cold and one just disintegrated, leaving me stranded five hours from home well below freezing at 10PM."

Well, that sucks. I've never heard of a tire disintegrating because of cold weather. I run R888's but never below about 45 degrees.

I had a chunk of metal encased in rubber fly up from the road on the freeway and it caved in the hood of my Audi pretty good one day, so I always wear a helmet when on the freeway for more than a few miles, after realizing what that would have done to my forehead. I also wear when it's cold out just to keep my head warm. I also wear to avoid answering boorish questions like "How much did your car cost?" when stopped at lights.

I guess the only time I don't wear a helmet is when I'm just puttering a few miles around the neighborhood for a few minutes.

image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

I think people are going to want to see your headrest and know how much a headrest costs before ordering them, so you'll probably have to make one for yourself first.
    Last edited by sector: 4; January 31, 2018 at 03:37 PM.
    2/3rdsCobra likes this.

Gluon
    Country
    United States
    Yeah, that's my plan. I made a prototype, but it sucks, because the vinyl creased around the foam where I wrapped it... way too awful to post pics. I need to enlist someone who can actually sew to create the wrap. I'm guessing is going to be pricey, hoping to get quotes in the next week.

Based on the windshield, most objects seem like they'd hit the windshield before my face. I guess I could take a rock to my receding hairline. The biggest thing I didn't expect was how much louder the intake is on the VTEC than it was on my buddy's Brammo with the supercharger (which also sounds way better than naturally aspirated). I have been putting in earbuds just to cut the pain at WOT.

The Toyo R888s were basically plastic at 20F, broke loose in 3rd gear, and then eventually, one just had about 1/4 of the sidewall come apart.

Country
    United States
    A helmet will help in a roll-over too. You might get hit in the side and be pushed over a curb or something and flip and scrape your skull on the ground, or spin out and hit your head on a pole. All kinds of things can happen. The windshield is only good for bugs and pebbles. It's not a piece of safety equipment.

Yea, post some pics of the headrest when you're ready but don't expect too much of a response. This forum seems pretty dead these days and there really isn't much of a market for Atom accessories to begin with.

That's pretty crazy about your tire. I can't ever see myself ever driving an open car in freezing temps like that, so I guess I don't have to worry.
    Last edited by sector: 4; January 31, 2018 at 05:09 PM.

Fermion
    Country
    United States
    I have an Atom 2 with those bubbles and hated wearing a helmet at first because I'm a taller guy and my helmet was just getting pushed back, buffeting some, and the strain on my neck really wore me out. I modified the bubbles with an add-on bonnet extension and now don't mind wearing a helmet as much.

I wear a helmet usually when doing longer rides on the freeway. Protects my face from debris on the freeway and also its more comfortable.

Even with the bubble modifications made I am dying to get a windshield though and have been trying to get one from TMI for 2 months. They're back ordered presently due to delays with construction in the UK. After getting the windshield I anticipate wearing a helmet less.

Oh and I have the ecotec supercharged model and still if I'm driving without a helmet wear earplugs, as the exhaust is really loud still! If the honda version is louder, I couldn't imagine not having them in if you're on it!

Country
    United States
    Snipped a bit -
    Quote Originally Posted by sector: 4 View Post
    I also wear to avoid answering boorish questions like "How much did your car cost?" when stopped at lights.
    Ugh, I HATE this. I don't have any problem answering questions about the car like, "is it fast, have you raced it, is it street legal" or even dealing with obnoxious people who just want to comment with "you're missing some of your car", but when people ask how much it costs, I just say, "It was allot". I've actually had a few dumbasses respond to that with comments like "I know it's allot but how much is allot?" Then I say, "I said allot to be considerate in hopes you would get the hint that I'm not going to answer that question".

I found that having the Atom brings people out and they are curious about the car. You have to be accommodating to a large extent when you have this type of car.
    06Arielatom and sector: 4 like this.

Country
    United States
    Some people just have no class at all. I feel like answering rude questions like that just dignifies the question and makes me guilty of contributing to the de-evolution of society, and I really don't care to do that.

I think I'm either going to start telling them "$5,000" or "About as much as a Porsche", and let them figure it out. Knuckleheads.

Electron
    Country
    United States
    I never wear a helmet. I picked one up when I purchased my Atom; however, could never get comfy with it. I wear a Savephace paintball mask or skydiving goggles. The paintball mask for longer/faster drives to avoid rocks. The goggles for cruising around at non-highway speeds or on sections of road that I know are clean/empty.
    2/3rdsCobra likes this.

Gluon
    Country
    United States
    Quote Originally Posted by sector: 4 View Post
    A helmet will help in a roll-over too. You might get hit in the side and be pushed over a curb or something and flip and scrape your skull on the ground, or spin out and hit your head on a pole. All kinds of things can happen. The windshield is only good for bugs and pebbles. It's not a piece of safety equipment.

Yea, post some pics of the headrest when you're ready but don't expect too much of a response. This forum seems pretty dead these days and there really isn't much of a market for Atom accessories to begin with.

That's pretty crazy about your tire. I can't ever see myself ever driving an open car in freezing temps like that, so I guess I don't have to worry.
    It definitely wasn't my first choice. I booked a flight to pick it up a few weeks prior, then a few days before I left, it was looking like it was going to be unseasonably cold. I packed long underwear, snow pants, a few more layers on top and changed in the airport bathroom before getting in the car. My most direct route got hammered with snow the night before, so I was forced into a couple hour detour south, but I didn't even make it that far. The tire gave out around 100 miles into the trip, and my girlfriend had to drive five hours to get me after I found a trailer on Craigslist along her route. In retrospect, I should have just bought a trailer and towed it home from the start, but the average temp should have been 40-50s not 20-30s with snow.

My biggest fear is not being T-boned and flipping while scraping my skull... it's rear-ending someone as the car wedges underneath theirs, just realizing that in about .2 seconds my head is going to pop like a grape.

Quote Originally Posted by 2/3rdsCobra View Post
    Ugh, I HATE this. I don't have any problem answering questions about the car like, "is it fast, have you raced it, is it street legal" or even dealing with obnoxious people who just want to comment with "you're missing some of your car", but when people ask how much it costs, I just say, "It was allot". I've actually had a few dumbasses respond to that with comments like "I know it's allot but how much is allot?" Then I say, "I said allot to be considerate in hopes you would get the hint that I'm not going to answer that question".

I found that having the Atom brings people out and they are curious about the car. You have to be accommodating to a large extent when you have this type of car.
    Two people have asked me what kind of fuel economy I get! Oh, you assume I was torn between the go-kart car or a Prius? I've had the cost question twice, and I said, "probably more than you'd think, but worth every penny." My neighbor won't let it go, since he thinks I'm the cheapest person alive based on my daily driver is a smashed-up $1500 POS that I've never washed in the three years I've owned it.
    2/3rdsCobra likes this.

Particle
    Country
    United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Bravo25 View Post
    I modified the bubbles with an add-on bonnet extension
    Do you have any pictures of your bubble extension? When I drive my AA2, I can put two fingers across the bubble and it deflects enough air over my head. So I am contemplating some kind of extension.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast