Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By cvjoint

Thread: Troubleshooting: silver grease w/ metallic shavings sprayed over engine by oil filter

Country
    United States

Troubleshooting: silver grease w/ metallic shavings sprayed over engine by oil filter

I noticed bits of metallic grease get sprayed all over the engine by the oil filter and where the driveshaft seems to have a rubber boot. I cleaned it during oil change and now the engine is dirty with it again after one track day.

I can't see any of the grease on the driveshaft itself or around the boot, but is this signaling a driveshaft going out?

Here is a photo indicating the location:

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y21...psopzxdbja.jpg

The Atom is a K24 powered 2013 SRA.

ejo
    Country
    United States
    Is there any play in the driveshaft? Sometimes the clip that holds the driveshaft in place will wear and cause the driveshaft to experience a little play. You could also try cleaning the boot thoroughly and checking for very small cracks. Is the grease getting sprayed on the exhaust and frame as well?

Country
    United States
    There is no grease on exhaust or frame, seems like it only goes towards the block. I'll check for play. The boot seems fine but perhaps it's slipping out from under it.

ejo
    Country
    United States
    OK. If it were axle grease it would be everywhere due to the axle spinning. Did you change the oil filter when you did the oil change? There could be a small tear in the oil filter gasket(not likely), or the oil filter could have backed out a little. Check to see if there are any sharp edges where the oil filter seals. Also check the oil pan gasket. If it has a nick or tear in it that could be your problem. Have you checked to see if it is leaking while just sitting in the driveway or does it only leak when driven(under load).
    Is the fluid Oil or grease?

Country
    United States
    Quote Originally Posted by ejo View Post
    OK. If it were axle grease it would be everywhere due to the axle spinning. Did you change the oil filter when you did the oil change? There could be a small tear in the oil filter gasket(not likely), or the oil filter could have backed out a little. Check to see if there are any sharp edges where the oil filter seals. Also check the oil pan gasket. If it has a nick or tear in it that could be your problem. Have you checked to see if it is leaking while just sitting in the driveway or does it only leak when driven(under load).
    Is the fluid Oil or grease?

It's definitely grease, not oil. It's so sliver that when you press it between fingers it colors your skin. I changed the oil filter, cleaned up the block too, and then got filled up with grease again after just 1 track day. I remember cleaning the oil block where the oil filter seals and it was machined very smooth. It's 100% not engine oil.

ejo
    Country
    United States
    Ok. It must be from the axle. There isn't anywhere else that uses grease.

Country
    United States
    Thanks Ejo, yes I think that's what I'm thinking as well. Jesse at TMI suggested the clamp needs to be tightened/replaced. I'll start there and if that doesn't do it I'll replace the boot.

Country
    United States
    Update: driveshaft is fine, boot is fine. Turns out the boot clamp was losing steam. Replaced the grease and put on a new clamp.

So far looks like the car had ~33 track days, 5 years of use. Total items fixed CV boot clamp and an o ring. Total cost at the shop $120
    2/3rdsCobra likes this.

Country
    United States
    Glad to hear that it wasn't anything too serious.