Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best track wheel/tire combo poll...

Gluon
    Country
    United States

Best track wheel/tire combo poll...

Apologies in advance as bits of info I am asking for are scattered throughout other posts but I thought it would be good to have it in one place....

For those that track your car and put thought and effort into picking wheels/tire sizes/compound... Can you share please
    1. Current wheel vendor, size and tire vendor, size, compound you are running. Any issues with setup?
    2. Same as above but if you had to start from scratch (e.g. not tied to exiting wheels, trailer size, etc - but only list commercially available options)

Thanks in advance.

Country
    United States
    Next time you'll see me at the track I will have the Kaizer 15x10 front and 15x14 rear with Hoosier R25b. I'll try to make Jan 13 track day with OnGrid.

So far my theory has been verified by data. The wider and softer tires are the fastest.

ejo
    Country
    United States
    CV, where did you buy the Kaizer's?

Country
    United States
    Quote Originally Posted by ejo View Post
    CV, where did you buy the Kaizer's?
    Bought Lane's used set. Amazing set of wheels. My only gripe with them is the magnesium centers which are kind of weak. I hope they stay together for a season at least.

Gluon
    Country
    United States
    Where did you get the tires and what were exact models? I can't find 15x10 or 15x14 in Hoosier R25b... Thanks

Considering 949 racing wheels - they go up to 12in if needed.

Quote Originally Posted by cvjoint View Post
    Next time you'll see me at the track I will have the Kaizer 15x10 front and 15x14 rear with Hoosier R25b. I'll try to make Jan 13 track day with OnGrid.

So far my theory has been verified by data. The wider and softer tires are the fastest.

ejo
    Country
    United States
    I just purchased 949 racing wheels. 15x9 front and 15x11 rear. Being that I'm in Northeast PA it will be a while until I can try them out.

Country
    United States
    RB25 are discontinued in that size. I got two sets with the wheels. R35 or IL is the softest compound for these sizes.

Ion
    Country
    United States
    Hey guys - I just bought a new to me SRA and have a few questions about tires - this seems a good a place as any to ask:

- It's wearing the stock rims - can anyone tell me the size of those rims and the recommended tire sizes for them (haven't picked the car up yet)?
    - Regarding the tires - wasn't the Hoosier R7 (or A7?) the spec tire? Is that a good choice or, as mentioned above, something softer?

Thanks, Brad

Country
    United States
    Stockers are 15" by 7" all corners. Ideal wheel to tire ratio is to match the contact patch with the wheel width, for example, best wheel for a 245 section tire is 10" wide. However, that ratio will get you very narrow tires like 195 or 205 at best on stock wheels. If you ask which tires are the fastest on the stock wheels, the 200/245 combo I ran on the stock wheels was the fastest.

R7 is the spec tire 205/225. It's clearly much too hard for the job. Optimal temp is around 190*. The hottest I got them was 140*/170* on a 100*+ day. Now, if you want to save money than R7 will do it. They'll last you the whole season. I think most folks will tell you A7 is best. If you don't restrict yourself to DOT tires there are many options in the racing world for soft slicks. I've been testing a whole bunch.

Ion
    Country
    United States
    Thanks for the info cvjoint.

I prioritize longevity over ultimate grip so R7 may be the ticket for me, at least for now (its got R7s on it at the moment anyway). Looking down the road - any guidance on number of cycles you can get out of A7s? Or R35, etc?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast